C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Factory manual

Old 07-18-2001, 10:32 PM
BIG K
CF Senior Member

Having never rebuilt a engine before, I was thinking that it would be a good idea to put out the extra money for a factory manual.
Is it that much worth it to get one over a Haynes?
I seem to recall a while back someone on the forum talking about the best place to obtain one.Does anyone remember?
Thanks

Old 07-18-2001, 10:34 PM
Dan Parker '96
CF Senior Member

http://www.helminc.com Worth every penny.

Old 07-18-2001, 10:36 PM
es
CF Senior Member

http://www.factoryautomanuals.com

he sells used manuals for a decent price and is very honest about describing their condition. Has his current inventory listed on his site
Old 07-19-2001, 12:51 AM
W4ZG
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In III Veteran

I just recently signed onto the CF and have found it to one of the best sources of instant information,and assistance from super individuals that I've ever read, or in some cases,have had the pleasure to meet However,IMHO, the best investment a Corvette owner can make is to obtain the 'real' GM Service Manual...mine was purchased off E-Bay ...Dennis/W4ZG

Old 07-19-2001, 02:01 AM
BIG K
CF Senior Member

thanks for places to start looking.

Old 07-19-2001, 02:09 AM
GlockLT4
CF Senior Member

Yup.. get the manual's.. you won't regret it!

Old 07-19-2001, 02:44 AM
drive it
CF Senior Member

The factory manual is just invaluable for troubleshooting. However if you're going to build your own engine,as I recently did- there's a few books that saved me. An older one that still has a lot of good background info but a little outdated on some things is "how to hot rod small-block chevys" by Bill Fisher and Bob Waar. The second one that I about wore out is "small block chevy performance: volume two: 1982 and later" by John Baechtel. Lingenfelters book also has a lot of good info. Good luck, and it is real satisfying to have built your own!

Old 07-19-2001, 02:11 PM
BIG K
CF Senior Member

Drive it, How long does it take to rebuild/overhaul a L98? Also, I see in your signature that you have siamese runners. Are these the same that are on the ZR1(LT5)? Are you seeing any HP or performance increace?

Old 07-20-2001, 01:58 AM
drive it
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by BIG K
Drive it, How long does it take to rebuild/overhaul a L98? Also, I see in your signature that you have siamese runners. Are these the same that are on the ZR1(LT5)? Are you seeing any HP or performance increace?

[/color]
I took my time building my engine, as I kept driving the car while building up a 400 block-several months-including collecting parts. The siamese runners are for an L98 only, nothing to do with an LT5. Oh yea lots of performance increase with all the changes at once!!! But sorry I can't say about just the runners as I did it all at once. I'm about to change to the superam as it seems my power curve gives it up kinda early-hoping for a strong to 5500rpm pull instead of 5000rpm.

Old 07-20-2001, 12:18 PM
BIG K
CF Senior Member

Drive it,don't know if you have noticed, but I'm getting ready to fix the motor in mine. Where did you get your runners and what kind of mods would you suggest while I'm in there?
Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Factory manual

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: