C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Purchase Decision: ZR1 or Mustang Cobra??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2001, 03:32 AM
LT-IV
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Purchase Decision: ZR1 or Mustang Cobra?? (LymanSS)

Man!!!!
All I can say is: If you have to ask.............
Old 08-17-2001, 04:48 AM
bb
Racer

Default Re: Purchase Decision: ZR1 or Mustang Cobra??

Well, as a previous Cobra owner ('97 Coupe) I have to defend them a little . . . my old car, with ONLY basic bolt-ons was a track tested mid 12 sec car, on stock rubber! Granted it was extrodinarily fast for a Cobra (I guess I got a cherry), and by the Seat of My Pants meter - faster than my current Vette ('99 HT), I wouldn't trade the Vette for it for anything! Every single time I get in my Vette, and crank up that sweet sounding 8, I get a stupid grin like it is my first time in the car . . . you can't match that feeling with the Mustang.

On the flip side, the Mustang was the funnest car I have ever owned, because it was fast, and I could rag it out and drive it like I hated it!! I would never abuse a ZR-1 the way I abused that car.

I agree fully with the posts above that say if money is at all a factor, go for the Stang, if appreciation of a marvel of engineering is the factor - ZR1 all the way.

[Modified by bb, 2:48 AM 8/17/2001]
Old 08-17-2001, 10:08 AM
SPEEDEMON
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Scott

Of course a ZR-1, man that's a no brainer!
Old 08-17-2001, 07:16 PM
ZR1991
Drifting

Default Re: Purchase Decision: ZR1 or Mustang Cobra?? (SPEEDEMON)

I really like the analysis bb presents above, and I think it is the single reason the Stang is so popular.

I'd love to have one of the new "dark pewter" color GT's with the "Bullit" wheels like I described in another post. A convertible, and a real fun car to knock around in.

But no replacement for a ZR1, no way!
Old 08-18-2001, 05:00 AM
RubyZR1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott,FWIW, there's an old saying....."you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink."
Last year(september) when I was tossing up what corvette to buy,I could'nt decide on what year; all I knew was after being a passenger in a 92 ZR1, I had to have one.
After much consideration I went with a 40th Anniversary ZR1 mainly due to the 405 HP LT5 & the fact that my 40th birthday was in July,2001.
This will more than likely be the only corvette I will ever own, mainly due to the costs involved in shipping,importation & RHD conversion,etc.
I know for certain that if I lived in the States right now; I'd buy at least one ZR1 from each production year.I'm addicted to the C4's for sure.
I'm not well versed with all the performance statistics & these have been posted above anyway; all I would advise your friend is simply go for a ride in a
ZR1.If he does'nt get hooked then,he never will.
One things for sure,it won't cost him $30000.
Putting aside the warranty issues & new versus second hand, for $30000 your friend could buy a really nice low mileage ZR1.
Rgds Wayne

Quick Reply: Purchase Decision: ZR1 or Mustang Cobra??