C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Name all possible needed specialty tools....

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2001, 04:18 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

...that would/will be needed for an L98 cam/head/intake swap.

I don't mean your normal every day screwdrivers, sockets, ratchets etc. Wierd stuff that the "normal" person might not have. I just want to go through the barn and make sure we have all the tools first.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Balancer Puller/Installer<LI>Cam Install Tool (Long Bolt)<LI>Any special fuel line tools?<LI>Distributor Wrench<LI>TDC Locator maybe?
</UL>

Go ahead and list it. Anything we don't have, I'm going to order tomorrow.

Old 07-31-2001, 04:28 PM
white93vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:[/color]<HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Any special fuel line tools?[/color][/QUOTE]

Scorp,
Not sure about your L98, but on my LT1, I needed a cheap set of "quick disconnect" removal tools for the fuel lines. The whole set of plastic tools was just a few bucks at Autozone.

Old 07-31-2001, 04:57 PM
BaseballDude
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't forget the obvious:

- Clean shop towels and a roll of Bounty paper towels to stuff into the intake ports and lifter valley so you can scrape the mating surfaces clean. Don't forget to remove them, too!

- You'll also need some way to determine TDC at the piston (when you use the degree wheel). I fashioned a cheap piston stop by drilling out a spark plug and tapping the inside for a bolt. Worked great!

- Having a crank snout socket that allows you to turn the motor easy with a 1/2" drive rachet is also a great tool. I've only used mine once, but it was the best $20 I spent for my cam swap (of several years ago - different car).

Old 07-31-2001, 04:57 PM
88L98
Drifting

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by scorp508:
[B
that the "normal" person might not have

[/B][/color]
looks like your out of the question : : ] j/k, on a serious note, it looks pretty much like youve listed everything that first came to my mind. you might want a cam degree card (those take the guess work out of degree your cam) but its not 100% needed. also, do you have new lifters yet? if i think of anything else ill post it.

[This message has been edited by 88L98 (edited 07-31-2001).]

[This message has been edited by 88L98 (edited 07-31-2001).]
Old 07-31-2001, 05:03 PM
88L98
Drifting

Cruise-In II Veteran

oh yeah, forget about the distributor wrench, those things suck. they wind up rounding off your hold down bolt. get a crow's foot wrench set. its a 9/16 wrench that stops right after the head and has a place to insert a ratchet or extention. it makes it way easier to remove the hold down bolt. they are at autozone for like 9.99 for a set of 3/8 - 7/8.
Old 07-31-2001, 05:07 PM
ZylaRace
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do have a good Torx bit set, right?
Old 07-31-2001, 05:24 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

You can even use a screwdriver blade to detect the pistion at TDC.

Of course a degree wheel and pointer.

Verniers to check for coil bind with the cam installed, unless you did the math on the bench.

Light assembly lube for the cam button, pushrod tips, rocher pockets and valve stem tips.

Sealant for the intake manifold and water pump bolts. And Blk RTV for the rear intake manifold seal. A few cans of carb cleaner to tidy up in there (and please paint those Brn valve covers). Some Liquid Paper to put those two important marks on the dist as you remove it.

Rubber nipples (from Auto Zone) to cover the fuel rail and supply line tips.

Some Blk wire ties to replace the ones you'll snip to get cabling out of your way.

Some Dremel cutters and sanding disks in case you decide to do some exhaust matching while you have those towels stuffed in the exhaust ports.

That crank snout socket sounds like a terrific tool! Wish I had know about it two weeks ago, but my arms and knuckles will heal eventually.

Don't foreget Mr. Torque Wrench.

Old 07-31-2001, 05:35 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Bottle opener for all the guys helping you lighten the refrigerator

Seriously,

What about a Gear puller, I am assuming you are installing a new timing chain too.. you need to get the old one off first

Old 07-31-2001, 05:36 PM
Mike in Boston
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

You'll need a tap set to fix one of those intake bolt holes on those heads. Last time I installed the intake one of the bolts started wrong.

A thread chaser for the head bolts. It's always good to clean the holes.

I'm not sure if that cam needs to be degreed. If it does you'll need some offset dowel bushings.

That's all I can think of.

-Mike
Old 07-31-2001, 05:41 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mike in Boston:
[B
You'll need a tap set to fix one of those intake bolt holes on those heads. Last time I installed the intake one of the bolts started wrong.
[/B][/color]
Yep, I remember that! That is on the list of pre-things to do.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:[/color]<HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
A thread chaser for the head bolts. It's always good to clean the holes.
[/color][/QUOTE]

Ok will do.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote][/color]<HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
I'm not sure if that cam needs to be degreed. If it does you'll need some offset dowel bushings.
[/color][/QUOTE]

From what I've read, the 219/219 likes to be installed straight up.
Old 07-31-2001, 05:46 PM
jmr302
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree about the distributor wrenches--I've had nothing but bad luck with those things. With carb'd small block Chevys I always use a header bolt in place of the normal distributor hold down bolt. Header bolts have smaller 7/16" heads so the wrench is a lot smaller. Perhaps there is just too much junk in the way to even get your hand back there with a little wrench. It wouldn't surprise me.

What do you racers use?
Old 07-31-2001, 05:48 PM
Ruby6spd
Melting Slicks

some bandaids for your knuckles....by day two of the project your hands should be nice and chewed up--

i pulled my rear end a couple of weekends ago and the people at work asked me what the hell i had done to my hands...

Old 07-31-2001, 06:36 PM
dgoodhue
Safety Car

Originally Posted by scorp508
Any special fuel line tools?[/color]
Just a 16mm line wrench.

You will need something for the 2 back fuel rail crossover's torx bolt. I use a small torx socket and small locking wrench. A set of L shaped torx would work but I haven't found a pair yet.

Old 07-31-2001, 07:05 PM
ZylaRace
Drifting

Check your mail for your new Summit Racing catalog!

Take 10% off any order you place before August 1. To get the discount, call our toll free order line at 1-800-230-3030 and use your special sales code. You'll find it on the back page of your catalog above your name and next to your customer number. You can use your discount as many times as you like before August 1. Don't pass up this special,
limited time offer!

Old 08-01-2001, 12:43 PM
The Hobbit
Racer

what about a decent DTI , monkey and mag block for dialing in the cam ? some engineers blue to check the valve to rocker geometry and maybe some Prussian blue and a good scribe for port matching .
Old 08-01-2001, 12:52 PM
reeltime299
Racer

I havent seen a Timeing Light listed yet.

Old 08-01-2001, 02:17 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Valve spring compressor if you need to add any shims or change any springs out. Or possibly the pushrod checker. Dummy lifter..

Get notified of new replies

To Name all possible needed specialty tools....

Old 08-01-2001, 02:19 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

As far as the heads go, they will be fully assembled and ready to drop onto the car. I have aset of new pushrods, but will be checking the length (i think) to see if I should order a custom set and install those after these. Not too hard to yank the valve covers and do that.
Old 08-02-2001, 10:07 AM
The Hobbit
Racer

How can you check the p/r length without installing a dummy lifter? ( assuming you are still using hydraulics)
Old 08-02-2001, 12:04 PM
Rick86
Burning Brakes

Hey Scorp, a lot of the tools you'll need you can rent for free from you local auto parts store (Check Autozone or similar), you'll need a pre-oiler before you fire up the engine (pre-oiler fits were distributer goes and pressurizes the engine oil before first start).

Quick Reply: Name all possible needed specialty tools....