C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Collapsing headliner

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2001, 01:22 PM
Mojo
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As if I don't have enough problems, my headliner just collapsed down onto my head. What's the best solution? I don't want a hack fix, I really want it done right.

Old 07-19-2001, 02:34 PM
Mark 84ltblu
Le Mans Master

SE Ohio Event Coordinator
CI-V Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Curise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Buy some headliner material at a fabric store. You can remove the collapsed fabric and then clean off the residue on the fiberglass liner. Glue the new material on with a good quality adhesive and then tuck in any excess around the edges. Takes about an hour if you work carefully.

Old 07-19-2001, 02:59 PM
Stevmill
Advanced

If the fiberglass liner is trashed beyond use, just get a replacement liner from Mid America, they run about 150, and look great.
Old 07-19-2001, 03:03 PM
apollo30346
Burning Brakes

Very easy to do... I agree with mark. Just make sure you get all the old stuff off and that the surface is clean and smooth. You can get headliner material at your local parts house now. You need to spray both the material and the surface of the top..glue side to glue side. Will last forever. I have done lots of them in all cars. Hardest part is the cleaning the old stuff off. Just take your time and keep nice and smooth..once it's stuck....it's stuck

Old 07-19-2001, 04:36 PM
reeltime299
Racer

I just redid my headliner 2 months ago w/ material & "heads up" brand adhesive from pep boys total cost of 40.00 & its allready falling down again. If I could do it all over again I would buy a new gm headliner. If you decide to go w/ gm replacement call Jeff Kopp (18carfan) he will give you the best price, much less than $150.

Old 07-19-2001, 06:02 PM
vette87
Racer

Headliner material from the fabric store
Use 3M adh. from Wal-Mart bout $15.00 ONLY, or you will be wearing it again very, very soon. Clean the old off very well and apply a very good coverage on both srufaces and tuck the edges in with an old credit card or similar product. Good luck, and get yourself a nice hat instead of your current head gear.
Old 07-19-2001, 09:24 PM
JonM
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the stuff I used.

The other folks are correct about getting the old stuff off. I used a wire brush and a vacuum took about 5 minutes. I also went to JoAnns Fabric's and bought headliner material. It already has the foam on it (I think it cost me 5 bucks. (The ladies giggle when a man comes in the store) Once I had the liner board clean I sprayed it with the 3M and let it dry overnight. Doing this insures you have a good foundation to glue the liner to. The next day I sprayed on an even coat of adhesive and let it dry a couple minutes, then put the liner on and smoothed it out. DO NOT, overdue it with the adhesive, do not puddle it or it will come through the liner, then let it set up a bit. Once the adhesive is set up on the liner, cut around the edges about an inch or so larger then the board. Spray the edges of the board and fold over the edges. It will stick right away but if you make a mistake you can pull it back and reposition it within a reasonable time. Hope this helps

Get notified of new replies

To Collapsing headliner

Quick Reply: Collapsing headliner