C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Does electric water pump save power?

Old 07-20-2001, 12:15 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2FST4U:
[B

Are you calling us all morons or am I just taking this wrong?!?!
Not much honey in your posts...lot of vinegar though.
JMHO,
Chris[/B][/color]
I'm sorry if you take it that way, as it is not the way it was intended. It just seemed everybody was having so much fun flaming me that they didn't look at the data I provided. Now that everyone has calmed down and looked at data, we are seeing relevant points again, not just bickering. I'm cool if everybody else is? We can get this forum back to what it is supposed to be, helpful.

Just for daisyrock, here's how I wired mine.
[img]http]//24.17.202.123/wiring.gif[/img]

The way this works, it comes on when the key is in run, but not on accessory. This way you can still maintain the benefit of accessory without draining your battery due to the pump, yet you CAN run the pump without the engine running if you are at the track. Hope it helps.
Old 07-20-2001, 04:12 AM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well.. All I can tell you guys is I will probably be going with an electric pump when my current one lets loose.

Old 07-20-2001, 07:37 PM
ChrisB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny McLain:
[B
Now theory is fine, but please, please, please I ain’t that smart. Has anyone actually used one in hot weather with a hot running motor and how did it fare against the stock pump? What are the tricks to install?
[/B][/color]
Jordon, which his 402 in^3 solid roller, says his pump is cooling fine in the weather up there - and auto-x. He's running ~12.3]1 compression I believe, so it's a pretty good workout (as good as I could devise anyway).

I have heard of one person's pump going out - and meziere actually sent him a new one (no charge) - which they are under no obligation to do, so I surmise it is an infrequent thing?

Old 07-21-2001, 01:10 AM
daisyrock
Racer

Thanks to Nathan and ChrisB, I'm going with the electric waterpump. Seems like nothing to lose but gaining less chance to wet the Opticrap. Thanks again for the infos.
Old 07-21-2001, 04:44 PM
ChrisB
Pro

With a motor like yours, 8-10hp is nice at the track somewhat and at the dyno, but honestly it's getting pretty close to irrelevant for just pure enjoyment sake. But for what you have invested in your motor, etc. I would definitley do it for the double roller conversion to protect your investment - esp. with the rpm's a solid roller can potentially turn.

I rigged up a warning light that triggers when the pump stops drawing current (dies) but haven't had the opportunity to use it - that should be some peace of mind. Really though as far as cooling is concerned - well, the pump isn't a big deal labor wise, why not just do it, and then test it out. If you end up not liking it you could still sell the pump to someone else easily, and swap out for their stocker/reman'd from A-zone.

Old 07-21-2001, 05:04 PM
JordonMusser
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

The elec pump actually cools better than a mechanical.. more so at low RPM

There is more room for failure with an electric pump.. that is the only down side. relays can go bad, wires can come undone, etc etc etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does electric water pump save power?