C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Damm Fu#*^%g speed bumps!!! Im hurt

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2001, 11:59 AM
BlueC4 LT1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I was driving down this pitch black road last night, and I nailed this speed bump. Instead of being yellow, it was black, and I didn't even see it until I heard it scraping the $hit out of the bottom of my car. I mean, it was bad It hurt to listen to. I pulled over, and looked underneath, no leaks. Ok not too bad. Then I went to the diner. When I came back out, I started it up, put it in drive, and it died. I did it again, and it shut off after 4 seconds. I look under the car, and there was a puddle under the rear of the car, kind of by the spare tire. I figured it was the rear gear lubricant, or brake fluid??? what could it have been??? Anyway, I check my fluids, oil is good, tranny is good. I put my finger in the puddle, it had no smell, ait seemed colorless, and it was very watery, but it was a little oiley. I don't know if that is a word or not. Anyway, I started it again, and it was ok, I drove it home, oil pressure was fine, and I stayed below 2 grand the wntire way home. I got home, and oulled in the garage, looked underneath the car with a flash light, and I couldn't for the life of me find where it had been coming from. I woke up today, and there were no puddles under my car. Could that puddle have been there before I got there??? But what explains the stalling I had at first??? I am scared, is this really bad??? Please help

Old 07-21-2001, 12:23 PM
Oly
Safety Car

It sounds like you are doing all you can do at this point unless you have access to a lift. If you do, get her in the air and do a very close inspection of everything.

Are you positive the puddle wasn't already there when you parked your car? I have come out of work/store/etc. and seen something similar under my car(s) on occasion but as it turned out, it wasn't from my car. <whew!>

Old 07-21-2001, 12:29 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

I've tried to get in the habit of checking parking spots for mystery puddles as I park. It keeps you from panicking when you come back out to get in the car.

Chances are it was there when you parked.

Old 07-21-2001, 12:36 PM
Silver 96
Le Mans Master

I hope it was just water condensing off your air conditioning. That can form quite a puddle The oil may have already been on the pavement.

Old 07-21-2001, 02:01 PM
Bat Man
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver 96
I hope it was just water condensing off your air conditioning. That can form quite a puddle The oil may have already been on the pavement.

[/color]
Yea, the water condensastion can leave a big puddle, and it could have ran down, while running down, it could have picked up oil left behind along time ago.
Old 07-21-2001, 02:11 PM
BlueC4 LT1
Instructor

I hope thats all it is. I wanted to go to the track tommorow. Would I know by now if it were coming from my rearend??? Do you think I am safe to run it hard at the track tommorow??? Tommorow is the only day I could go, I have been looking forward to going for the past 2 months. Thanks

Old 07-21-2001, 04:03 PM
Jay Axson
Melting Slicks

I can't imagine anything that leaked from the rear of the car that would keep it from starting, except for gas.

Your probably fine.

Jay
92LT1

Get notified of new replies

To Damm Fu#*^%g speed bumps!!! Im hurt

Quick Reply: Damm Fu#*^%g speed bumps!!! Im hurt