C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

HARD start when cold

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 12:00 PM
NUckINg FuTS
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default HARD start when cold

I've had this problem ever since I dropped in my new engine and it's really tickin me off! When I go to start the engine in the morning it takes about a minute of straight cranking before the damn thing catches, but after it gets warmed up it'll start without a prob. Almost everything (sensors, injectors, ignition, etc.) has been replaced at the time I swapped engines. I really don't know where to start. I'm guessing it's either fuel or ignition (what else is there). Can anyone steer me in the right direction here or atleast try? Here are my engine specs:

408 ci
stock heads/cam
1.6 roller tip rockers
converted Lt1 intake to fit older sbc
small distributor w/ remote coil
Ford 24# injectors
BBK 52mm throttlebody
hooker longtubes
no emission junk ex. cat
new reman MAF (autozone)
new ECM
IAC & TPS new

Thanks!

PS> I should also mention the car has a stumble when accelerating from idle and a little backfire action as well.

Last edited by NUckINg FuTS; 09-28-2004 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:41 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like your cold start injector is not working. Also, if the starter cranks slow or it slows down at each TDC, your spark timing could be too far advanced. Check the spark timing during cranking.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:54 PM
comp
Team Owner

also check fuel pressure bleed off, then first reading at key on
Old 09-28-2004, 01:01 PM
NUckINg FuTS
Melting Slicks

jfb,

I do not have a cold start injector.

Comp,

I'll check the fuel psi. I need to buy a guage!
Old 09-28-2004, 03:22 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The cold start injector is there to aid starting in cold weather. If you remove the cold start injector...........
Old 09-28-2004, 03:29 PM
mikey whipreck
Melting Slicks

with a larger engine (like yours) shouldn't you have a high(er) torque starter to help it get going? If not that with your other problems, could your fuel pump not be giving you enough gas?
Old 09-28-2004, 07:41 PM
redfast
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was having the same problem as you. I have the mini-ram with no cold start injector. Was stumped for weeks. Finnaly I dumped the accell ingnition coil and at the same time timed the engine. Not sure why that fixed the problem, but no problems yet. It will be hard starting wile cold out. Without the cold start. But I think I know were your coming from by its more like very hard to start than just hard to start. I also have the stock starter. I don't see why that would be a problem unless you had alot of compression and you were burning up starters.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:55 PM
NUckINg FuTS
Melting Slicks

I had my chip reprogrammed and I mentioned to the tuner that I did not have a cold start injector. Also, I have a high torque mini starter.

redfast,

Did you use a remote mounted coil? I have an accel coil as well, hmmm.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:57 PM
redfast
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had nothing but bad luck with accell products. There made by Mr.Gasket and so now on when I buy somthing that says Mr. Gasket on it I re-turn it and buy a different brand. There gaskets s#c&
I think the chip dosn't matter to the cold start injector loop. Not that good on the chip tuning end of things. I believe the sensor for the cold start injector sends a signal to the ecm to fire the injector when the coolent temp. is below a certaint amount so it will fire the injector off. If your not using the sensor the ecm dose nothing about the cold start. Thats how im set up and everything seems good(no custom chip yet). Maybee If you run a sensor without the injector things might be screwy. Not too sure. The sensor for the injector is the bigger one in front of the intake. I don't think this is close to your problem but it could be. I bet its in your timming, probelly the sh^% accell remote mount coil. Maybee some how I advances the timming so much on a hard start. Like I said before that was my problem. Not sure how it could have been but it was.

Get notified of new replies

To HARD start when cold

Quick Reply: HARD start when cold