C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

92 electrical i think? please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 12:46 AM
alonzo
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 electrical i think? please help

ok first if anyone can help me with this i feel like giving a huge reward, my car has been a off the road for a year and a half because no one can figure this problem out. ok it all started when the car would not start, and my mechanics found the problem to be in the steering column something about a ground loop, not working, but at the same time they replaced the key tumbler (just loose) so got a new key. know the car ran good for a couple of days then one morning the car would turn over start and imediatly die over and over, you could keep it running only my playing with gas pedal, but would run like ****, backfire and pop, and as soon as you let go of gas pedal it would stall, know every once and awhile it would start and run fine when it was driving, know this problem of starting was very interminate, sometimes you could wait a hour or sometimes it would be the next day, brought it to the shop before it left me stranded had no codes replaced the ecm thought maybe??? well kept driving but problem was getting worse everyday, but know noticeing the asr light would come on and stay, and then within the next day or so either if i got it started or if i couldnt get it started but with key on on position i would get the sys and security light flashing three times then go away for 10 seconds or so then do it again, this would tell me if i turn the car off it probably wouldnt start, long story short brought it in and mechanic said the ecm wasnt communicating with the ccm replaced it reproggrammed with the tech one, which was a pain because every corvette 93 and newer can use the tech two, only 92 corvettes have to use tech one just hard to find one to use. know when ccm was replaced car did start ran fine then would shut down after a few hours of running around, mechanic plugged the tech one in and they werent communicating again, ccm was shot, again right? got another one, same thing something must be shorting out my ccm..... just bought a whole new dash and wiring harness from ebay out of a wreck but before i get this far does anyone have a clue to what i check first maybe????? im in a catch 22, need ccm to start but cant keep it running long enough before you see sys and security flash and eventually shut car down to the point where it cranks, starts, shuts down right away, like something is telling the car to shut down, like reatarding the timing or something.. is this a short somewhere? cant afford all these ccms,? if i cant get this fixed soon it will be a sweet car for someone that knows electrical cause it will be on ebay for dirt cheap, im losing faith in my dream car
please help, ill even pay good money if someones close to albany ny to help or take it for winter to work on it.... thanks
Old 10-17-2004, 01:27 AM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Once in awhile i would get the ASR light on and car won't start. This wouldonly happen when engine was run a long time and/or was hot due to weather. I would get the ASR light as soon as I put key in and car would turn over but not start. I couldn't figure it out.

One day I decided to do this... if the ASR light comes on I would pull key out wait a second or two and put it in again. I would do keep on doing this until ASR light doesn't come on. So far it has work. Sometimes I have to just do it once, sometimes I would have to do it 3 or 4 times but it works. Car starts right up on hot/warm day with no ASR light.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:18 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

you are having a coil/ignition module related failure.

The coil sends a tach pulse back to the CCM and the ECU. The CCM then sends it on to the ASR. If this signal is not present, the ASR light will come on.

Another symptom, the tach will jump - this could also mean you have a bad tach filter.

There is a method of pulling codes from the CCM, too. I don't have the steps in my head, but I can get them tomorrow morning.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:04 PM
alonzo
Cruising

Originally Posted by bogus
you are having a coil/ignition module related failure.

The coil sends a tach pulse back to the CCM and the ECU. The CCM then sends it on to the ASR. If this signal is not present, the ASR light will come on.

Another symptom, the tach will jump - this could also mean you have a bad tach filter.

There is a method of pulling codes from the CCM, too. I don't have the steps in my head, but I can get them tomorrow morning.

if it was the doil or ignition why is it not letting the ccm communicate with ecm and why is it not starting all the time? if i put another ccm i this im afraid its going to burn out again
Old 10-17-2004, 09:14 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

It's not so much not letting it communicate, as there is not data to send.

Also, I *think* a bad tach filter can cause this.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:19 AM
alonzo
Cruising

Originally Posted by bogus
It's not so much not letting it communicate, as there is not data to send.

Also, I *think* a bad tach filter can cause this.
what is the tach filter and where is it located? plus what should i do before ripping the whole dash off and wiring harness to replace it? change the ignition module? and the tach filter? then put in the new ccm and see if it will fire again? and if they cannot get a response from the ccm that doesnt mean its dead right? it could mean that it just doesnt have any data? all info would be awesome, trust me its been a long road. i wish i could fly someone in that could fix this for me!!!!!

Last edited by alonzo; 10-18-2004 at 12:26 AM.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:42 AM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Have you run the car with the ASR off?
If so does the ASR light still come on?

To see if the CCM is working, short A to G and turn the ignition on.

The CCM will display any codes and what module they are for.

Any error codes are displayed in the Speedometer area and the Module is displayed in the Trip ODO area.

CCM is Module 1
ECM is Module 4
EBTCM ASR/ABS is Module 9

If there are any communication problems between
any of the modules, ERR will be displayed.
The CCM is the master. The other Modules are slaves.

Short A to G then turn the ignition on (Don't start the engine).
Diagnostic connector above driver side knee.

F--CBA
G-JKLM

Get notified of new replies

To 92 electrical i think? please help

Quick Reply: 92 electrical i think? please help