C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

CAGS relay connector, which one is it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2001, 01:10 AM
Jay Axson
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read here that the CAGS relay is behind the master cylinder. But I have also seen a picture of dummy replacement connectors that plug in and protect the disconnected connectors from corrosion.

In my 92 I see two relays bolted to the wheelwell just to the drivers side of the master cylinder fluid reservoir. But the connector is nothing like the dummy plugs.

Now there are a couple two wire connectors in the area that look like the dummy plugs. But the wire colors do not match the post I saw describing it.

The service manual doesn't describe the location of this wiring harness connector as far as I can find in it.

Can anyone describe the correct wire assembly to disconnect?

Thanks
Jay 92 LT!
Old 07-17-2001, 11:00 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just pull it from the tranny. There are three connectors on the driver's side. One way up high in the front, one lower in the back and then the middle one that actually looks like a solenoid. Pull the one that looks like a solenoid, tape up the end and tie-wrap it out of the way.

Old 07-17-2001, 12:21 PM
SLEV89
Burning Brakes

on the '89,
the CAGS relay is located on the backside of the driverside front wheelwell.
four wires - Pink/Black DarkGreen DarkBlue DarkGreen/White

might be the same for '92 (yes? no?)

the "replacement connector" commonly mentioned is actually a 'dummy' that breaks the circuit directly at the CAGS Solenoid, located at the transmission. it's main function is to keep the open connector clean (besides breaking the circuit).

i chose to disconnect the relay instead because it defeats both the CAGS Solenoid and the CAGS Relay.
the "replacement connector" leaves the relay in the circuit, so it's always 'working'.

free.
quick.
only have to bend over instead of getting on your knees.

paul
Old 07-17-2001, 08:47 PM
Jay Axson
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SLEV89:
[B
on the '89,
the CAGS relay is located on the backside of the driverside front wheelwell.
four wires - Pink/Black DarkGreen DarkBlue DarkGreen/White

might be the same for '92 (yes? no?)

the "replacement connector" commonly mentioned is actually a 'dummy' that breaks the circuit directly at the CAGS Solenoid, located at the transmission. it's main function is to keep the open connector clean (besides breaking the circuit).

i chose to disconnect the relay instead because it defeats both the CAGS Solenoid and the CAGS Relay.
the "replacement connector" leaves the relay in the circuit, so it's always 'working'.

free.
quick.
only have to bend over instead of getting on your knees.

paul [img]http]//www.corvetteforum.net/c4/slev89/gif/emblem.gif[/img] [/B][/color]

Thanks for clearing that up for me! There are two relays there. I wonder what the other one does....

Jay
92 LT1
Old 07-18-2001, 12:20 AM
SLEV89
Burning Brakes

hey jay,
I believe the other relay is the Primary Coolant Fan Relay - four wires - DarkBlue DarkGreen/White Red(thick) Red/Black(thick)
(1989 anyhoo)
Old 07-20-2001, 12:25 AM
Jay Axson
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SLEV89
hey jay,
I believe the other relay is the Primary Coolant Fan Relay - four wires - DarkBlue DarkGreen/White Red(thick) Red/Black(thick)
(1989 anyhoo)
[/color]
Thanks I appreciate the info.
Jay 92 LT1

Get notified of new replies

To CAGS relay connector, which one is it?

Quick Reply: CAGS relay connector, which one is it?