C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

how does an intake manifold leak cause oil consumption?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 07:28 AM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

CFI, hey thats great info, the kind of stuff thats helpful to many of us on the forum, thanks
Old 10-17-2015, 07:45 PM
383TT
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help!

Originally Posted by tjwong
And it could suck a LOT of oil from that area! Beleive I know, it happened to me sometime ago on a big block!
I need some major help with this from someone that has had this happen cause I can't get a straight answer from anyone. Could you send me a personal message please?!
Old 10-17-2015, 08:20 PM
bow tie guy
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

I see a lot of young people removing the OEM Positive Crankcase Ventilation, and running catch cans, or rocker cover breathers. personally, I don't think I could hack the fumes in the cockpit, with such a set up.

When I put a magnacharger on my LS powered short bed I put a big loop in the pcv hose, plenum stayed clean and oil consumption slowed

early LS1 vettes had oil consumption issues do to pcv design later cars 2002.5 to 2004 used a revised pcv routing to combat oil consumption
and oil collecting in the plenum
Old 10-17-2015, 09:51 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

383TT PM sent.

Since your new..welcome to the Forum.

For us to help you there are several things that are important in any posting.

1) Always state the year of your car. The C4 covers 1984 thru 1996. The 84 with throttle body injection (L83 engine), 85 thru 91 the L98 and 92-96 with the LT1-LT4 series engines.

2) Give us as much information about your problem as you can.

3) Pictures are very helpful on some issues.

4) It is often better to start a brand new thread with your problem than to resurrect a eleven year old thread.

5) Learn the search and advanced search functions.

6) Fill out your profile. Name, city, year of car etc......it may help if a form member lives close to you.

7) Can you wrench on your own car? or new to the game?
Old 10-17-2015, 10:18 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

I had this happen when I put some aluminum heads on a well maintained sbc, used oil like crazy. The ports were wet with oil. They do make thicker intake gaskets that help. My problem was my new heads would have worked fine on a zero decked block. Mine was a stock (never decked) block, causing the heads to sit a little further out. I decked the heads & used thin head gaskets. That bought the heads down & closer, it tighten up the angles. This intake angle gauge will help you figure out if you have a mismatch, you shouldn't need it on a stock motor though.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: how does an intake manifold leak cause oil consumption?