C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine
Old 03-06-2015, 01:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Easy "89" fuel filter change.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 04:26 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Easy "89" fuel filter change.

After reading several posts on how difficult and messy it is to replace the fuel filter, I found it to be just as easy as any other GM fuel filter I've replaced in the past.

Here's how I did it:

(1) Drive the Vette onto Rino Ramps.

(2) Remove gas cap and attach a fuel pressure gauge which has a bleed off valve (I bought mine from Autozone for $45) to the fuel rail and bleed off excess fuel into a container.

(3) Remove two (easy to get to) 10mm bolts that hold a little heat shield on near the fuel filter.

(4) Remove one 10mm fuel filter strap bolt.

(5) Loosen and remove the fuel line on the Engine Side of the fuel filter First (about a 1/2 cup of fuel will drip out but, can be easily wiped up and will evaporate quickly). Using a Crescent wrench, hold the nut on the fuel filter while using a 5/8" open end wrench to loosen the fuel line.

(6) Loosen and remove the fuel line from the Fuel Tank side of the fuel filter (just a little fuel should drip out).

(7) Now, just remove the old fuel filter and install the new fuel filter making sure the arrow on the filter points in the direction of the fuel flow.

I did this with a Full Tank of fuel and on a hot engine. The pre-cats cooled off within minutes so, any spraying fuel would not ignite.

Also, all fuel line nuts were very easy to reach and loosen while laying on my back just slightly underneath the vehicle.

Remember, this is on my "89" Vette Coupe with a 700r4 auto and L98 engine using an AC Delco fuel filter which cost me $27.43 from the dealer.

A little fuel did run on my arm but, not enough to soak my shirt or anything like that. It took me less than a half hour from start to finish :thumbs: Not hard at all!

[Modified by GKK, 7:19 PM 4/30/2004]
Old 05-01-2004, 01:53 AM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Easy "89" fuel filter change. (GKK)

"After reading several posts on how difficult and messy it is to replace the fuel filter, I found it to be just as easy as any other GM fuel filter I've replaced in the past."

Try changing the fuel filter on a '92. I will believe you afterwards.
I was just released from the mental hospital after changing mine. :lolg:

Quick Reply: Easy "89" fuel filter change.