C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Short shifter choices

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 12:49 PM
ninetyfivevette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Short shifter choices

I am trying to decide between the B&M Ripper Shifter and the Hurst Billet/Plus short shifters. I read the tech articles and from that it seems the Hurst is the better choice, but it seems the only fault of the B&M is the effort too high. If you guys with either of these shifters could let me know their opinion, I'd really appreciate it. Also, a pic of a B&M installed would be great, I an curious where the shifter handle is with it's large throw reduction.

PS, I already tried search and didn't get much on the B&M.

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2004, 01:00 PM
Kurac
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm curious on this too. Do either of these shifters reduce shift throws while maintaining the stock shift row effort? I would not get a short throw if it changed the effort on my 6 speed. Right now, I could be rolling to a stop light from 3rd or 4th gear, and just tap the stick out of gear and it slides into neutral so smoothly. I don't want to lose that quality.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:03 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,923 Likes on 1,124 Posts

Religion and politics would be easier to discuss.

You need to find a couple cars that you can sample. This is definitely a personal preference item.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:03 PM
ninetyfivevette
Burning Brakes

Both short shifters will increase effort. From what I've read, the Hurst increases effort 1.4x and the B&M increases 2.5x. I've never shifted a stocker, so I don't know what would be considered acceptable, but personally I would not mind some extra effort.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:04 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You're going to see two sides to this question. It's like Ford vs Chevy each side is sure theirs is best. I'm on the Hurst side and love the throw and feel. I play at auto-X and the shifter makes things quicker and more positive. My advice is to try and drive a C4 with each shifter. We all know that's almost impossible. So, my next piece of advice is to look at both shifters, lay them side by side and you'll see a difference. Besides, the Hurst shifter *****, white and black, are .

Last edited by Strick; 11-23-2004 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:05 PM
ninetyfivevette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 96GS#007

On that note, anyone in the Seattle area who will let me play with their shifter?

I'm actually leaning to the hurst side myself, but I have just not heard or read much about the B&M so I didn't want to charge ahead without hearing the other side.

Last edited by ninetyfivevette; 11-23-2004 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:09 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I have the Hurst, and I love it...

however, there does seem to be a factional issue here... the drag guys prefer the B&M, the road course/autocross guys prefer the Hurst.

I suspect, from what I have read, that because the B&M is even more firm than the Hurst, fatigue comes into play - drags are 1/4 mile at a time, autocross and such are many shifts, up and down.

As suggested, try them both out.

There is no difference in installation... they are both a bitch, and best saved for when the clutch is replaced - just a thought.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:21 PM
Skippy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The B&M shifter throw is unbelievably short and positive compared to the stock shifter. And yes, the effort is quite a bit more than stock also.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:30 PM
VR'92
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by 96GS#007

You need to find a couple cars that you can sample. This is definitely a personal preference item.
I am a Hurst man though.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:52 PM
ninetyfivevette
Burning Brakes

I like the look of Strick's Hurst setup. If someone would post of pic of their B&M, that would be great. I really appreceiate the replies guys.

Luckily I will be installing the shifter with the trans out of the car since I am doing a ZF6 swap.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:41 PM
C4DC
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I went with the Hurst and love it. If I were a serious dragger and not a daily driver I would have given the B&M more consideration though.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:47 PM
Tony.96LT4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bogus
I have the Hurst, and I love it...

however, there does seem to be a factional issue here... the drag guys prefer the B&M, the road course/autocross guys prefer the Hurst.
I think I was one of the first 100 to get the Hurst when it came out. It has been an excellent choice for me. I may be the odd ball but I have no trouble at all power shifting when drag racing. Shifts are smooth and precise. At the time I put it in the big issue with the B&M was rattle, and having a convertible I had enough rattles already. Don't know if they ever got that worked out or not but I have been very happy with the Hurst. I did have to re-shim the shifter this past Spring when I put in a clutch, lots of hard shifts though. Still shifts fine.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:15 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

I've driven both, when I do it, it will be a Hurst.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:16 PM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I put a Hurst in my 96. It is what the stock shifter should have been. Effort is up a bit but it's not something I notice. I do notice the greatly reduced shift throw and slightly lower shift ****. The lower shift **** is now where it should have been.

Funny part is, had the factory designed their shift lever and mechanism like the Hurst, it would have been a bit cheaper to build in addition to performing better.

I have played around a bit grabbing the Hurst lever about 1/2 way down to simulate an ultra short throw shifter like the B&M. I don't think a B&M would pose any problem, but it wouldn't be quite as pleasant as the Hurst.

No matter what you want out of your shifter, I don't think you can go wrong with the Hurst. There is real but small chance that the B&M might seem excessive.

One thing to consider is that neither one narrows the shift pattern as much as it shortens it. The BM pattern will end up wider in proportion to it's short throw than the Hurst or a stock one.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:20 PM
ToyC4
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

My friend has a B&M shifter in his Grand Sport and it's sweet. Just sitting in the car or driving the car normally it feels like it's taking a noticible amount of effort to shift but there's a firm crisp snap when it goes into gear. I autocrossed his car Sunday and before racing I was worried but as soon as I was out on the course it felt great and I never noticed it the rest of the day.

it's nice to have good friends when your car is in the shop all summer
Old 11-24-2004, 02:22 AM
1991ZR1
Advanced

There's one more choice that's between the Hurst and the B&M. White Racing Products makes another one, but it takes more work to install and requires a small modification to the transmission housing.

I have the Hurst and it's a nice improvement over stock. I think a little shorter throw would be nice though. I'm thinking installing the Hurst shift ball may have an effect of shortening the throw a little because the stock **** is tall.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:54 AM
LD85
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

As another option, ZFDOC sells a shortened factory stick that keeps the reverse lockout.

Get notified of new replies

To Short shifter choices

Old 11-24-2004, 10:20 AM
F1Fan
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Skippy
The B&M shifter throw is unbelievably short and positive compared to the stock shifter. And yes, the effort is quite a bit more than stock also.
Ditto that, but it I love it. It blows away the Hurst I used to have in my Camaro. Very ratchety feel, but theres no doubt about being engaged.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:32 AM
ninetyfivevette
Burning Brakes

Thanks a lot guys. I ended up going with the Hurst and a Hurst shifter ball off ebay last night. It was fairly inexpensive, 107 for the shifter and 28 for the ball. Gotta love ebay
Old 11-24-2004, 10:49 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by ninetyfivevette
Both short shifters will increase effort. From what I've read, the Hurst increases effort 1.4x and the B&M increases 2.5x. I've never shifted a stocker, so I don't know what would be considered acceptable, but personally I would not mind some extra effort.
Put a Ripper on my T-56-Love it!

Quick Reply: Short shifter choices