C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rear not sitting level

Old 12-07-2004, 11:14 AM
DanS711
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear not sitting level

The rear end of my 93 coupe sits lower on the left side by about 1 1/2" measuring from the top of the tire to the fender. Posted about this once before and I checked out several ideas to no avail. Checked underneath, nothing bent, sping does not look delaminated, spring bolts are adjusted exactly the same. Car does not have ride control. When I bought the car I noticed it the shocks looked realitively new (CarQuest gas shocks, eak!) and my question is could a weak shock be causing this problem. My first inclination is to install a new set of Bilstiens front & rear to see if this corrects the problem before I buy a new rear leaf. Car has 67,000 miles. Anyone used the rear leaf from Ecklers (the sport or the standard replacement) appears to be about $100.00 cheaper than GM..Thanks, what a grreat forum!

Dan
Old 12-07-2004, 12:10 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Does the car appear to be leaning when viewed from the rear?? There can be small differences between the wheelwell openings when you measure as you described. That can be due to poor bodywork from an accident repair or even a incorrectly formed part if an entire quarter panel had been replaced.

Even gas shocks should not affect ride height that much. Granted the shocks are probably a cheapo product, but that 1.5 inch difference just doesn't make any sense. Is there a noticable bouncing of the car as you drive? If one of the shocks loses it's gas charge, that shock should not be anywhere near as firm as the one on the other side.

I would suspect some spring damage even though there may not be visible delamination. Is it easier to push down on the fender on the low side compared to the other side? Does the car rebound as quickly and stop immediately if you try this on the low side compared to the other side?

If you do go with a new spring, get a spring that is equal to the one on the car. I'm assuming that the car has the base FE1 suspension. If you don't have the FX3 Selective Ride Control, the car does not have the optional Z07 performance suspension package which used a stiffer spring. FX3 was also available as a option by itself, but that option alone came with the base springs.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:22 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 371 Posts

you say this thing has aftermarket shocks? on it. try measuring from the bottom of the shock to the top mount while the car is sitting flaton the ground, compare the two.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:42 PM
cdsmith
Instructor

I have the same problem. One side is definitely lower than the other. Any ideas?
Old 12-07-2004, 02:22 PM
DanS711
Racer

Car does appear to be leaning when viewed from the rear, that is ho I first noticed it. I looked pretty extensively underneath for any signs of accident damage or body repair and saw none. Does bounce easier on the left than the right. I will measure the shocks tonight and if that doesn't reveal anything I may just pull them off and check them. I guess if that's not it it may be time for a spring.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 12-07-2004, 08:46 PM
Carolina C4 Racer
Pro

Best I can tell this is a common occurence. I & 2 friends all have 92's & all 3 sit lower on the left side.
None have been wrecked.
The shocks won't make a difference but if you just have to prove it to yourself, remove both rear shocks & swap sides.
You can also remove the spring & turn it around but that didn't help us either.
My suggestion: adjust the castle nut on the spring bolts to get the height "closer" to level & just learn to live with the rest, besides it looks good from the drivers seat right????
Old 12-07-2004, 08:47 PM
tsts

Default car leans on left side

I got my '94 LT1 in late Sept. w/96K miles and a lean like yours, I also thought it was a just little bit soft/low overall. Looked underneath and found driver's side of mono-spring beginning to delaminate (left side). Made some posts on the forum, got great advise, and did the spring replacement. Used optional longer bolts but adjusted them to old bolt length(s). Rear went up about 3 inches from where it had been and after setteling a few weeks measured 28 inches thru center of axle to top of highest point of wheel well opening - equal on both sides (no more lean). Got spring from VBP in Fl. 4 days after ordering. With forum members price discount was $269.96. Check out old post, job was easy and took 2 hours (not counting jacking and securing vehicle for work). Their item # for spring was #31301, longer bolts item #32331 ($18.95). Spring looked a little different but fit perfectly & works great. Did have to eliminate a few shims because the mounting point was thicker, The spring is made for '84 to '96 vettes. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:00 PM
94brick
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had that exact same problem with my 94. Although it was maybe a inch in different I could still notice it. However I ended up lowering the car and now it sits level.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:47 PM
tempest
Burning Brakes

this may be an apples-to-oranges comparison, but my old Camaro had this problem. in my old parking spot, i had to take a hard right to pull into it. this would cause the car to lean a bit and then stay there - slop in the suspension.

if i drove it around, went straight for a bit and then stopped, i noticed the car didn't lean then.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:44 AM
DanS711
Racer

Thanks for the help. I pulled the shocks off last night and I still have the lean. I can look at it from the rear and see that the left side of the spring does not have as much bow as the right side. I will be checking out VBP for a spring today and definately replacing the discount shocks. Could be the spring is just tired from having a 200 lb driver riding on that side for 11 years.

Thanks again for the help,
Dan
Old 11-01-2015, 04:36 PM
MuRCieLaGo
Advanced

Same problem here on a '91 ZR-1. 11 years later, anybody found what's the problem?
Old 11-01-2015, 11:47 PM
chadk
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

same problem with mine. I installed new spring and shocks. Same thing. I installed new and longer bolts to try and level. Still do not help. I cant find the cause. I researched the heck out of this and could never find the answer. Only that I need to do is install new bushings and front mono spring. It could be the front spring. If that doesn't fix I don't know what would.

Chad
Old 11-02-2015, 09:47 AM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

On mine adjusting the rear suspension on one side did not help to level it. Try jacking the front up using a floor jack in the center. If it levels then the problem is not the rear suspension. I had to shim one side of my front spring which leveled the rear then adjust the hood and bumper to level the body in front.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:47 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

You need to get your FSM out and check the measurement's listed at the frame points. Than you will know if its a body or suspension issue, You also need to check the front as a low front corner will effect the opposing rear corner.

Do a search on posts by WVZR-1 he has covered this many times.

Last edited by FASTAZU; 11-02-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:52 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

If you suspect it's the rear spring, before replacing it, flip it left to right 180 degrees. If the car still sits the same way, it's not the spring. If the other side is high, replace the thing.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:36 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Just a thought: are the two bat-wing mounting bushings OK? If one is deformed the rear end will not be evenly supported.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:58 AM
MuRCieLaGo
Advanced

So that's one of the biggest mysteries of the C4. Somebody (smarter than me ) gotta find what's the problem. Mine (ZR-1) sits lower on the left side (about a full inch).

Get notified of new replies

To Rear not sitting level

Old 03-12-2016, 10:03 AM
charliet615
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

So does mine, 93 vert..........Oh the mystery of it all............
Old 03-12-2016, 12:30 PM
rdicarlo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lowered my c4 rear today. It's uneven, but I'm going to wait to readjust the bolts until i'm on level ground.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:21 PM
MuRCieLaGo
Advanced

I like the color of your C4.

So that means that can't be a problem with the shocks themselves. ZR-1 got different shocks from regular C4s.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear not sitting level