C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

TPS help

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 07:28 PM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default TPS help

I installed my 58mm TB today (as an interum solution untill my 383 is done) and had a problem with the TPS.

I was getting an error code 22 (Low TPS voltage at idle) so I hooked up my datamaster and noticed it was only .08 at idle. I had an extra TPS so I swaped with the same result. After thinking for a while I looked at how much the TPS was preloaded on the new TB compared to the old and noticed about 1/8'' of diference so I used a dremil and modified the TPS. My code 22 is gone and my TPS voltage at idle is .47.
My question is is this a good setting? I know on the adjustable units I think its suposed to be around .53 but I am just not positive. Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-26-2004, 07:37 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Do a search. This was covered recently. Someone gave the range of voltages the TPS was supposed to have at closed throttle, in order for the ECM to read it and accept as closed throttle. I didn't pay a lot of attention to the actual numbers, because mine is adjustable. The range was pretty wide. I'm guessing, you're OK.

RACE ON!!!
Old 09-26-2004, 09:15 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Find the reference voltage. See if that is correct. It must read 5V. A new TPS sensor should have fixed the problem without you using the dremmel.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:33 PM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I replaced the TPS and it had the same results. As far as the refernce voltage it is 5VDC. I realy think the problem is the fact that the new TB is way off on the amount of preload (The amount the TPS is wound prior to the bolt holes alinging). I checked both my BBK 52mm and my stock GM unit and the both are about the same and my new unit is diferent. I know that how much the TPS turns is what will deternine how much resistance it will have. I bought the TB off e-bay and am thinking either it was a factory defect or it needs an adj. TPS, probably the later. Making my TPS adjustable is about all I did with the dremmel. What I was woundering is if I went far enough. After doing a search it looks like I am close (.47 at idle) but could stand to move it just a touch to get between .53 and .63

Get notified of new replies

To TPS help

Quick Reply: TPS help