C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Doug Nash 4+3 shifter works hard!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 09:31 PM
BobLocke1950
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Doug Nash 4+3 shifter works hard!!!

I have an 85' C4 Vette with a standard Doug Nash 4+3 shifter that is giving me some trouble. Over the past couple of months it has begun to shift with a lot of difficulty. Moving the shifter lever in or out of any gear is difficult. You have to really push or pull hard. I had the clutch master cylinder replaced, as it was leaking. The new cylinder fixed the clutch problem, however the clutch engages 1" from the floor. Is this to low and can it be adjusted? Is there a common problem with the Nash shifter that I should look for? Help!!!

Bob
Old 12-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Insane1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a simillar proble. Sometimes my shifter is real hard to get into gear and you really have to slam it into gear. It comes out of gear real easy and nothing grinds. Hopefully someone will have some suggestions.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:05 AM
TrueBlue ChevyDude
Drifting

Location: Brandywine, Chester and Ridley Valleys Pennsylvania

Take a look at your linkage. When theclutch hydraulics aren't up to snuff and you end up shifting with the clutch partially engaged, it puts a lot of stress on those components. Definetly new bushings, maybe new shift levers too if the holes are out of round from the extra force needed to overcome the clutch.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:09 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BobLocke1950
The new cylinder fixed the clutch problem, however the clutch engages 1" from the floor. Is this to low and can it be adjusted? Is there a common problem with the Nash shifter that I should look for? Help!!!
Does it FULLY engage at 1" or just start to? If it just starts too that is fine! The system is hydraulic and cannot be adjusted. Did you have the slave cylinder inspected or repleased too? If it cannot hold pressure it'll cause the sort of things you're seeing.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:11 PM
frank j. moran
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BobLocke1950
I have an 85' C4 Vette with a standard Doug Nash 4+3 shifter that is giving me some trouble. Over the past couple of months it has begun to shift with a lot of difficulty. Moving the shifter lever in or out of any gear is difficult. You have to really push or pull hard. I had the clutch master cylinder replaced, as it was leaking. The new cylinder fixed the clutch problem, however the clutch engages 1" from the floor. Is this to low and can it be adjusted? Is there a common problem with the Nash shifter that I should look for? Help!!!

Bob
be sure it was bled correctly also....slave must be removed from the bell housing .....45 deg angle ...be certain the linkage is adjsuted on the trans...
Old 12-06-2004, 04:37 PM
BobLocke1950
Advanced

I Just got off the phone with the mechanic and he admitted to me that the clutch pedal was low to the floor and wants me to bring it back to make sure that every last bit of air is out of the lines. The top of my pedal is also kind of loose too. Wasn't that way before. Trans is quiet when the clutch pedal is on the floor. Anybody know how much a replacement shifter is for this Vette? Nash or other brand!!!
Old 12-07-2004, 01:44 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I posted on your other thread....
Old 12-07-2004, 03:35 PM
randy814u
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not that this is your problem, but mine was the same way, on my 85. I took the tunnel apart to get to the shifter, spayed cleaner all over it, then lubed shifter with wd, and it shifted like a dream. That was 2 years ago, and still doing good. Of course it had 250 thousand miles of gunk on it,
Old 12-07-2004, 05:50 PM
ses86vette
Advanced

I had the EXACT same problem you are having and I replaced both the clutch master cylinder and clutch slave and have had no problems since......Make sure you bleed it well ( that will take about 30 min.)
Old 12-08-2004, 06:07 PM
BobLocke1950
Advanced

My Vette has gone back to the shop this PM and the mechanic is going to try to bleed every last drop of air out of the master cylinder. The fact that there is about 2 inches of top pedal play indicates, it's not up to snuff. Thanks for the input Guys.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:12 PM
sharkface
Intermediate

well, When I first got my 85 c4 with Doug Nash , it didn't go into first. I took the upper part of the counsel out and could spot the mechanism. It seemed like there were four teeth that moved to then engage the linkage bars. I did the same thing as mentioned above and all of a sudden the shifter seemed like a Porsche. That worked until I got new tires about a year later. The tire tech must have done something to recreate the symptom.

I again removed the upper counsel and did the same cleaning, lubing, and wire brushing to the teeth. After this, all the shifter was good for was about 3 miles. Now right back to starting off in third. (what a PITA)....

At least my reverse lock seems to work correctly. I haven't backed into anything yet.

What is it with these shifters? Yes, they are a poor design and the throw is long, but what the heck is preventing the shifter to go into first gear easily? Is it that the teeth (cams) that the shift lever hits are still gummed up?

It would be nice to hear from an expert trans. and shifter rebuilder. At least an explanation would be helpful.

Last edited by sharkface; 06-04-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Doug Nash 4+3 shifter works hard!!!

Quick Reply: Doug Nash 4+3 shifter works hard!!!