C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Calling all L98 383 owners HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 12:00 AM
89corvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the process of ordering a zz450 377ci 454hp crate engine from Sallee Chevrolet. There parts guy and I think we've pretty much narrowed down any conflicting parts except for their 400ci damper.

He noticed that the damper they are using has the pulley actually on the back of the damper. And in looking at the additional pictures that they have on-site for this engine. http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/Chev...eeZZ450HP.html It definitely looks like that is the case.

We have made the assumption that that damper isn't gonna work. Since this sites search function is not working. I can't do any searches for 383s. Or for anyone on this forum that may be using a zz450 crate eng.

So how about it guys. Anyone out there actually using this engine? If so how well does it run? And how did you get around the damper problem?

For all L-98 owners. I'm not sure just how much the front crossmember position and stuff might have changed from year to year. For all I know I may need someone with an '89 and an '89 only to tell me what damper they are using on their 383's.

Thanks So Much In Advance Guys
Gary

Old 07-10-2001, 01:44 AM
ol,RJ
Burning Brakes

nice looking motor..
As long as the balancer will accept the bolt on pully (it should) I think it will work. my stock 86 motor had a large balancer, 8 inch dia I think. it may be close to the frame with that built in pully on it.
one thing I know is those valve covers will hit the wiper motor. I had to cut/weld one of mine to clear.
see if you can find out what diameter the balancer is (actual dia)..
RJ
Old 07-10-2001, 01:50 AM
BBA
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it uses the externally balanced damper, I have a 8" Fluidamper SFI external unit I can part with...if you think it will work. It's a little used but these balancers aparently do not get "old" and go bad because they have no rubber on them at all.

Drop me a note if you interested. ( It cost $389 new...a few years back...I'll let got of it for $150 )
Old 07-10-2001, 02:57 AM
89corvette
Instructor

Hey guys, thanks for the quick responses. I'm currently in Tennesse. And the car is in a shop in Texas. The cars engine siezed on me after hitting something really hard. And unbeknown to me, having it knock a hole in my oil pan.

The problem is that we know that the serpentien belt will not line up with the damper that is on there. As the one that they have on their engine now actually has the pulley on the back versus the front of the damper where it belongs.

Now the problem is that when and if we find a damper that will work. Then the guy at Sallee Chevrolet will oder it. And upon getting the part in he will have to install it and balance it as an assembly. Prior to shipping the engine

And let me remind you again that we are talking about a 400ci damper here as this is going on a 377. So BBA I'm sorry but no can do.

Thanks again guys,
Gary
Old 07-10-2001, 07:21 AM
patrick sieben
Racer

Speed-o-motive sold a damper SFI approved, filled with fluid and new for $175. It was for an externally balanced engine. They have an internet site. Talk to these guys they know strokers!
Old 07-10-2001, 09:47 AM
BBA
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Am I missing something here?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:[/color]<HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
And let me remind you again that we are talking about a 400ci damper here as this is going on a 377. So BBA I'm sorry but no can do.
[/color][/QUOTE]

It is a smallblock externally balanced SFI approved Fluidamper.

Yes, it is a 400CI damper.

Old 07-10-2001, 09:49 AM
HiTech5
Instructor

If the motor is externally balanced, you will need counterweight balancer and flex plate. If it's internally balanced, you will need a neutral balance flexplate and balancer. Your motor requires a SHORT water pump. The water pump pictured is a standard long water pump. The pulley mounts to the balancer, the balancer does not mount to the pulley!

Old 07-10-2001, 10:13 AM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would be intersted in getting one of these units. How would you deal with your displays and so on with the new engine? All replies would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 07-10-2001, 11:40 AM
89corvette
Instructor

Patrick, I'm gonna have to get a hold of Speed-O-Motive. That certainly sounds like a decent price anyway. Although If you go to Sallee Chevrolets site and click on the "click here for more pictures of the ZZ450" link. In looking then up close at that damper that they have. I'm not certain whether or not it is even a fluid filled damper or not. I guess maybe it is. Either way I will have them put one in. And I'll just have to eat the differnce on cost.

I only hope that Speed-O-Motive has actually sold enough of those things where than can tell me with 100% confidence that yes this will in fact work in an '89 Corvette.

BBA, I hope you didn't take that the wrong way. I didn't mean to say for a second that I thought that you didn't know the difference. I was simply trying to remind other people that might come along what the true problem at hand was i.e. we need a 400ci damper that will fit an '89 Corvette.

HiTech5, Yes it is externally balanced. If you look at the site you will see the flexplate included. Yes as this was originallly based on a ZZ4 engine. I was already aware of the problems that the Vette community was having with attempting to install the ZZ4.

Like finding out tha they needed to retain from their old engines there old oil pan, timing covers, water pumps, distributers, and dampers.

That's why I said that we had worked through those issues already. And this was the sole remaining problem. For what it's worth he said that the oil pan, and timing cover on this engine will work.

Actually the problem that people were having with the timing cover on the ZZ4 was three fold. First off it was plastic.

Secondly it would not allow you to install the water pump. Some people decided to take shortcuts. And rather than going to the hassle of yanking it. And replacing it with their old ones. Some people chose to simply grind down the offending bolt heads enough to clear the waterpump.

Later these guys were wondering why their engines were running like crap. Only to find that because they had used there old balancers. They had no choice because the new ones were to long. But they used the old balncers with the new timing cover. And thus had thrown their timing off to god knows where. Using the timing mark on the new timing cover.

Now in this case trust me everything will have to match up. Because we will be using a new 400ci damper and the new timing cover made for it. The guy yesterday assured me that it will work. But I will ask him again.

In this case the oil pan will work, and the damper and timing cover are going to have to work. Once we can find the correct damper anyway. The waterpump and distributer must be carried over.

Ski_dwn_it, I'm not sure what your asking. If your asking whether or not all of your instruments will work or not yes they will. That is why you have to use the old ditributer as a matter of fact. Because their replacement distributer lacks a tach drive. You will also pull the old or install new sensors, o2, Knock retard, etc.

Everyting will work. You simply pull the old manifold with everything on it and plant it in the new engine. That's the one thing that I hadn't mentioned untill this point. Since it is standard fair to do that when instaling a longblock crate engine.

Thanks Again Guys,
Gary
Old 07-10-2001, 06:21 PM
89corvette
Instructor

Problem solved!! Man what a difference it can make to talk to someoene who knows what the heck they're talkin about.

Yesterday the guy was sayin that it had the puley behind the damper. And that I was going to have to come here and find out what everyone with an '89 was using. And call him back with the info.

The guy I jut talked to today said. '89 Corvette.. "Yeh it uses a 7" damper. We will swap out the 8" for the 7". Not a problem." Man I was in and out of that conversation in 30 sec flat.

Thanks Guys!
Gary
Old 07-10-2001, 06:44 PM
RU4L98
Instructor

Not to burst your bubble BUT, that engine lists the heads as being the "Fast-Burn
-Heads".

These heads require special intake manifolds, and WILL NOT WORK with TPI systems, the S/R or the MiniRam! The only place talking about having special intakes cast for the FB-Heads to fit TPI's was Scoggin Dickey Chevrolet, and I think they still haven't released them to the public?
Old 07-10-2001, 07:05 PM
89corvette
Instructor

RU4L98, your right and wrong. TPIS has their new Miniram III. It can be used for both the Fastburn and the Vortex heads.

I for one wouldn't touch the Miniram with a 10' pole. But hey that's just me. So at any rate I'm going to be using Edelbrock's Performer Centerbolt Corvette heads instead.

Sallee said no sweat you could use any GM, World Products, or Edelbrock head that you want.

Thanks Bunches!
Gary
Old 07-10-2001, 11:11 PM
jmr302
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't tell if this thread is finished or not. Well in case anyone is still interested in this subject, I just bought a 383 long block from Speed-O-Motive. Since 383's use 400ci cranks and require external balancers I had to get a new balancer since this engine was replacing a 350. The balancer on my old engine was 6" in diameter and it sure looked like it couldn't be any bigger for clearance reasons. My old 350 was an early style (pre TPI) longblock. I'm not sure what diameter the stock L98 harmonic balancer is.

I have a Pioneer Inc P/N 872001, 6" dia, external balance damper.

Speed-O-Motive has been around since '47, and they have a lot of experience building strokers. Hopefully my engine will be installed and running by the end of the month. I'll post the results!
Old 07-11-2001, 02:12 AM
vettewally
Instructor

I have a 391 stroker and went with the 8 1/4'inch damper but had to shave about a 1/4 inch off the cross frame so it would not rub. The other choice would be to get a special one that they make but it cost about $300.00 I think fluid dampers makes it
Old 07-11-2001, 02:46 AM
BIG K
Pro

Does anyone know the web page address for speed-o-motive?
Thanks

Old 07-11-2001, 03:03 AM
89corvette
Instructor

Thanks bunches for the info guys. Your real life savers! Big K, the web address is
http://www.speedomotive.com

Hope This Helps
Gary
Old 07-12-2001, 02:24 AM
BIG K
Pro

Thanks for the help '89

Old 07-28-2001, 06:08 AM
patrick sieben
Racer

MY SFI fluid damper from speed-o-motive is 7.25" and fit in my 88 like a charm! Externally balanced 383 (400 crank) one piece rear main seal.

Get notified of new replies

To Calling all L98 383 owners HELP!

Quick Reply: Calling all L98 383 owners HELP!