C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Replacing blown Airbags. . .what all do I replace?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2001, 04:15 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Hi all,
I am getting ready to replace the airbags in my 96LT4 (they were blown when I got the car) and was wondering how many pieces (ie sensors/computers) there are that need replaced. I have the dash cover off and the bags both out. I know there are two sensors on the frame rails (front) and I am GUESSING they need replaced. There are also two sensors mounted on a plate (these do not have yellow connectors, but one has a Forward arrow typical of airbag systems) and a module under the dash which has yellow connectors (maybe the airbag computer?).
I don't know much about airbags, so I need a little help with the details. Is there a specific order in which everything hooks up (ie, will new airbags blow if connected while old sensors are still in place?)
Thanks for the help!
Josh Meeks
Old 07-29-2001, 05:13 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

Read through all old posts I could find on the subject...everyone just suggested the Helms manual. Though I don't mind buying one, I was kind of hoping to do this today, so can anyone scan the portion on air bags for me and email it or post it to the web?
THanks,
Josh
Old 07-30-2001, 11:21 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

TTT,
Ordered the manual, it won't be here for about a week...can anyone get a scan of the pages or list the basic steps???
Old 07-30-2001, 11:49 PM
zbo2
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

i fixed a 94 camaro convertable for my youngest son that was totaled in the front....i'm sure the vette is similar.
i replaced the sensor in the front where the damage was ( was told later that is wasn't nessicary to change it ). the firing module, which was under the console and of course the air bags. i did not have to change the air bag computer, which was under the the passanger side of the dash. then you have to put a scanner on the car and erase the air bag codes which will be present from the crash. that should do it.
Old 07-31-2001, 11:09 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Firing module on '96 is good for 3 shots. If this is the first deployment then it is not necessary to replace. Unplug battery and wait for atleast 10 minutes before monkeying with the new bag hook-ups. You should have two torx screws on backside of steering wheel to remove/replace bag.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing blown Airbags. . .what all do I replace?

Quick Reply: Replacing blown Airbags. . .what all do I replace?