C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What are the plastic combs for?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2001, 08:23 PM
A
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A while back I replaced my digital panel. When I was pulling all the wires, it was a bit of a PITA cause of these little plastic comb-looking things that plugged into the socket with the wiring harness. I know that's not a very good description but I don't know how else to describe them. But what are those comb things for anyhow? I did not re-install them when I put in the new panel, but I did keep them incase I found out they were important for some reason...

Old 07-25-2001, 10:35 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

We need a better description of the "comb" and where it was. Was it on your original printed circuit boards?
Old 07-25-2001, 11:38 PM
A
Melting Slicks

no... there were 2 of them per insert. I'll take some pics when I find my camera. Some are blue and some are just non-colored plastic... Have you ever removed the digi-dash panel before? The reason I ask is I assume that they'd be on all digi-dash's but that's just a guess.
Ok, they go on the long sides of both connectors going into the dash panel.

They're really tough to describe for some reason
Old 07-25-2001, 11:49 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

I'm not positive, but what you are discribing sounds like the clips that keep each of the seperate wires in place in the sockets. From plugs I've seen in the past for instance, you have 4 seperate wires going into one plug, they are held in place in the plug by the comb thing you describe. If you needed to change them around for some reason, you can remove the comb thing, change the pattern, and then replace it. Problem is, if it isn't there at all, there really isn't much to keep the wires from backing out of the plug and off what it is attached too! Only the connection between the wires themselves, which defeats the plug all together. I may be way off, and if so, I'm sorry. Just trying to guess by your description and from the cars I've worked on in the past.

Old 07-26-2001, 12:18 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

R94 has it. The "comb" clips keep the wires in their configuration and plug. Pull out the combs and you can easily yank out a wire by accident of the harness.
Old 07-26-2001, 02:54 PM
A
Melting Slicks

EDIT:
Ohh... had to clean up some ignorance, I re-read the posts...

[This message has been edited by A (edited 07-26-2001).]

Get notified of new replies

To What are the plastic combs for?

Quick Reply: What are the plastic combs for?