C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How do cherry bomb mufflers sound on these?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 04:51 AM
ClarenceT
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do cherry bomb mufflers sound on these?

They are cheap, straight through and readily available.. I want to try a couple short stubby ones in place od my stock mufflers before I do some real exhaust work later down the line....

i have an L98 with stock exhaust...
Old 11-23-2004, 07:18 AM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

I have a friend who has them on an otherwise stock '86. He likes them, I think they sound awful. It's a subjective matter.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:27 AM
88421VETTE
Pro

Originally Posted by ClarenceT
They are cheap, straight through and readily available.. I want to try a couple short stubby ones in place od my stock mufflers before I do some real exhaust work later down the line....

i have an L98 with stock exhaust...
Just think Redneck Pickup
and it gets worse when they blow
Old 11-23-2004, 08:34 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 88421VETTE
Just think Redneck Pickup
and it gets worse when they blow

it'll probably rattle every bolt loose (figurativly) due to the exhaust resonance inhearent in the C4 chassis.. I wouldnt recommend it.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:35 AM
GiDvEtTe84
Drifting

How cheap? FLowmasters are around $100 a piece i think at Jegs and they sound good.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:38 AM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You'd be better off with muffler elims. I ran them for about 6 months before I finally got my B&Bs. It was fun, but ear plugs help on long drives.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:47 AM
Chatman
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 102 Posts

They are not so bad. I had Vortex cherry bomb mufflers with 2 1/2 inlets on my 88 convertible for the first year. They were a little too loud for me, especially on long drives. (Recall that this is a convertible and I am a middle-aged conservative guy.) I had no resonance problems at all but have switched to Borla's that I like very much.
Steve
Old 11-23-2004, 10:09 AM
loiq
Team Owner

Cherry bombs - haven't seen those on a car since high school.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:59 AM
mikey whipreck
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

performance wise, they've gotta be alot better then the stock mufflers...

I wouldn't be able to guess what they sound like, but if you looking for some cheap ones: Summit makes their own mufflers that should fit your year, and they're about 30 bucks a piece
Old 11-23-2004, 12:56 PM
loiq
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mikey whipreck
performance wise, they've gotta be alot better then the stock mufflers...

I wouldn't be able to guess what they sound like, but if you looking for some cheap ones: Summit makes their own mufflers that should fit your year, and they're about 30 bucks a piece
They are better than stock, but they aren't the best choice for a performance muffler for that car. Plus, it will be obnoxiously loud.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:07 PM
Bruthish
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'06-'08-'09

Originally Posted by loiq
they still make those???
Old 11-23-2004, 02:30 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey whipreck
they've gotta be alot better then the stock mufflers...
The ironic thing is; they AREN'T! I have seen several tests over the years that indicated those cherry bombs (what we knew as glass-packs, back in the '60s) actually flow LESS than a stock muffler.

They have two things going for them:
they are cheap
they are sturdy

Larry
Old 11-23-2004, 02:36 PM
ClarenceT
Drifting

How the heck can they flow LESS? it's a straight through shot - I can see through the darn thing.. It's a big gaping hole, in whataved diameter I want!
I remember I welded one up on a friend's ranger with a 2.9 4 cyl and it sounded like a v6 with flowmasters, a subdued rumble...
Old 11-23-2004, 02:46 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Most glass packs have lots of big louvers cut into the inner tube. These louvers block about 30% of the diameter.
Believe me, cherry bombs are NOT a performance item. If they were, there would be no market for turbo-type mufflers.
Want more proof? How many guys actually put them on their cars?

If they worked, in the last 50 years the word would have gotten out.....
V

Larry
Old 11-23-2004, 03:23 PM
booya93
Advanced

Only out of curiosity, on my 93, I'm in the beginning stages of a full rebuild. I"m shaving the heads, doing the intake and putting in a mild Wizard cam (among other things). I was told to free up the exhaust with headers, but the wallet has to catch up from the build. I was going to basically leave the cats, cut the mufflers and just put 3" pipes out the back (saw one done that way at Ecklers this year). But I have no idea if this car is too computer controlled to handle that, or if it would simply be too damn loud, etc. Any thought on this one??
Old 11-23-2004, 03:41 PM
ClarenceT
Drifting

Originally Posted by code5coupe
Most glass packs have lots of big louvers cut into the inner tube. These louvers block about 30% of the diameter.
Believe me, cherry bombs are NOT a performance item. If they were, there would be no market for turbo-type mufflers.
Want more proof? How many guys actually put them on their cars?

If they worked, in the last 50 years the word would have gotten out.....
V

Larry
http://www.brcorvetteclub.com/events...dors/corsa.htm

I can't find a cut away of a stock C4 muffler, but use your imagination - in the link there's a cut away of a stock C5 and a Corsa.. It's an intertwined maze of crap; how does that flow better then a straight through hole?

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler5.htm

Sorry Larry, with all due respect, but word has gotten out as you say. Only problem is they do wear out (fiber glass matting burns up) over meybe 2 years of 10k/year driving. Most people don't want to go back to a shop that often to have something else put in. From what I gather, people that have never run these only go by speculation, and jump out with stuff like "they dont work well, otherwise everyone would be doing it" - I've put these on my old toyota truck, a friend's truck, etc - with awesome sound, a slight butt dyno kick in throttle response, and a minimal investment of $16 plus whataver my wire and gas cost to weld it. EVen had a guy with an 87 Supra put one on for him - sounded far better then any rice rocket Folgers can he could have gone with, not to mention it cost a lot less... And again, as far as flow - THESE get a positive response, but all they are is a jumbo glasspack. Louvers? Ok, get a larger diameter to compensate. FYI, all the ones I've seen don't use "louvers" but are drilled, just like that dynomax.

I was more interested in the sound - sinec I've never put these on anything bigger then a 3.0, much less a 5.7 My question was, would it be too loud, I don't really need pigs on my butt everywhere i go telling me to fix it. Size-wise, they are small, and if I sprayed them black, added some nice tips, would really improve the look of the car IMO. I think we might just have a case of ignorance on our hands.. Haha, here's what I'll do - I'll get them anyway, and record some WAVs, make video or something and put it up for you guys to judge. if they suck, so be it - not like I'm out any more then $30. If they arn't too shabby, then who knows meybe it'll be the next 1st choice in "on the budget" corvette modification

Considering the rest of my car, mufflers are definitely not a priority for me. Some day I'll get a nice exhaust set up, for now I'm ok with expririmentation.

However if you can find me a link where someone did some investigating and actually found that they do in fact some how in a round about way flow less then the rat-trap OEM, I'd love to see it..
Old 11-23-2004, 04:37 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by ClarenceT
I don't really need pigs on my butt everywhere i go telling me to fix it.
I could care less what mufflers you put on your car but I do care about having those who risk their lives for us being called "pigs" on this forum.

Get notified of new replies

To How do cherry bomb mufflers sound on these?

Old 11-24-2004, 06:15 AM
ClarenceT
Drifting

I'm sorry? FYI my mother works for the PD, and I was going to be a Cadet after volunteering at the PD through highschool, before I went to college on a business major. Does this make it OK? No, but I'm showing you that a word doesn't necessarily reflect a persons feelings.
Are the policemen (and policewomen, in case you think i'd use this word on purpose to offend women) doing a necessary job? You bet. Are they handling it ok? Well, it varies on a person to person basis. Making a blanket statement liek they are all risking their lives for me is silly - like saying that all general contractors are out there doing their best with every job they take on. I guarantee that some of them are cutting quite a few corners, and just want my money and to get out of there. So is a particular police officer that pulled me over because of loud mufflers risking his (or hers, since we're so finicky here) life for me? No. So yeah, when I'm talking about something liek that I'll use vernacular that puts a negative spin on it. It doesn't mean that I hate everyone in the force, just realize that we're human, and some go about their jobs differently. But thanks for assming anyhow.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:33 AM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have one Bullet muffler feeding into a pair of Magnaflows, I use it in place of the Cat to reduce the sound level.

BTW, I had flash abck,,,, back in the day you were either pro "Cherry Bomb" or pro "THRUSH" sort of like the SR / MR debate,
Old 11-24-2004, 08:39 AM
HeeHaw89
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by loiq

I was just thinking the same thing...I had a 70 Chevelle with nothing more than cherry bombs and pipes...it was loud as hell!!!

Quick Reply: How do cherry bomb mufflers sound on these?