C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How do cherry bomb mufflers sound on these?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 08:39 AM
silver84
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glasspacks.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:51 AM
loiq
Team Owner

Your car will be loud with "cherry bombs."

Check out Dave Vizard's book on building big-inch chevy small blocks. He has a diagram that shows how the exhaust "sees" each type of muffler. When you see the diagram of the "cherry bomb" you will understand why they don't flow as well. I will try to scan and post.

OK, here it is. Though the example cites muffler intallation onto open headers, it should still be self-explanatory.

Last edited by loiq; 11-24-2004 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:47 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

30 year old technology is usually cheap. Personally I'd stay away from them unless you want compliments from toothless women and kids with three thumbs Seriously, don't. Just my .02
Old 11-24-2004, 12:49 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Clarence, buddy....
If your mind was already made up, why ask us for our opinions?
Just as you are repeating what you heard about cherry bombs, I'm repeating what I've heard.
No one is looking for an argument, we're just looking for information.
Put the damn things on your car if you want. I put them on my Chevy truck thirty years ago and was not impressed (all I got out of that deal was an "exessive noise" ticket)
Your results may vary.....
Larry
Old 11-24-2004, 01:59 PM
ZumZum
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by loiq

Check out Dave Vizard's book on building big-inch chevy small blocks. He has a diagram that shows how the exhaust "sees" each type of muffler. When you see the diagram of the "cherry bomb" you will understand why they don't flow as well. I will try to scan and post.

OK, here it is. Though the example cites muffler intallation onto open headers, it should still be self-explanatory.
I don't see how this is showing that glasspacks flow less then turbo mufflers. It seems to me that all this is showing is how muffler installation immediately after the header collectors can act as an extension of the collector. Lengthening or shortening the collectors can effect engine tuning. Installing the glasspacks immediately after the header collector makes the engine perform as if you actually have a super long collector length IMHO.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:31 AM
ClarenceT
Drifting

Originally Posted by code5coupe
Clarence, buddy....
If your mind was already made up, why ask us for our opinions?
Just as you are repeating what you heard about cherry bombs, I'm repeating what I've heard.
No one is looking for an argument, we're just looking for information.
Put the damn things on your car if you want. I put them on my Chevy truck thirty years ago and was not impressed (all I got out of that deal was an "exessive noise" ticket)
Your results may vary.....
Larry
Because i wanted to know what they sounded like on a vette; my mind wasn't really made up - im all ears for in cab resonance and dB with a (comparatively) big motor like a 350. As far as flow and all that, I've been there and it's better then OEM from what i've seen, and read (save for a few comments here )

I don't want a car that's too loud, but I could use a little more exhaust flow - thought this was a good compromise. As I said, I guess I'll go try it - I won't be out that much money, and I'll make a few videos along the way for everyone to draw from sice opinions are so mixed..

Keep in mind, I hate loud cars that are slow (like a stock Stanger GT with 40 series or something) - and I see my vette as pretty slow haha, so yeah I definitely don't want to make it sound like I got something.. Stealth is my thing, but I do like a deep rumble at idle just to cover up the whine of all those damn accesseries!
Old 11-25-2004, 01:38 AM
ClarenceT
Drifting

Originally Posted by loiq

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...7/mufflers.jpg
Ok, first of all, what's "loud" - can't have a conversation at a stoplight in neutral loud? Shed more light on this please.

Secondly, your diagram doesn't have anything to do with backpressure, which is what we were discussing, but rather velocity of escaping exhaust gasses, which needs to be high obviously - this is achieved by keeping the primary collector of a proper diameter - too small is restrictive, and too big causes them to cool off and lose that velocity (hotter gasses are less dense, and flow faster). In case, a glasspack would become an extension of the collector and screw things up.

In my case, keeping the stock manifolds, y-pipe, cats, and cat-back piping this matters much, much less. Of course a straight, hole free piece of pipe (muffler elim) would be best performance wise, however that would definitely be too loud for my tastes. I need SOME form of silencing...

Last edited by ClarenceT; 11-25-2004 at 01:41 AM.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:29 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I once did a side-by-side dyno compairison of glaspacks and straight pipes. Straight pipes won! And sounded better too!
Old 11-25-2004, 03:17 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

If you are looking for stealth, glasspacks may not be for you. I understand dynomax makes a quiet muffler and adds decent torque. Might want to check around
Old 11-25-2004, 09:03 AM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

I don't think "cherry bombs" are all that different from the targa-style mufflers that many here run.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:33 AM
silver84
Burning Brakes

I own an old 'vette, with a 327,
headers and glasspacks [normal, not jumbo Magnaflows]
Great sound, and pulseing

Glasspacks

Last edited by silver84; 11-25-2004 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:56 AM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by ClarenceT
I'm sorry? FYI my mother works for the PD, and I was going to be a Cadet after volunteering at the PD through highschool, before I went to college on a business major. Does this make it OK? No, but I'm showing you that a word doesn't necessarily reflect a persons feelings.
Are the policemen (and policewomen, in case you think i'd use this word on purpose to offend women) doing a necessary job? You bet. Are they handling it ok? Well, it varies on a person to person basis. Making a blanket statement liek they are all risking their lives for me is silly - like saying that all general contractors are out there doing their best with every job they take on. I guarantee that some of them are cutting quite a few corners, and just want my money and to get out of there. So is a particular police officer that pulled me over because of loud mufflers risking his (or hers, since we're so finicky here) life for me? No. So yeah, when I'm talking about something liek that I'll use vernacular that puts a negative spin on it. It doesn't mean that I hate everyone in the force, just realize that we're human, and some go about their jobs differently. But thanks for assming anyhow.
I came of age in the late 60s-early 70s and am ashamed now to say that I was part of the counter-culture in which that term for law enforcement was coined. I've now lived long enough to see that the stupidity of that culture, although still embraced by the liberal elites, was nothing but a bit of idealism gone wildly astray and sadly is still is having a detrimental effect on our society in my opinion. I, like most of us, am sometimes guilty of lumping a group of people together in a negative context or stereotype and it's something we all must work on to make the world a better place for all. Obviously, as I'm sure you know, they are human like all of us and some are going to be jerks. But overall, they do a difficult job well without enough public support at times and fail, too often, to get the benefit of the doubt from the sensationalist media, too. I respect them greatly and thank them for their service. Sorry for getting off topic but I wanted to address and accept your apology and explain why I hate hearing that term used. Good luck with your muffler selection and your Vette and I'll see you on the forum, my young friend.

Last edited by Corvette Kid; 11-25-2004 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:11 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey guys I think we're missing a VERY important point here. Most glasspack mufflers are actually pretty freakin quiet. When you hear a car with glasspacks that its just extremely loud and has that popping and crackling sound to it that is just so redneck it's for a reason. The reason? THEY INTENTIONALLY INSTALLED THE MUFFLER BAKCWARDS! This causes it to flow for ****, make a ton of noise, and generally sound like crap. We like to call them AssPack mufflers.

A properly installed glasspack is almost dead quiet, if you don't believe me I can take some sound clips of my dad's F-150. It has a really neat sound when you first start it up, but otherwise it's dead quiet at idle and cruise. I wouldn't know what it sounds like when you really fire down on it because it's an inline 6, it doesn't fire down very well.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:31 AM
RED-85-Z51
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm sorry? FYI my mother works for the PD, and I was going to be a Cadet after volunteering at the PD through highschool, before I went to college on a business major. Does this make it OK? No, but I'm showing you that a word doesn't necessarily reflect a persons feelings.
Are the policemen (and policewomen, in case you think i'd use this word on purpose to offend women) doing a necessary job? You bet. Are they handling it ok? Well, it varies on a person to person basis. Making a blanket statement liek they are all risking their lives for me is silly - like saying that all general contractors are out there doing their best with every job they take on. I guarantee that some of them are cutting quite a few corners, and just want my money and to get out of there. So is a particular police officer that pulled me over because of loud mufflers risking his (or hers, since we're so finicky here) life for me? No. So yeah, when I'm talking about something liek that I'll use vernacular that puts a negative spin on it. It doesn't mean that I hate everyone in the force, just realize that we're human, and some go about their jobs differently. But thanks for assming anyhow.

Shut up, you asked a question, people gave responses, and you disagree with some of these responses.

You had every intention of getting the cherry bombs from the beggining, so why did you even ask for our opinion?

I got no beef with joking around about leos and the like, but dont go call them pigs, thats just wrong. Also, post like the one ive quoted here in which you backtrack and insert foot in mouth, make you look stupid.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:54 AM
loiq
Team Owner

Ok, first of all, what's "loud" - can't have a conversation at a stoplight in neutral loud? Shed more light on this please.

Secondly, your diagram doesn't have anything to do with backpressure, which is what we were discussing, but rather velocity of escaping exhaust gasses, which needs to be high obviously - this is achieved by keeping the primary collector of a proper diameter - too small is restrictive, and too big causes them to cool off and lose that velocity (hotter gasses are less dense, and flow faster). In case, a glasspack would become an extension of the collector and screw things up.

In my case, keeping the stock manifolds, y-pipe, cats, and cat-back piping this matters much, much less. Of course a straight, hole free piece of pipe (muffler elim) would be best performance wise, however that would definitely be too loud for my tastes. I need SOME form of silencing...
The diagram was posted as an example of how exhaust gases "see" the different mufflers they travel through. If you don't like the info disregard it. Simple.

Last edited by loiq; 11-25-2004 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:24 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think what he may be getting at is that muffler placement in the exhaust stream has a big effect. That may be perfectly valid for mufflers placed right off the header, but we're not talking about mufflers placed right off the header. Stock manifolds, cats, extra pipe, etc all changes the scenario.

It's perfectly good information, it just might not apply 100% in this situation. Then again it might, I'm not an expert on exhaust flow either. We just have to remember to be careful when trying to apply data to a situation. Kinda apples to oranages if ya know what I mean.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:59 PM
Bruthish
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'06-'08-'09

Originally Posted by TA
I don't think "cherry bombs" are all that different from the targa-style mufflers that many here run.

I have the KBD Targas and they look very similar to Glass packs, there are just 4 of them coming out the rear. If they are the same principle, I will have to sya that the sound is pretty good and they are not too loud until you step on it. Its pretty quite actually and no resonance in the car at all.....

Good Luck

Get notified of new replies

To How do cherry bomb mufflers sound on these?

Old 11-25-2004, 04:16 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

look in them only 2" threw there m
new one's may be 2 1/4"
Old 11-25-2004, 04:22 PM
ClarenceT
Drifting

Nathan, thanks.. I didn't know that you could install them backwards to achieve a different sound, but always knew that they did a fair job of silencing (if installed following the giant arrow stamped on each one of them ) leaving only subdued rumbles behind.. From what I can tell, people that have had first hand experience with them like them, but people that judge through hear-say tend to be negative (using the old "if it was so good everyone would use them" fallacy, etc) Again, this only makes me want them more just in case it works out great - a good deal of people could save a good deal of money (i mean, someone had to find out that the airfoil was too good to be true, right! )

Corvette Kid NC - Again, I have nothing against the police department (meybe an occasional butthead with a power trip here and there, but as I said that happens in every field) and too respect what they do. Keeping the social order is a job that has to be filled, believe me, I'm not an anarchist. A term like "pigs" is only as evil as the meaning behind it, and I assure you I mean no more harm when i say it then when i make blond jokes Blonds are just as respectable as any other hair color, but I don't think I should have to clear that up if I ever make such a comment, know what I mean? Sorry if you took that the wrong way.

Red85 - who pissed in your wheaties? Get a sense of humor, it'll be hard living in this world without one. Also learn to read - I said I was looking on opinions about the sound, since I've never ran these on a motor as large a 5.7 (This is almost verbatim from a few posts above). I guess I was lying, you're right. I'm just here to troll and tell everyone to shut up.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:40 PM
information junkie
Cruising

Originally Posted by Nathan Plemons
Hey guys I think we're missing a VERY important point here. Most glasspack mufflers are actually pretty freakin quiet. When you hear a car with glasspacks that its just extremely loud and has that popping and crackling sound to it that is just so redneck it's for a reason. The reason? THEY INTENTIONALLY INSTALLED THE MUFFLER BAKCWARDS! This causes it to flow for ****, make a ton of noise, and generally sound like crap. We like to call them AssPack mufflers.

A properly installed glasspack is almost dead quiet, if you don't believe me I can take some sound clips of my dad's F-150. It has a really neat sound when you first start it up, but otherwise it's dead quiet at idle and cruise. I wouldn't know what it sounds like when you really fire down on it because it's an inline 6, it doesn't fire down very well.
now that is a good point. also remember that there are diffrent styles of glasspacks. most "coffe can" mufflers are a glasspack with a large body. if you install a glasspack right and use one that is long enough it will be quiet. if it is short it will be loud.
i have driven many cars with stock style mufflers and then driven them after installing glasspacks(worked at a muffler shop) and feel that a supperturbo muffler is a better option for sound and power. but the sound is still a matter of opinion, everyone likes diffrent sounds.

Quick Reply: How do cherry bomb mufflers sound on these?