C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

oil pan rubber plug? WHAT THE

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2001, 12:31 PM
apollo30346
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to have my oil changed for the 1st time since I have owned the car which I purchased back at the end of March and I can't believe what I found.

Instead of a bolt in the pan, there was a rubber plug in there. When I purchased it there was a tiny little drip, very slow meaning it could set for days at a time and drop a 1/2 dollar size spot. Any spot is to big for me. I thought it was just the felt wassher that is on the bolt, but that was not the case. The bolt threads in the pan were to far gone so the tech could not tap it. He did not like this, but had no choice but to put the plug back in and put a bolt in there to flare it out. He did this when he showed the other tech this and he said he had seen this before and there is supposed to be a bolt in the rubber plug to flare it out so it seals. I am still leaking, and I don't want all my mobil 1 to leaking on the ground. Can any one tell me if they have ever seen this type of stuff or heard of it. I want my leak stopped.

Thanks
Pete

Old 07-30-2001, 12:32 PM
jd
Team Owner

Location: A Florida man who is superfly in the doublewide - Bokeelia, FLA-USA
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06, '15

yep...
usually jiffy lube and those places put the rubber plug in when they strip the threads...
Old 07-30-2001, 12:45 PM
apollo30346
Burning Brakes

Why was this not found by the dealer, and why was it not replaced with the proper and /or fixed the correct way. How is this NOT a safty issue or how would this have passed there QUOTE inspection? This is not exceptable. Can I go back to the dealer and demand a new pan? I don't need this garbage plug flying out on the road an me locking up my motor due to there lack of service.

Forum thoughts would be appreciated...

Old 07-30-2001, 11:20 PM
apollo30346
Burning Brakes

any more input.....?

Old 07-30-2001, 11:51 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Sad to say the rubber plug thing isn't unusual. The previous owner may have known about the stripped plug and chose to go that route rather than replacing the pan. I saw bunches of em back when I did the gas station thing.

FWIW: Some of the rubber plugs I saw didn't use a bolt. They came with a tool that you inserted in the plug to stretch it out then pushed the plug into the pan and removed the tool.

As far as the dealer, they may never have had the car up on a rack. It's worth a try talking to them.

[This message has been edited by Blue 92 (edited 07-30-2001).]
Old 07-31-2001, 03:52 PM
apollo30346
Burning Brakes

Figures,

dealer won't fix...like you said it was worth a shot. I guess I will just have to do it... Anyone have any idea on a oil pan price...

Thanks again for the input.....

Old 07-31-2001, 09:55 PM
6 speed Sid
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry about the problem. It may be possible to remove the pan and weld in a large nut. Then you can get a plastic or etc washer and you will be back in business. Or with the pan
off you can re-tap the bolt hole. Talk to a local independent garage, they have most likely seen and repaired this many times before. Sid.

Old 08-01-2001, 04:48 AM
AquaMetallic94LT1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get metal plugs that will make threads as its screwed in the first time.

Rubber plug in oil pan by Jiffy Luber ? Good reason for public flogging of the manager. Good reason for changing you own oil.

Old 08-03-2001, 11:32 AM
apollo30346
Burning Brakes

Default Re: (AquaMetallic94LT1)

Where can I get this metal plug that will thread itself. The thing is I live in apartment and doing work like that is not an option and the fact this is my only ride....

Thanks for the help..... I need to try and fix while still on the car..it's bad enough I have to dump the 5 day old Mobil 1 Syt..... SUCKS :mad
Old 08-03-2001, 04:03 PM
JYD69_427
Advanced

Default Re: (apollo30346)

Most of the better parts stores in this area have self-tapping oil pan bolts. Normally, you'd take in the old one and they'd use it to determine the next size up in a self-tapping bolt. Since you don't have a bolt, you may need to measure the existing hole diameter (could use drill shank or some such means).

A coupla caveats: this assumes the existing bung still has some material left. The pan is thin sheet metal. A threaded bung is welded to the inside. If it gets stripped bad enough or routed out by bubba, you may not have enough material left for the new plug. Also, you need to get the new plug pretty straight when you start inserting it so it seats flush with the pan.

Good luck!
Old 08-03-2001, 04:30 PM
HiRiser
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: (apollo30346)

I'd put on a new pan. If I didn't, it would always be at the back of my mind, gnawing away. Why take a chance ?
Old 08-03-2001, 07:23 PM
No Ordinary 91
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: (HiRiser)

i would try the dealer thing i got them to cover for half of the cost of the clutch after it went out after 2,000 miles it took some reasoning i basically took the approach not to look like a babbling fool yelling and cursing and told the owner that if they had done any type of "service inspection" they would have known that the clutch wasn't right. when i first bought the car the clutch engaged high and was mushy and i thought it was just the car but when it started slipping i let them know how i felt, i would imagine if they didn't replace it entirely they would cover at least half of the cost for parts and labor
worth a try :smash: :smash:
Old 08-04-2001, 08:58 AM
apollo30346
Burning Brakes

Default Re: (91_Corvette)

Thanks guys,

I went to the dealer, but no dice... I had the same issue with the clutch when I bought it and it just did not feel right.... But sure enough, 2 weeks later sliping like an oil slick.... Cost me $1500 for a new one. Here is the kicker the dealer where I bought the car would do it for about $750.00, but it would have taken them weeks and the fact that I did not trust them and will never take my car there for any kind of service. I went direct to Chevy, and D. Fultcher hooked me up... He has done all work on my car since... he's awesome.... I can call him when ever I need help and is always willing to advise me on the how to..

But, the rubber plug thing, the place where I bought it from they would not fess up to. I want to just replace the pan, so it like you said will not be lingering in the back of my mind. Have a hard time doing it here in my apt. I am moving out end of month and will have a garage again, so I guess I can get it done then. I really want it fixed now, but can't figure out how I can make that happen. I hate any kind of leaks...

Again thanks guys/ and gals if there was one I missed....

Pete :confused:

Get notified of new replies

To oil pan rubber plug? WHAT THE

Quick Reply: oil pan rubber plug? WHAT THE