C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Some help fellas...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 02:09 AM
84GSCLONE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some help fellas...

Ok I've taken my vette to the shop for a routine check up ... and they recommended me changing the wireloom? ?I'm new to this ... so is this the wiring harness? ... If so they are telling me its going to run about $300 brand new ... but they will try to find a used one ... Now on the other hand ... I have a chance to buy a TPI set up with everything wiring harness,intake manifold, injectors and so on for less than $500 ... what to do what to do?? I don't know if i should go look for a used wiring harness as I dont plan on keeping this engine in the car by June ...I'm planning to either rebuild it or move on and upgrade... But for the time being .. What do you guys recommend? Thanks!
Old 12-11-2004, 02:14 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

1) You more than likely will need the new harness. Read my sticky at the top of the page regarding a Warning to Early C4 owners.

2) Don't bother with the TPI system. It's not all that great, and for the $$, you can do better. But you have to be cautious regarding CARB. If it was me, I would just go to a Super Ram and be done with it. You can also update the xfire... It's got about 400hp waiting to be released.
Old 12-11-2004, 03:11 AM
84GSCLONE
Instructor

what could I do make this puppy pump out that much HP and keep it emissions legal ... Im in CA ... purdy strict here ... Ok I will more than likely go with a new one ... a used one wouldnt be recommended for at least the time being??
Old 12-11-2004, 07:40 PM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...

Originally Posted by bogus
2) Don't bother with the TPI system. It's not all that great, and for the $$, you can do better. But you have to be cautious regarding CARB. If it was me, I would just go to a Super Ram and be done with it. You can also update the xfire... It's got about 400hp waiting to be released.
You should start with gears to wake her up first... then start in on the motor with 'mild' mods. If you keep her in tune, and make sure that all the emissions stuff is working properly, you should be able to stab a mild cam, ported heads and intake, and some other various things to get some umph out of her. If that doens't work... there is always a spray of laughing gas
Old 12-11-2004, 08:10 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

It's hard to be sure exactly what they/ you mean by the info you've thus far provided, but if it is indeed the harness, which is over 20 years old BTW, it may very well need replacing and I don't think I'd fool with a used one since it's likely to be just as old. Make sure all of your stock systems are up to snuff and THEN you can start with the mods. There's a guy on the forum called CFI-EFI who knows just a LITTLE bit about your year in particular, and a few other things as well..... I'm thinking he'll chime in at some point.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:48 PM
HWoods
Drifting

Check out the Cross Fire Vault
http://www.crossfire.homeip.net/

web site dedicated to cross fire injected cars
Old 12-12-2004, 12:29 AM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...

Originally Posted by HWoods
Check out the Cross Fire Vault
http://www.crossfire.homeip.net/

web site dedicated to cross fire injected cars
Now that is awesome!!! I've always been a fan of the Crossfire!!! I've been called several names because of it too... It is nice to know that there is a place where I can learn more about it.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:02 AM
84GSCLONE
Instructor

OK SO I FIND OUT ITS NOT THE ENTIRE HARNESS ... (I FOUND OUT A WHILE BACK BUT I HAVENT BEEN AROUND TO GET ANY NEW 411) ... THEY TELL ME ITS ON THE REAR PASSENGER SIDE OF THE MOTOR ... ITS A SMALL WIRE LOOM THAT THEY RECOMMEND REPLACING ... I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEIR TALKING ABOUT ... ANY OF YOU GUYS KNOW? SMALL WIRELOOM AROUND THE REAR OF THE MOTOR BY THE A/C? ANY HELP THANKS!
Old 12-23-2004, 08:45 AM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 84GSCLONE
OK SO I FIND OUT ITS NOT THE ENTIRE HARNESS ... (I FOUND OUT A WHILE BACK BUT I HAVENT BEEN AROUND TO GET ANY NEW 411) ... THEY TELL ME ITS ON THE REAR PASSENGER SIDE OF THE MOTOR ... ITS A SMALL WIRE LOOM THAT THEY RECOMMEND REPLACING ... I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEIR TALKING ABOUT ... ANY OF YOU GUYS KNOW? SMALL WIRELOOM AROUND THE REAR OF THE MOTOR BY THE A/C? ANY HELP THANKS!
2 things here.............get yourself a Helms manual for you car and it will answer some (or most) of your questions....and there is no need to SHOUT.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:19 PM
84GSCLONE
Instructor

Originally Posted by ittlfly
2 things here.............get yourself a Helms manual for you car and it will answer some (or most) of your questions....and there is no need to SHOUT.

2 things for you ... go on those internet dating services where they dont have pictures of dogs and of actual women looking for dating... and thanks for the advice

if you had a small wiring problem and don't know anything of it ... you'd want to be heard as well...
Old 12-23-2004, 11:07 PM
mikey whipreck
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you're description is too vague...

any guess would probably be just stabs in the dark...

are you talking about where your starter is located? or farther back on the tranny?

Get notified of new replies

To Some help fellas...

Quick Reply: Some help fellas...