C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

HELP Auto Tranny Experts!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2001, 08:39 PM
Gearhead Jo in CO
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Started out with simple fluid and filter change,Now 3 gaskets later, still leaking in front of pan. Its a 92 700R4, I tourqued to 96 inch Lbs. Could Stock Pan be bent out of shape after being put on and off so many times?? Should I get new pan and try again? It usually went at least a hundred miles before it starts leaking. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-29-2001, 05:36 AM
drive it
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jo in CO:
[B
Started out with simple fluid and filter change,Now 3 gaskets later, still leaking in front of pan. Its a 92 700R4, I tourqued to 96 inch Lbs. Could Stock Pan be bent out of shape after being put on and off so many times?? Should I get new pan and try again? It usually went at least a hundred miles before it starts leaking. Any advice would be appreciated. [/B][/color]
Try goopin that sucker with rtv silicone sealer! [img]http]//www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/smile.gif[/img] It sure works on intake manifolds!

Old 07-29-2001, 06:27 AM
88L98
Drifting

Cruise-In II Veteran

id do like he said and use a little bit of silicone, but dont go ape sh*t with the stuff, you dont want excess inside your tranny.
Old 07-29-2001, 09:41 AM
89 Bob L
Burning Brakes

Try removing the pan and placing it on a flat surface, (I used my wife's counter in the kitchen, if she only knew) to see if it is bent in any specific area. Use 2x4's approx 8" in length to straighen it out. Dry the pan as best as you can as well as the tranny, where the gasket goes.
Clean all of the bolts. Put the gasket and pan on, hand tighen the bolts in hte listed sequence. Start out tightening each corner just a little then proceed clockwise one bolt per corner as indicated below. Tighten the bolts 10-12 inch pounds each pass until you reach the 90-96 in lbs.

1 5 9 13 2

16 6

12 10

8 14

4 15 11 7 3

I have seen many posts which do not recommend any type of sealant on tranny gaskets. Gaskets usually leak due to either a bent pan, over tightening, or loose bolts. When you readjust/re-tighten the bolts. Do the same sequence again, not just re-tighening the loose bolts.

Old 07-29-2001, 01:41 PM
moffitt
Burning Brakes

Try staying away from the cork gaskets that many filter kits supply. I had the best luck with the gaskets that appear to be some kind of heavy paper with a black coating. I do still use a little of the good orange or red RTV on both sides.
Old 07-29-2001, 01:51 PM
toejam
Advanced

Just to add my two cents here . . . gasket goop, sealants, RTV (room temperature vulcanizate) are all silicone based. Silicone based gaskets, whether they are RTV or HCR (heat cured rubber - like valve cover gaskets) aren't used in transmissions because ATF de-polymerizes silicone. In short, the stuff reverts, breaks down into its original chemical compounds, starts to leak, etc. The stuff works good for the short term (1/12, or 2/24'ish) but if you don't want to re-do this procedure I would suggest using one of the "premium" gaskets available.

If you can find someone at the shop that knows his stuff ask him for a gasket made of Vamac, or AEM (Ethylene Acrylic Monomer). Vamac is a DuPont tradename and is currently the only material approved by GM for side/bottom pan sealing applications. Although polyacrylate, or PA, or ACM (Acrylate monomer) is probably just as good.

Sorry this is so long, I guess when I start teaching my sealing classes I will have to interject some jokes just to keep the class awake .

Old 07-29-2001, 02:01 PM
jeffie86/96
Instructor

Don't overlook the holes that the bolts go through, sometimes they get "humped up" for lack of a better term, and won't allow the sealing pressure to be transmitted over the proper area. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2001, 08:41 PM
Gearhead Jo in CO
Heel & Toe

Thanks fellers for all the imput, will try again this week after work and will take it one step at a time.. All the advice is Greatly Appreciated!! Gearhead JO____

Get notified of new replies

To HELP Auto Tranny Experts!!!!

Quick Reply: HELP Auto Tranny Experts!!!!