C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rear wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 10:34 PM
Daves90
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel bearing

How tuff are they ?? Where can I get some ? Any advice on the install ?? Getting what sounded like brake drag in the rear.. Flushed, new stainless lines.. New master cylinder.. still sounds the same. Rotors are straight. Could be bearings ?? Car has 126K on it..

Thank You,
Daves90
Old 09-11-2004, 08:49 AM
Getsom
Intermediate

Dave,

l just replaced mine two weeks ago, it took about three hours having not done it before it wasn't that hard to work out.

How tuff are they ??- like all moving part they ware out depends on how you treat them to how long they last (ie side ways action)

Could be bearings ?? - jack up the back of your car and see how much play/movement there is from side to side , there should be next to none (mine had .5 to.75 of a inch, about the same amount of mile as yours).

Any advice on the install ?? - make sure you tenshion all the bolt to the correct amount you may need a work shop manual for this, if you don't they will wear out a lot quicker.

Getsom (Australia)
Old 09-11-2004, 11:01 AM
87 rag
Drifting

I replaced my rear passenger side this year and was surprised at how easy it was. It did take me a couple of days with an hour or two here and an hour or two there. I also replaced my U-joints on that half shaft while I was in there and looking back should have done the bushings.
The things that slowed me down the most were the spindle nut which I just couldn't get off (and broke a couple of wrenches trying) and one of the torx bolts that hold the bearing/hub in place. That one I needed to torch and use an impact wrench, it still took an hour to break it loose.
Puting everything back together was a snap.
I forgot to add, I had never done anything like this in the past. I didn't jump right to the other side but I still plan on doing it.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:17 AM
Alzado77
Racer

I just had both of mine replaced on my 90. I was getting more of a crunching noise then a dragging noise. If yours are not bad yet they probably will be soon so replacing them shouldn't be a waste. A friend of mine owns a shop so he replaced them for me. Took him about an hour each although he is a professional and the car was on a lift which makes it much easier. Looked like a job I could have done myself though but it sure is nice having a buddy do them for you!
Old 09-11-2004, 05:09 PM
Daves90
Pro

Default Thank You

Thanks all.. Atleast now I have an idea of what to expect. Where do I get the bearings??? How much do they cost ??
Old 09-11-2004, 07:45 PM
Alzado77
Racer

Ecklers wants $259 a piece for them which seems a bit much. You might want to check out the Last Detail Corvette. They have a current ebay auction for them for $105 each with $14 shipping for both. I've had good luck buying from them in the past. Sounds like you can't go wrong on that one. Here is a link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33590

Al
Old 09-11-2004, 09:58 PM
Daves90
Pro

Default Sounds like the ticket

Those seem like they will work just fine..!!!!!! Thank you..Guess I should check mine for play first.
Old 09-12-2004, 06:23 AM
Alzado77
Racer

Mine were both completely shot and neither one of them had any play in them at all. We even put it up on a lift with the engine running and tires rotating and used a mechanics stethescope (don't know how to spell that!) and still couldn't figure out what was bad. It wasn't until we replaced both wheel bearings that all the crunching went away. I paid $190 a piece for those bearings so if you have the cash you might want to pack away a couple of those at $105. That seems like a great deal to me, wish they had been around when I replaced mine. They might not be your problem now but sooner or later they will once you get up around the mileage you have. Mine both went bad within a month of each other and that was right around 138K if I remember correctly. Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Rear wheel bearing

Quick Reply: Rear wheel bearing