C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I need some cheap speed, whats my choices

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2001, 10:46 PM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

problem is I just convinced my wife to let me buy a vette, and it is after all my hype to her the slowest car we own(14.01 @100) but is worth more then all of them combined(except our jeep)I know the big problem is the 2.53 gears but after dropping 5,000 on the down payment I don't have 1,800 for a new Dana installed. I have right around 1,000
I'm thinking SLP cold air intake,160` stat w reprogramable chip and maybe mufflers.also do those airfoil's help at all? Thanks

Old 07-30-2001, 03:43 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

You have the right idea, get more are in/out and drop the operating temp.

I would skip the air foil at this point but get the programmer.

Cut back the spark plug ground electrodes for "free" 10hp more.

You might consider an underdrive crank pulley if funds are available.

Old 07-30-2001, 11:03 AM
Chris@SD
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheap speed!!!
Jumbo shrimp!!!
Military intelligence!!!

Cheap speed will end up costing more in the long run than if you spend the money in the first place. When I started hot rodding, I listened to my wallet and got a set of 882 GM castings "race ported" to the tune of $200! That got me going $200 worth of speed!!! I then had a better set of heads done by a nobody that was charging a few hundred less that everyone else! That got me a little speed, but not much. I then stepped up to the plate and go a set of heads from the BEST I could find who was actually one of the more expensive ones also. Then I was FLYING!!! I lost one race in 2 years and was beating trailer cars at HRP when I drove to the track on street tires with the A/C on and my girlfriend sitting in the passenger seat. Well, at that point, I had spent around $6500 on heads to go fast where if I would have gone to GTP in the first place and paid the piper, I would have only been in the hole $3700.
Sure wish I would have saved my money and gotten the more expensive heads in the first place!!!

The SLP intake is a GREAT peice!!! You will gain some ponies and the look is the best I have seen!!! You will get similar or the same HP gains from cutting your stock lid open and throwing a K&N in there though, so only do the SLP if you like the looks better. That is what I have on my '94 and I love it!!!
Reprogram is a GREAT idea!!! You can really improve your car by doing this as well as pick up some HP.
Mufflers will not always give a big increase in HP, but this is something that can help you enjoy your car SOOO MUCH MORE every time you even start it up!!! The sound will make your car sound like the sports car that it is!
the next thing that I would recommend is an ASP pulley followed by a Comp Cams pro Magnum valvetrain package!
I don't know if you have an automatic, but the single best thing I think you can get for your car would be a Vigilante torque converter. This will make your car feel like a whole new car and make you very noticable quicker!
With these things done, you are looking at a very strong base for you to use and to build on in the future!
Good Luck,

Old 07-30-2001, 02:13 PM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

freebies are the best mods!
open air works (not wonders, but it works, did mine last night) and cleaned my K&N too. i also hear that the coolant bypass on the TPI helps (again, it doesn't do wonders) but i am gonna do that too!
some of the guys i just started hanging around said there is a guy (screen name is marcho polo or something like that) he burns custom chips and they are about 1/3 or less of the price you can buy a hypertech or jet chip for. also underdrive pulleys they say are good for 10-30 HP.
Keep us posted! we all want to know what the times are after the mods!
Old 07-30-2001, 05:10 PM
ROADAPPLE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bite the bullit and change the rear gears.
You get the most "seat of the pants" performance when you change out those high mileage cogs. I changed my 2:59's to 3:45 and it made all the diffrence in the world.

DWS
Old 07-30-2001, 11:46 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You dont say if you are auto, or 6 speed.. if you have an automatic, think about a 2400-2600 torque converter..

The Vigilante, or Pro Torque are $700 but you can get an inexpensive brand for $300.. if you are not going to run it at the track every week...

Old 07-31-2001, 08:48 AM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by Red96Coupe
You dont say if you are auto, or 6 speed.. if you have an automatic, think about a 2400-2600 torque converter..

The Vigilante, or Pro Torque are $700 but you can get an inexpensive brand for $300.. if you are not going to run it at the track every week...

It's an A4 and I will probably run it at the track 5 or 6 times a year. maybe more if I can get it in the mid 13's. (not much fun running a car that's slow especially when I have 2 high 12 ricers and a mid 12 FWD car)my future plans are for much higher HP but thats probably 9-12 months away so yeah a better converter is probably a good idea thanks.
[/color]

Old 07-31-2001, 09:13 AM
GUMPA
Drifting

Gears.......she'll have to wear a "Neck Brace"....

If it's Auto, go with 3:73......you'll both Love it......"Trust Me"......

Old 07-31-2001, 10:09 AM
Arisa
Race Director

Cheap speed ???? Buy a Rustang!

Ain't noth'n cheap on a Vette, but damn they look good !!!!!!!

Neal

Old 07-31-2001, 10:31 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Arisa:
[B
Buy a Rustang! [img]http]//www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

[/B][/color]
He said cheap SPEED. Not cheap looking or cheaply made. I hate Ford engineering (if you can call it that) if nothing else all their stuff just looks goofy and they can't make fuel economy for nothing.

Old 07-31-2001, 11:22 AM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

cheap is the the whole "focus" with ford and
I already have one. that's why I bought a Vette. My other cars are all fast(especially my ford)but there is no feeling like driving a Vette(except maybe my dad's lotus)now I just want the thing to go. maybe I'm spoiled that 14 flat is not fast enough but with new Camaro's & cobra's in the high 13's what's a proud Vette owner to do. I can't let my wife see me get beat by a F-150 wich happened last night thank god I was alone and only the people reading this and the lightning owner know the truth. .3 to .4 is all I need $1,000 ought to get me that right??

Old 07-31-2001, 11:37 AM
Arisa
Race Director

Aqua,

Not trying to step on toes, but do you still own all those cars in your sig? If so sell one to free up some capital! Than you can play more. If you do have them all I don't see how you can be so tight on cash. Insurance & up keep must be costing a lot. Just my .02 worth.

BTW Got any pics. of the vette ??? Would love to see it!

Neal

[This message has been edited by Arisa (edited 07-31-2001).]
Old 07-31-2001, 11:44 AM
Box of Rocks
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 65Z01:
[B
You have the right idea, get more are in/out and drop the operating temp.

Cut back the spark plug ground electrodes for "free" 10hp more.

You might consider an underdrive crank pulley if funds are available.

[/B][/color]
I've been gone awhile, but I'm back. I have the same car with chip, filter, airfoil, and mufflers.

Questions:

What is the trick with cutting the ground electrode on the wires? How? Where?

Do you know how much a set of March UD pulleys is REALLY worth? Yeah, I know they advertise 10-15 HP, but that's a tad hard to believe.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks, [img]http]//www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

BOR

Old 07-31-2001, 11:53 AM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by Arisa
Aqua,

Not trying to step on toes, but do you still own all those cars in your sig? If so sell one to free up some capital! Than you can play more. If you do have them all I don't see how you can be so tight on cash. Insurance & up keep must be costing a lot. Just my .02 worth.

BTW Got any pics. of the vette ??? Would love to see it!

Neal

[This message has been edited by Arisa (edited 07-31-2001).]
[/color]
No pictures yet I can't afford a scanner anyway.My toes are fine, yeah I still got em' all supra, MR2 & jeep are my wifes she wont let me sell them. I have owned the SHO since new and spent big $$$$$ getting that damn thing to go this fast plus The one thing that might be more fun then drivin the vette is the look on the face of a C5 owner after he just got beat by a Rusting Black 4door.PRICELESS..and money? Mortgage,2 car & 1 bike payment plus insurance on 6 vehicles, gas, kid, dogs tech stocks, s*** your'e right we gotta sell some rice and get me some gears, and maybe a Vortech now If you will just talk to my wife....

Old 07-31-2001, 11:57 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Aqua,

There is no cheap solutions for Vettes

The best mod I did was the 3.73 gears. There is a price, however. You will loose some top end speed and about a MPG or so. Go with a professional setup or you will have problems. You will also loose that annoying exhaust resonance.

Don't waste your money on the air foil.

Flame Red
Old 07-31-2001, 12:07 PM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

O.k. gears 3.73 or 3.54 also since if I do the gears that I can't really afford I won't be able to do anything else for a while. on a stock motor just how much do you think I will pick up, and without a new TC will it really do me any good?also just how much top end will I loose? 10mph?5 what? someone has to know these things and this seems to be the place to go

Old 07-31-2001, 02:42 PM
ROADAPPLE
Drifting

I suggested the 3:45's because I found them to be a good comprmize. At 65-75 MPH the engine is turning about 2500 RPM. (a nice sweet spot). The 3:73 are great for track time but wind the engine up too far (in my opinion) for highway cruising. The General put those 2:59 in there for CAFE ratings. The LT1 makes fine HP but you don't feel the torque with the sky high gears. If you change the gears first you might not have the earge for additional changes (for awhile at least).

DWS
Old 07-31-2001, 02:55 PM
Ramrod92
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Aqua, Zip products has the dana 36 with 3:54 gears on special for $760.If you are interested, go to the group puchase section. (July)

Old 08-01-2001, 08:38 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Best bang for the buck is the Zip deal for $760.00 If price was no object or if I was going to drag race,with slicks, on a regular basis, then a dana 44 with 3.73 gears would be the choice. There are a lot of people out there running the 36 and with a little care they seem to hold up.

Get notified of new replies

To I need some cheap speed, whats my choices

Quick Reply: I need some cheap speed, whats my choices