C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Legal Engine Mods in CA

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 10:36 AM
Langadorf
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legal Engine Mods in CA

I'm about to move to San Diego and want to know what level of engine modification is legal in CA.

Currently, I'm in TX and have a C3 with a modern 383 LT1 w/ 11.7:1 compression, Comp Cams CC306, "Stage II" heads, Hooker long tubes, and absolutely no emissions equipment. I know this will never pass inspection in CA, so I'm planning on selling it here and possibly getting a C4 in San Diego.

However, I don't want to bother buying a newer 'Vette if I can't modify it to somewhere near the performance level of my current car. What options are there for LT1/LT4 CA 'Vettes? Can you put in a good head/cam package and pass emissions? What about 383/396 motors? Are exhaust cutouts legal (the leaving the factory cat/muffler setup intact until needed)? What about headers?

Just trying to learn more about what's possible in advance.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 08-16-2004, 10:43 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What year is your C3? It's possible that it's old enough to be exempt.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:07 AM
Langadorf
Pro

It's a '79. I think the cutoff year for exemptions is '75.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:15 AM
gleninsandiego
Safety Car

Received 1,065 Likes on 583 Posts

It is ugly here in California. Generally all factory emissions equipment must be on the car. And generally, inspection stations stick to the letter of the law. While others could offer more specific answers to your questions, my suggestion to you is stick with 1974 and older cars if you want to modify them. In California, those cars are smog exempt.
Also, if you are thinking about getting another car, it is simpler to get a car after you get to California with a California title. Saves you paperwork and inspection hassles.

Glenn in San Dieo
Old 08-16-2004, 11:48 AM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

There is such a hodgepodge of requirements it's all most impossible to summarize them. It is ok to put a later model engine in your vehicle, but it must include all of the smog equipment so you are probably smart to sell your vehicle before you move. The registration and smog test requirements are here: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm

Some, if not a lot of new residents, attempt to keep their out of State registration as long as possible. Unless you are in the military, you must register within 20 days. The CHP has created a link on their website for p.o'd residents to turn in their neighbor - not terribly difficult to get motivated about when you're paying outrageous registration fees and/or forced to meet the smog regs.

There are plenty of Vettes in CA as historically, a fifth of each year's production is sold here and prices, at this time, appear to be cheap (as opposed to housing which is another story altogether).
Old 08-16-2004, 11:53 AM
Langadorf
Pro

But what about modifying a later model vehicle? Is it legal to put in a hot head/cam package as far as emissions goes?
Old 08-16-2004, 11:55 AM
2manyfuncars
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default CA smog

There is a lot more work required in CA to get the same performance as a state that only requires specs to be met. If you are creative and willing to do a bit more work every couple of years you can do pretty well, but it has to look stock or have CARB approved mods everywhere visible. It also has to pass the specs. A very large hurdle in CA is the lack of smog approved long tube headers for c4's. C5's have a lot more CARB approved options and have come down in price a lot. Certainly easier to get in and out of than a lowered C4 too.

Good luck
Old 08-16-2004, 12:12 PM
Langadorf
Pro

How would a decent shape, decent mileage '96 C4 compare w/ a '97 C5 in price?
Old 08-16-2004, 01:19 PM
qkvette
Racer

i have a 383 LT4 motor in my 92 w/ hot cam. it passes smog with no problems. i think as long as you have the smog equipment on the vehicle, you should be okay. good luck and welcome to california.

joel
Old 08-16-2004, 02:41 PM
Alcee1
Melting Slicks

I agree that no smog station can tell if you have a hot cam or heads, but if they see that you have all the smog junk in place you should be ok, I'm going to try and put on non smog legal headers with all the smog hook-ups and see if I can pass . All the mods i've done so far have a CARB# but I don't have any posted anywhere on the car, I don't want to give these guys any reason to start looking. Wish me luck on the headers......
Old 08-16-2004, 06:00 PM
Langadorf
Pro

So head/cam changes don't effect the contents of your emissions? I would imagine they would if you got even a slight bit radical. Any other experience w/ this?
Old 08-16-2004, 08:31 PM
Alcee1
Melting Slicks

Visually they can't tell, if your car has been modified and it burns clean then you shouldn't worry. All my mods have CARB#'s but if you install something that has no CARB # I think your taking a chance. If the smog geek looks at your engine a to the best of his knowledge see's that everything is in place you should be fine.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:53 PM
Rick86
Burning Brakes

Best Mod is to put Nevada plates on your car
Old 08-17-2004, 12:17 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Keep in mind that you can still fail California's emissions test with CARB certified aftermarket parts.

All CARB (California Air Resource Board) parts are designed and tested to individually meet California's emission standards on a Stock Engine only Not in conjunction with other CARB certified parts.

So, for example, if your vehicle fails the emissions test and you installed CARB certified headers, high flow Catalytic converters and Ignition components, all of those parts were not certified to be run together (even though they are legal to be installed on the engine) and any one of those components might be interfering with the emission outcome.

I received this information from California's Bureau of Automotive Repair when my Camaro failed with numerous CARB certified parts.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:33 AM
redvtt
Team Owner

Location: All great change begins at the dinner table Ronald Reagan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can also supercharge, it's legal here. You can gain about 150-200hp (or more) by adding a supercharger to a stock LS1 engine. One C5 in my club have installed this about a year ago, makes about 550hp.
It's very easy to pull about 400 - 450hp out of a 350 SBC w/cam, lifters, springs, pocket porting, etc.
Lots of people & shops can help.

Last edited by redvtt; 08-17-2004 at 12:42 AM.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:07 AM
EPiC Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alcee1
Visually they can't tell, if your car has been modified and it burns clean then you shouldn't worry.... If the smog geek looks at your engine a to the best of his knowledge see's that everything is in place you should be fine.
This is what I was told at my last "checkup". Basically, if they "see" that there's emission stuff in place, AND if the little pipe they stick in the exhaust reads "OK", you're good. The little pipe just has to go in behind the catyletic converter.
This, I was told, includes "modified" vehicles.

BTW, I passed (slightly modded)

Get notified of new replies

To Legal Engine Mods in CA

Quick Reply: Legal Engine Mods in CA