C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Difficulty in installing a Super Ram....

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2001, 08:26 PM
Nomar116
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im thinking about purchasing the base, runners and plenum, and am curious what all the trouble is with installing these suckers. Any opinions would help a bunch.
Paul

Old 07-22-2001, 09:12 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

It takes time, and MUCH patience. The bolts underneth are a pain, and you need to remove the rocker cover to make it all fit.
It's well worth it, but not something you want to do over and over again.
There are many of us here that has it, so feel free to ask away, or email.
Good Luck, and buy a 12pack for afterwards, you'll need it.

Old 07-22-2001, 10:38 PM
Nomar116
Burning Brakes

Could you be more specific. The motors already apart, and I think I can get the whole set up w the manifold for $750. I dont have a ton of money but that would be perfect. Im trying to figure out what needs modification and so on.
Old 07-22-2001, 10:46 PM
Ezgoin721
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can get the whole sept up (plenum, base plate, and runners) for $750, jump on it. The difference in engine performance is big. If the engine is already apart, do everything possible to do the heads and cam too. You'll love the results. The Superram is a royal pain to install because clearences are tight for many of the bolts and it takes some patience and mechanical savy to get it al put together. There are some tricks that will help and there is lots of help available on this forum. You'll need to ask specific questions when/if you run accross difficulties, but you can't go wrong with the modification.

Old 07-22-2001, 11:22 PM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can help with the mods that will aid in installation if you do purchase the SR. But if you are getting the complete package for $750, then it is probably used and may already have many of the mods that people do to these SRs.

Aaron
Old 07-22-2001, 11:26 PM
corvette1990
Burning Brakes

It is tough but doable. I did it on engine on engine stand and it was easier there. But had to come off to go into car. You need Long ball allen wrenches, you need very small box wrenches and even smaller hands. You need alot of patience. You have to modify and flip the bracket that holds the small black matchbox lookin sensor. You will need 2 sets of gaskets (probably). You will have to grind the valve covers on the passenger side. You will have to loosen and then readadjust at least 2 rocker arms. I have the instructions digital form (email word)if you need them. Replace the injector Orings in the fuel rail (easy cheap job). Make sure you don't have a vacumn leak. Goodluck. Chris
Old 07-23-2001, 12:14 AM
BillRed85
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the stud kit for the plenum of my SuperRam, which worked out great! I have never tried installing it without the stud kit. But it was no big deal.

Bill
Old 07-23-2001, 12:29 AM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Our forum expert on installation of the Superram is probably forum member Ralph, he's had the thing on and off no less than 5 times.

It really isn't as bad as everybody makes it out to be, the base lays down just as easily as the stock base. The runners go on just as easily too, the headache as mentioned earlier are the inside bolts on the belly of the plenum... they're just plain hard to get at. But if you're the persistent type as I am, you can get them all started within an hour... just don't walk away from it. The plenum lid is easy.

As somebody has probably mentioned, notch the belly bolts so that you can use a screwdriver on them from the top. I recommend you not only remove your valve covers, but also your rocker arms... which just makes it a tad bit easier on some of the bolts, plus you get a lesson in adjusting valve lash when you slap it back to together.

good luck
Beach Bum
Old 08-04-2001, 08:46 PM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (Beach Bum)

Were would you guys recommend getting a super ram? Thanks for the info.
Old 08-05-2001, 01:37 AM
corvette1990
Burning Brakes

Default Re: (Nomar116)

Buy it directly from Lingenfelter and pay too much like I did. Check on backorder status, I waited 2 months. Make sure you get all the plugs and all the bolts ( mine were missing). Next time it comes off, I will stud it as suggested, but still worried about nuts going down intake. I wound up using a Loknar cable setup for all 3 cables, due to Throttle body not quite the same as original.

Get notified of new replies

To Difficulty in installing a Super Ram....

Quick Reply: Difficulty in installing a Super Ram....