C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

checking plug wires in the dark

Old 07-25-2001, 11:29 PM
teacherjim
CF Member

I just went out and checked my plug wires in the dark to see if there was any sparking. I have read that some people have done this and it looks like a light show when they have bad wires. I did not se any sparking, at idle or revving the engine. I wanted to be sure so I also had my wife check too.(what a wonderful wife). I don't know how old the wires ar, does this mean they are okey if they don't spark?
Old 07-25-2001, 11:49 PM
djpearn
CF Senior Member

No light show and the car is running OK, I would say your safe. I just replaced the ORIGINAL plugs and cables on my 85. It was running ok but I figured it was time anyway.

Old 07-26-2001, 12:11 AM
95-383
CF Senior Member

Just replaced mine with brand new MSDs 8.5mm. Still a little light show- what the f***!
Old 07-26-2001, 01:07 AM
Togo
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

jim, it depends...are you experiencing rough idle? check the wires for "hard spots" maybe from resting on the exhaust manifolds or alternator or ac compressor brackets, etc. or anything that comes into contact with the exhaust manifolds. they usually won't arc unless they are close enough to metal (if the boots are "crusty"
Old 07-26-2001, 06:02 PM
patrick sieben
CF Senior Member

I would like a definition of rough idle. Here is mine, you guys decide if it is due to wires or vacume leaks or something. My engine runs great sounds good and idles at 800 rpm, sometimes jumping. Meaning it will idle and give a miniscule jolt. You can feel it when sitting in the car and putting your hand on the manifold. Put a lady in the car and they say it runs like a charm. So what is the deal am I expecting it to run like a v12 or should I just expect it to run like a 383 that I build by myself with a CR of 10.5 to 1??? Cam is crane compucam 2032.

cheers

PS

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: checking plug wires in the dark

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: