C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Tune up...or what???

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 09:24 PM
joseph p
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Tune up...or what???

1989 L98 Coupe, tuned up a little over a year ago (7K miles +-) babied, but daily short run driver, ran fine til yesterday. Starts, idles fine, but if you give it gas it stutters, not hesitation but more like missing. It's got new( 1 year ago) wires, platinum+ plugs, new ign. module, cap, rotor,TPS set @ 56. Can't give it gas except if you feather it, even then it doesn't run "clear." Replaced the fuel pump 2 years ago, fuel filter, new injectors, one year ago.
Any educated guesses?
Thanks.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:29 PM
Chatman
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 102 Posts

Go through the simple things first. Especially plug wire connections.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:34 PM
mikey whipreck
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure... I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong:
but isn't that a little low for a TPS setting?

seems like your symptons would indicate that is the problem (i.e. slow response from throttle)...

just a guess though...
Old 11-22-2004, 10:26 PM
joseph p
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TPS setting is as per manual, besides it hasn't changed and it ran well for 1 year. Checked plug wires and connectors, they seemed fine but didn't have time to pull plug yet.
I'll keep trying. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:28 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe the MAF or MAF Relays. Disconnect it (the MAF) and see if it runs any better.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:04 PM
jackdaroofer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by SunCr
Maybe the MAF or MAF Relays. Disconnect it (the MAF) and see if it runs any better.
I think I would hook up a fuel pressure gauge and test it under a load at acceleration

Just a thought

Fuel pumps can go bad and filters can get clogged. Company just biught me a brand nee ford 150 (UGH) and it stranded me twice with less than 100 miles on it, it was the fuel pump

seeya
Old 11-23-2004, 07:17 PM
Scott LeMuke
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with my 1995. It was a hairline crack in the insulator part of spark plug number one. I put a new plug in and it ran like new.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:43 PM
weo89vette
Advanced

Have you figured this one out yet? I've got the same problem on my '89. Started about a week ago, and I havn't had time to start troubleshooting. Hopefully this weekend. The only thing I can add is that the problem is worse when trying to accelerate up any incline. I too have new wires, plugs, rotor, and cap installed a month or so ago. I need to check the fuel pressure, and filter though.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:46 PM
Bruthish
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'06-'08-'09

Another vote for possible Fuel Pump....check the pressure and see what it is.....Mine ran but bogged everytime you tried to give it gas...it even started stalling at stop lights. So, it can still put fuel out, but less than is needed by your car.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:53 PM
information junkie
Cruising

Originally Posted by weo89vette
Have you figured this one out yet? I've got the same problem on my '89. Started about a week ago, and I havn't had time to start troubleshooting. Hopefully this weekend. The only thing I can add is that the problem is worse when trying to accelerate up any incline. I too have new wires, plugs, rotor, and cap installed a month or so ago. I need to check the fuel pressure, and filter though.
sounds like what mine is doing. my filter is new, so is the fuel pressure regulator. shop said that the fuel pressure is correct. if you get this figured out please tell. that will give me another direction to go with the troubleshooting.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:32 PM
weo89vette
Advanced

ttt
Old 11-26-2004, 12:53 PM
John Robinson
Racer

Default Won't Run

Nobody with the problem said if they had just filled up with gas and this started to happen. I have had this in the past and found it to be a bad tank of gas. Car or Motorcycle would not run and could hardly maintain the speed limit. Sometimes putting a couple of cans of dry gas in helps but usually you will get really bad milage and as soon as you need a half tank or more of gas fill it up and drive it about 20miles and see if it clears up.

Get notified of new replies

To Tune up...or what???

Quick Reply: Tune up...or what???