C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Windshield wipers are colliding.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2001, 03:02 PM
kola
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

During the downward motion, my windshield wipers are running into each other. The passenger side wiper is coming down on top of the driver's side wiper, causing them to bind up.

How can this be fixed?

Thanks
Old 07-19-2001, 03:08 PM
Hendej
Pro

The answer is here:

http://www.corvetteforum.cc/techtips...D=42&TopicID=2
Old 07-19-2001, 03:09 PM
KCvetteowner
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a known problem on pre-95 C4s. See the write-up in the tech tips section.

Old 07-19-2001, 03:38 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a question.....

...how does this just all of a sudden "happen" on the cars? Aren't the wiper arms pretty much locked into place on those little ribbed cylinders that stick up from the cowl?
Old 07-19-2001, 04:23 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarkee:
[B
...Don't know about the others...But on my '86, a heavy rain, strong gust of wind, or heavy snowfall (gasp!) will bend them enough to hit...[/B][/color]
Wow interesting.... I guess I've been lucky.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:[/color]<HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Hey Scorp - you got a bot doing random posts in other/all forums??? How'd you get an "Elite Member" Avatar so fast???

[/color][/QUOTE]

LOL.... no. I'm just all over the place today. [img]http]//www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2001, 04:55 PM
kola
Intermediate

Thanks everyone.
Old 07-19-2001, 10:02 PM
LWesthaver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarkee:
[B
I just finished installing the '94 wipers on my '86...

I'm not sure the cure isn't worse than the disease... [img]http]//www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/frown.gif[/img]

The '94 pass side wiper sticks out in plain view when parked...And the drivers side wiper hits the windshield frame at the top of the stroke...

I'll probably pull these back off and go with shorter blades on the OEM '86 arms...They didn't hit the windshield frame...(When adjusted correctly).

I'll just keep on carrying a screwdriver and if they hit, I'll pull the pass side arm & blade completely off...

[/B][/color]

Hey Sarkee, did you really purchase '94 style wiper arms and blades? You need the 95/96 units.

Assuming that you did get the 95/96 parts; if you are still having problems then either your linkage is out of adjustment or worn badly allowing too much slop.

The windshield wipers do park on those little plastic ramps you spoke of and yes, they are supposed to lift the blades slightly to prevent the rubber in the blades from taking a 'set' and becoming permanently folded over in the parked position.

And yes, the new design arms do cause the passenger side wiper blade to remain visible when the wipers are parked. You can see that there really wasn't any way around this since the new arms are mirror-images of each other. The old arms were not, and allowed the wiper blades to nest closer together when parked.

I think if you check out your adjustments and look carefully for slop in your linkage you'll be happy with the newer design wiper arms and blades.

Old 07-19-2001, 10:42 PM
GiDvEtTe84
Drifting

Here is a tech atricle by corvette magazine.

Old 07-20-2001, 02:06 AM
Pasterli
Advanced

Mine did the same thing. WRONG SIZED wipers. Try getting some GM wipers, totally fixed my problem. Guys at jiffy put the wrong ones on, but I couldnt tell by looking at them.

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield wipers are colliding.

Quick Reply: Windshield wipers are colliding.