C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

MAF problems, the follow up

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 03:56 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 436 Likes on 250 Posts

Default MAF problems, the follow up

About three weeks ago after a short WOT run the car would not idle and could barley make it the 2 miles home with all its bucking and snorting. There were NO trouble codes and with the MAF unplugged it ran much better and seemed to point to a bad MAF. I was out of town for a couple weeks and today was the first time I could mess with it. All the voltages were present (+5V from ECM & 12V from relay) and no opens on the two ground lines. Since I do not have a scanner, what I could not do was check the analog signal from the MAF. I decided to throw down the change for another MAF and that did the trick, all seems normal now, although I have not taken her out for a good gallop yet. Just an FYI.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:02 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 87SAM
About three weeks ago after a short WOT run the car would not idle and could barley make it the 2 miles home with all its bucking and snorting. There were NO trouble codes and with the MAF unplugged it ran much better and seemed to point to a bad MAF. I was out of town for a couple weeks and today was the first time I could mess with it. All the voltages were present (+5V from ECM & 12V from relay) and no opens on the two ground lines. Since I do not have a scanner, what I could not do was check the analog signal from the MAF. I decided to throw down the change for another MAF and that did the trick, all seems normal now, although I have not taken her out for a good gallop yet. Just an FYI.
You probably nailed it.

MAF problems can sometimes be a little tricky to diagnose. You may not always get an error code.

One sure way to find out is to install a known good MAF and if the engine runs normally again, then you can be sure you have a bad MAF.

Jake
Old 08-16-2004, 07:33 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

When I had MAF problems on my '88 Vette the only way I could turely isolate the problem was to sub the MAF from my '86 IROC.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:42 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

How well does an engine run with the MAF unplugged.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:31 AM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 436 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Joslinm
How well does an engine run with the MAF unplugged.
Way better than a screwed up MAF I never took it out for a drive with the MAF disconected but it idled fine and rev'ed well. The built in table or what ever it runs off seems to work pretty well.

Get notified of new replies

To MAF problems, the follow up

Quick Reply: MAF problems, the follow up