C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

rear spring on 1987

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 12:02 AM
ICANTDR55
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rear spring on 1987

I am not sure but I think I may have put my rear spring spacers in the wrong position. I put the rear end back in it and going down the highway at about 95mph the rear tires start to rub the inner fender or when I hit a dip in the street it rubs. Would bad shocks cause this? need help. Thank Icantdr55.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:09 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

damn.

I cannot beleive that the spring fitment could cause this. There should be one spacer to the top, one to the bottom.

The outside bushings are top and bottom, too, if I remember rightly.

I need to think about this... did you remove anything else???
Old 10-31-2004, 01:38 AM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

The number or spacers, their thickness and how many are above and below the spring vary with what spring the car is equipped with. For instance, my '95 w/ standard suspension had two above and one below and there were two different spacers involved in the stack up. This being said, I don't think this alone is causing the problem. It sounds like whatever it is, I wouldn't be driving it 95 mph or at all until I figured it out!

I forgot to mention how critical it is to get the spacing correct because the retaining brackets for the springs have no provision for altering the clamping force. That is, they bolt solid to the upper half of the bracket that's made onto the batwing.

Last edited by Corvette Kid; 10-31-2004 at 01:30 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To rear spring on 1987

Quick Reply: rear spring on 1987