C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Hurst shifter install.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 10:59 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Ok I didnt get any pictures of the reinstall but its pretty straight fwd.

And you all owe me a beer no for posting all that!
Old 04-14-2005, 11:45 PM
Rex Ruby
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts
Philly 'Burbs Events Coordinator

Excellent pictures, looks like you have the install very well documented
Old 04-15-2005, 12:52 AM
DMark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jp,

Thanks, this helps alot.

A couple of questions.

"...Under the car, remove the lower zip tie DO NOT CUT THE TOP ONE LEAVE IT IN PLACE..." -- What are these zip ties holding? I can't tell in the picture.

"...after you remove the lower zip tie you pull the protective boot back you will see the c-clip and the small pin holding the lever to the input shaft of the trany rotate the c-clip so the open end is up put a screw driver in and pull that bitch out then if your unlucky youll have to get a punch and hammer and get the pin out..." -- Since this is where most are having problems with the install which pin are you refering to? Would it be the one that goes into the hole that your screwdriver is covering up in the picture?

In some of your pictures you show the stock shifter in the metal housing along with the lower rubber boot sitting on your work bench. I understood that the housing stays in the car and only the shifter comes out. Which works best?

OK, that all the questions for now.... I'll buy you a beer at BG in May.

Again Thanks!

DMark
Old 04-15-2005, 07:42 AM
phrogs
Race Director

Originally Posted by DMark

A couple of questions.
"...Under the car, remove the lower zip tie DO NOT CUT THE TOP ONE LEAVE IT IN PLACE..." -- What are these zip ties holding? I can't tell in the picture.
Ok the Zip ties are keeping the rubber boot attached to the rear of the transmission and the large one does the same thing up top on the retaining plate, that's what they are for.

"...after you remove the lower zip tie you pull the protective boot back you will see the c-clip and the small pin holding the lever to the input shaft of the trany rotate the c-clip so the open end is up put a screw driver in and pull that bitch out then if your unlucky you'll have to get a punch and hammer and get the pin out..." -- Since this is where most are having problems with the install which pin are you referring to? Would it be the one that goes into the hole that your screwdriver is covering up in the picture?
you have to imagine that this assembly is in the car
that is the pin under my screwdriver, when you are under the car you have to pull the rubber boot back to gain access to the C-clip and retaining pin, now when you get the boot out of the way you will see the shifter linkage and the c-clip no problem you can only move the boot so far back once you move it you'll see the clip it will make since when your under the car.

In some of your pictures you show the stock shifter in the metal housing along with the lower rubber boot sitting on your work bench. I understood that the housing stays in the car and only the shifter comes out. Which works best?

You can not remove the housing out of the car

The pictures were for instructional purposes what you see is my extra shifter and housing, your housing is staying in the car you are only removing the shifter.

Last edited by phrogs; 04-15-2005 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:11 AM
LoTu5
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great photo's Johnny!,Mark ,i will take some more photo's and post and then the install will become clearer.
The mistakes ive made so far,
1/i cut the top tie off,
2 there is a rubber O-ring where does that go?,
between us this will become clearer.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:17 AM
LoTu5
Drifting

Lower rubber on shifter housing at rear of box,

Old 04-15-2005, 09:27 AM
LoTu5
Drifting

Close up of lower boot rubber/on shifter housing,only the large tie around the shifter plate and the lower of the 2 forward ties need to be cut.

btw,notice broken rear bracket on shifter H/g,the only fault ive found with the box so far,anyone got one?

Last edited by LoTu5; 04-15-2005 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:55 AM
LoTu5
Drifting

Rubber is pulled back,wire ring is pullud back out of the way of the pin and pin is knocked upwards with small drift and hammer once the cover plate is removed the stock shifter can be removed.

Old 04-15-2005, 10:00 AM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Thanks for the pics, as you may recall, my rubber boot is not around the lip as it should be..now I know how it is supposed to look...weekend project...here we come!!!!

Thanks J
Old 04-15-2005, 10:21 AM
phrogs
Race Director

Originally Posted by LoTu5
2 there is a rubber O-ring where does that go?
:

I wondered about that as well then I read the instructions and I figured it out its a secret until you read them. you dont need the o-ring but I forgot what it is for
Old 04-15-2005, 10:22 AM
DMark
Drifting

phrogs, LoTu5,

OH MAN..., I AM SO PUMPED UP to do this mod now! Thanks for the help and guidance guys. Ya are the greatest!

Might have to become ill and leave the office early today. I think the only cure for me will be the Hurst Shifter therapeutic treatment!

DMark
Old 04-15-2005, 10:45 AM
LoTu5
Drifting

DMark,your welcome,ive done the fitting once and want to do it a couple more times,so far ive got all the parts laid out so if you come to a stumbling point ile be around to go thru it with some more photos,enjoy your weekend.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:52 AM
LoTu5
Drifting

Originally Posted by phrogs
I wondered about that as well then I read the instructions and I figured it out its a secret until you read them. you dont need the o-ring but I forgot what it is for

Rubber O-ring, page4 section 13 "89-94 models: install the clip previously removed.......
Old 04-16-2005, 10:19 AM
LoTu5
Drifting

Default Shoddy workmanship!

Ive turned my attentions to the shifter in my car today and so far ive found the 4 chrome hex acorn nuts missing,wire ties not reinstalled, and the wire clip around the pin missing!,so if your cars been where mine has been its worth a check!

Look no clip,
Old 04-16-2005, 11:39 AM
taknkarevette
Racer

That is f-up CLiff I cant believe how he screwed you over that is just lazy as work no respect of your car or yourself Im glad your getting it all sorted out but damn!
Old 04-16-2005, 12:48 PM
LoTu5
Drifting

Just 1 area i want to make clearer,to seperate the"gear shift rod" from the shifter i positioned them over 2 bits of wood to knock out "flange pin" this is replaced by new pin and C-clips in the kit
The "gear shift rod shaft" pin then pulls out of shifter ,notice flat area on "gear shift rod shaft"pin faces up towards shifter with 2 small concave washers between the flat area and "gear shift rod"
Old 04-17-2005, 09:15 PM
LoTu5
Drifting

Heres the finished assembly which is going to be put to one side while i pull the ZF from the car for a clean and service.

Get notified of new replies

To Hurst shifter install.

Old 04-18-2005, 12:09 AM
DMark
Drifting

Cliff,

Thanks again for all of the great pictures and helpful hints. I didn't get to my Hurst installed this weekend, too many "Honey-Do's" around the house.

However I am prep to begin this week. I will use your and phrogs pictures as my guide.

Thanks,

DMark
Old 04-18-2005, 12:22 AM
shaynezrl
Instructor

Originally Posted by phrogs
Hurst is in shims are installed and retaining cover is secured

when reinstalling this zip tie put the two together first then place them on the boot and tighten the one end thats left.

ah all done looks great you can use your stock shift **** if you want but I wanted something different even if it does say hurst on the side of it.
Ok I didnt get any pictures of the reinstall but its pretty straight fwd just do it in reverse

And you all owe me a few beers now for posting all that!
you are the man..i've always wanted to install one but was not to skilled..but from those pics...you've inspired me to my next weekend project. Looks good thank you for those pics
Old 04-18-2005, 08:38 AM
phrogs
Race Director

Originally Posted by shaynezrl
you are the man..i've always wanted to install one but was not to skilled..but from those pics...you've inspired me to my next weekend project. Looks good thank you for those pics
Hey no problem!
thats what we are here for right!

Oh I did forget to mention about the shift boot that bolts over the tranny tunnel hole that can be a pain to get in When I did mine I removed the tunnel carpet and plastic so I could get in there to get that stupid boot on, which also included removing the seat but I needed to do that anyway since my carpet needed a good vacuming

Have fun with it and dont rush and if you get stuck email us and well be able to help

johnny

Quick Reply: Hurst shifter install.