C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ASR Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2001, 06:11 PM
92BAV
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted a couple weeks back about a hiccup I was getting in first gear at WOT. Basically, it would only happen at WOT at about 4300 RPM in first gear - no problems through the rest of the run. Note that to that point I had always been running with ASR ON.

Here's the status as of last night: I made my first run with ASR OFF. I experienced no hiccups at all.

Is it possible that it was the ASR that was causing the hiccups, what with it cutting fuel and applying the brakes, while I didn't lift my foot off at all?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-25-2001, 10:02 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

In a word....yes.
The first time I went to the track, I left ASR on. I didn't know what the hell was going on.

One time on the street (when I first got the car) I tried doing a burnout, I thought I broke something. Turned ASR off and away I went.

Old 07-26-2001, 04:15 AM
Mr. CJ
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Sounds like ASR kicking in, check for the ASR active let (or maybe the bulb may be burned out or missing) With greater wear on the tires, I noticed that ASR started kicking in more. I just got some new tires and it gripped better afterwards. Riding around with ADR Off is similar to always have "Full Engine Power" light on in my ZR-1, they're always that way!

Old 07-26-2001, 04:49 AM
R Cook 92
Instructor

sounds like that pesky ASR. it is strange that it kicks in at 4300, mine always kicks in at take off... but that is on the street when I forget... I don't forget on the track... but you must just have too much power at 4300!!!! I'm sorry to hear that! just leave it off when you run it and I'll bet you'll be fine.

Randy
92 auto coupe
Old 07-26-2001, 03:18 PM
92BAV
Burning Brakes

Yeah, what'd happen would be that the ASR would kick in at the start, and then it'd kinda hiccup at about 4300 RPM. My thought is that with the gas being cut, it messed with the timing/spark retard a bit. Does that sound to be on the right track? I'm not a mechanic, so I'm just learning as I go.

Thanks.

-Sheppe
Old 07-26-2001, 03:20 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think it cuts fuel, but it will retard your timing, "adjust" your throttle and finally if that doesn't work will start playing with your brakes.

A sure fire way to know is if your gas pedal gets really hard and you start hearing noises from your ABS.

Old 07-26-2001, 03:35 PM
92BAV
Burning Brakes

I wasn't too clear on what I was saying. I'll try again.

First off, I know the behavior of ASR, and when it hiccups at 4300ish RPM, it's not due to the ASR kicking in (unless it's retarding the timing, as Nathan is saying, incorrectly). I'm wondering if the hiccup could be caused by ASR kicking in at the start of the run, and the timing is just a pinch off at around 4300 RPM.

Sorry if I'm not making sense.

-Sheppe

Get notified of new replies

To ASR Question

Quick Reply: ASR Question