C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Daytime Running Lights - Experience

Old 07-28-2001, 06:37 AM
John Row
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I couldn't leave well enough alone. I had to do something.

I purchased the Daytime Running Lights from Corvette Central (~$180). They came about a week after ordering.

The kit entails new sockets, a black box (literally), miscellaneous power connector wires and a wiring harness to connect everything. All high quality professional components.

I installed it in about an hour. No tools necessary. It would have been less if I hadn't been a little too aggressive in pulling a wire from one of the fan relays and broke the connector off! It took about 15 minutes to assemble (find) the soldering iron, flux, etc... and about 30 seconds to solder the connector back on the wire.

Hardest part was getting my hand in the hole to pull the turn signal sockets (at least I wasn't slicing my knuckles on sheet metal!).

Everything worked the first time.

About a week later I noticed the turn signals operating radically and sometime not working at all. I popped the hood and began trouble shooting, first checking all the connections, cleaning the contacts (WD40). Finally I got it to the point where the turn signals would not even light the indicator arrows ( I called it progress, my wife thinks I screwed it up ).

I called the number on the installation sheet. I got Chuck Ross, the designer and manufacturer. It was his cell phone. He spent the better part of an hour with me trouble shooting the problem. He offered that it might be a defective unit and he would send another. I replaced the bulbs in the original sockets and still no lights. I figured it was the Turn Signal Flasher, but had no idea where to find it.

Chuck recommended a call to Larry Hofer at "The Corvette Shop" (in San Diego) as one of the top Vette people around.

I drove to Larry's shop (what a pleasure seeing 7 or 8 C4's in one place). Larry had the same Running light unit in his C4. I left the car at 9:30 and picked it up at 2:30, turn signals working. It was the Flasher, and I still don't know where it is!

After 130K miles, I suspect that the flasher was on it's last legs, and I managed to push it over the edge.

I can heartily recommend both the "Daytime Running Lights" and "The Corvette Shop". Both are a bit expensive, but delivered what they promised (I've been to expensive places that didn't, this is better).

"The Corvette Shop" will be installing my P-E Cat-backs (and don't tell my wife, but also the high flow cats, headers, Dana 44, cam... I can dream).

Anyone know where the Flasher is?

Old 07-28-2001, 09:59 AM
nobodyunknown
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a 84-88 its buried on the right underside of the dash next to the ECM.
Probably the same as 94.
I like your line.
Both are a bit expensive, but delivered what they promised (I've been to expensive places that didn't, this is better).

[This message has been edited by nobodyunknown (edited 07-28-2001).]
Old 07-29-2001, 09:39 AM
Carroll B
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also installed the DRL kit and like the results. I also broke the wire on the fan relay and had to solder it. (Didn't follow the directions close enough) I wrote up a review under the review section of the forum. I like the fact that you can pull the in-line fuse to the DRL module and your parking lights revert back to the normal mode of operation. I found the entire kit first class quality.

Old 07-29-2001, 12:04 PM
John Row
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Carroll,

Go tip on the fuse. How did you find out about it? There was nothing in the instructions that I received about it.

And another odd thing. Nothing I received contains the name of the company that makes this kit!

With the kit installed the only way you can tell a C5 from a C4 coming at you is the C4 looks better .

Get notified of new replies

To Daytime Running Lights - Experience

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Daytime Running Lights - Experience