C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

new vette, new questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2001, 03:38 PM
MG-1
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 95' 6 speed about three months ago. Previously, I had an 88. I drove it for 3 years until traded her in ( still feel bad about that) The couple questions I have right off are:
1. what is the purpose of the "one to four" light on the instrument panel? It doesn't seem to make since that it wants me to shift to fourth gear before I even get 3K into first. what gives?
2. On the inside of the driver's door, i have a sticket that says UAW Proud and gives the local for Bowling green Kentucky. Is this something you pick up at the museum or a sign that a UAW member owned my car? The sticker is round.Any help would be great..
Thanks
Nathan

Old 07-29-2001, 03:47 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

welcome to the world of late C4 ownership!!

I suspect that in time you will come to appreaciate the enhancements they made!!! I know I simply LOVE my 92!

As for your questions...

1) The shift light refers to something called CAGS - Computer Aided Gear Shifting. It was a method of making the cars more EPA friendly. The light indicates to the driver when the shifter was going to automatically take you into 4th from 1st. If this is not happening, someone has disabled it, which is a good thing!

2) the UAW sticker was part of a warm fuzzy that starts and ends with that NASCAR race, the GM UAW 400...

Old 07-29-2001, 03:47 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

1. - Gas mileage to avoid a "Gas Guzzler" tax. You can disable it several different ways if it bothers you.

2. - I think you'll find that all of the later years built in Bowling Green has the sticker. My 92 does.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new car!

[This message has been edited by Blue 92 (edited 07-29-2001).]
Old 07-29-2001, 08:13 PM
MG-1
Cruising

all that information was great. Thanks!!! Now the follow up.
How does it shift for you? How do i know if its disabled?
How about a host of other questions!
Will 285/40/17's fit on the front of my 95?
I am thinking about a hurst shifter for it, any thoughts?
I would also like to put of road exhaust on it. Anyone have exp. with that? I had a friend with an '89 who put off road exhaust on it. It didn't seem to help him.
The car seems to get angry if I try to shift out of first below 2500 RPM. Does this have to do with the CAGS? I lok forward to your replies!

Old 07-29-2001, 09:59 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

If the car goes from 1sr to 4th when that lite is on, then the CAGS is on duty and working. for about 10.00 you can put a thingy on the harness under the car that will disable the function and not set a code.

the Hurst is the way to go. It was designed by one of our own here at the Forum!!! chris something... can't remember for sure. someone clear this up for me!!!

The 285s will sorta fit.... but you will have a bulging side wall. in 1993, GM changed the front wheel width. This was done to limit the oversteer problems. you should find a 9.5" wide rim and add the correct 275/40/17 tire. I recommend BFGoodrich.

define "off-road" exhaust... if your talking muffler eliminators, they don't help performance much. just sound better!!! The real power upgrades come from Corsa Pacesetters with a nice set of headers and low-flow cats.

Old 07-30-2001, 02:49 AM
MG-1
Cruising

well..thanks for all the information... You have been a lot of help. I have a few more impressions of my vette. It has many new and different features compared to my 88, which is why I bought it. I wanted a 6 speed and the new interior. Not to mention the 300 hp engine. My girlfriend has a 99 V-6 camaro. A really nice car, and interesting to see how many features introduced in my car made their way to her car in 99... ANYWAY.. The gap from the tire to the fender edge seems kinda high for me. It bugs me that the car sits o far off the wheel, the front isn't so bad.. I ould like to see it lowered about 1/2 inch if any. The back prob about 1 1/2 inches. What do you think? How much wold it be to do that, and how would you do it.
BTW, I think I wlll get headers, and se how it sounds and feels. What kind you recomend? I will see if i want to dump the cats after that.

Old 07-30-2001, 03:02 AM
corvette dude
Instructor

If you have a manual how does CAGS take you from 1st to 4th??

Old 07-30-2001, 03:13 AM
nsimmons
Burning Brakes

when the cags activates and you try to pull it down into 2nd, the shifter will simply slide into 4th gear instead of second. couple things you can do, 1) disable the cags, just pull the harness out of the tranny which is what i did on older cars it doesnt set a code. 2) rev the engine past 2500 in first the the cags wont activate. 3) pull the shifter from 1st into neutral after 2 seconds the gate will open and allow you to shift into second or third

Old 07-30-2001, 03:20 AM
corvette dude
Instructor

ahhh makes sense. I know my light comes on, and I remember this issue with my friends Z28, but I cant ever remember being forced to 4th. Maybe the previous owner had it disconnected which is what I will do if I find it still connected. Next time I drive the car I will purposefully try to activate it.

Thanx

Old 07-30-2001, 08:56 AM
MY 95
Team Owner

CI 2-3-4-5-6-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

welcome, nice choice in cars

Get notified of new replies

To new vette, new questions

Quick Reply: new vette, new questions