C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

...opti spark future.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 02:27 PM
corvette1271
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ...opti spark future..... (GlockLT4)

...so that brings me back to the mileage again on the unit in front of this engine....that it will have to be replaced sooner or later.....and mileage on the unit now is 94k.......so if that part of the job has to be done, then a replacement is in order just to make it cost effective.......just to make it worth my time.....starting to make sense now....
Old 04-30-2004, 03:58 PM
corvette1271
Racer

Default Re: ...opti spark future..... (corvette1271)

....and then perhaps the dynaspark is not that bad of a choice then......
Old 04-30-2004, 04:35 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

....and then perhaps the dynaspark is not that bad of a choice then......
This is where I'm headed if my opti goes out again. :thumbs:
Old 04-30-2004, 05:39 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Default Re: ...opti spark future..... (GlockLT4)

it still uses the opti for timing... if your bearings go out in the opti (like usual) then you still have to replace the opti.
I should have been more specific in my earlier post so this statement wouldn't have been repeated. The GM opti doesn't have a bearing it has a BUSHING which is part of the problem. The DynaSpark replaces the bushing with a BALL BEARING which is much better. I know I miss-spoke earlier when I said the GM opti's bearings fail. They don't have bearings in the first place. :mad
Old 05-03-2004, 11:45 AM
corvette1271
Racer

Default Re: ...opti spark future..... (R94 LT 1)

...well thanks for your time and info....it appears that a dynaspark might be the way to go......i will have to research prices for that unit.....
Old 05-03-2004, 01:16 PM
ninetyfivevette
Burning Brakes

I don't think replacing an opti with another opti is going to solve a thing. Even with upgraded bearings, seals, etc, a cap and rotor failure is in your future NO MATTER WHAT. That is inevitable and cannot be prevented. Going with the Delteq or LTCC takes the cap and rotor out of the equation, eliminating the weakest part of the system and brings your ignitions system towards today's state of the art.

Personally I went with the Delteq, and love it. The Northstar coil can be had for around $100 on ebay or through a salvage yard, and the barebones kit from Delteq is $350, so you're just left with buying wires from them for another $45 or cutting your own. Going that route, it is the cheapest alternative.

[Modified by ninetyfivevette, 12:17 PM 5/3/2004]
Old 05-03-2004, 02:23 PM
corvette1271
Racer

Default Re: ...opti spark future..... (ninetyfivevette)

...back in the course of this discussion......there was mention made that even with a delteq system........there is the reliance on the old optispark....i guess implying that now the old unit is the weak spot in the new system since it still provides the timing?.....
Old 05-03-2004, 04:04 PM
ninetyfivevette
Burning Brakes

The weakest portion of the optispark is not the optical section, it is the cap and rotor. Those parts will fail even on a pristine car that has never had a leaky water pump and has never seen rain or a puddle. Unless the opti has been flooded and/or you have rust and corrosion built-up, the optical section should be pretty hard to kill.

The stage 2 Delteq system replaces the optical section of the opti with a traditional magnetic trigger which should be rock solid. That is a $170 option, but is still in testing phases last time I talked with them. That would be the best solution in my opinion.

Old 05-03-2004, 04:24 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Default Re: ...opti spark future..... (ninetyfivevette)

The weakest portion of the optispark is not the optical section, it is the cap and rotor. Those parts will fail even on a pristine car that has never had a leaky water pump and has never seen rain or a puddle. Unless the opti has been flooded and/or you have rust and corrosion built-up, the optical section should be pretty hard to kill.

The stage 2 Delteq system replaces the optical section of the opti with a traditional magnetic trigger which should be rock solid. That is a $170 option, but is still in testing phases last time I talked with them. That would be the best solution in my opinion.
While I'll agree with your statement that the optical section is reliable, just because it's working doesn't mean the other things won't cause problems. The 4 optis that I have had go out and most of the other ones that I'm aware of were electrical or bushing problems. Either of those two will shut down an opti whether the sensor is fine or not.

As far as the above post concerning pricing of the DynaSpark, it's only available at the listed location above and it's $599 + shipping.

Quick Reply: ...opti spark future.....