C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Where can one buy a ZR-1 engine????

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2001, 07:13 PM
W i l l
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Where can one buy a ZR-1 engine???? (phrogs)

I know of a coffee table over in Austin that could probably pass as an LT5 crate motor in a pinch! Right, Paul?
Old 09-24-2001, 03:49 PM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 223 Posts

Default Re: Where can one buy a ZR-1 engine???? (W i l l)

I've got an extra LT-5 with trans, computer, manifolds, etc. It was out of a wrecked 92. Has 14,000 miles or so on it. I got it as a spare for my 1990. Well, the '90 is gone. I have a '94 now. Guess I might sell the engine. Kinda want to keep the transmission, but not sure why I would except to take up more space in the garage.

What is it worth anyway?

D.
:seeya
Old 09-25-2001, 02:12 AM
Ultra Slow
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Where can one buy a ZR-1 engine???? (FrankUrbinati)

Much better off with a stock one..... A modified one may be fast for a "while" but its only as good as the guy that built it, and if its not in his personal car, its not that good. My experince..... A stock LT5 is about as bulletproof as a motor can get and has tons of power with simple bolt ons.
Old 09-25-2001, 11:32 AM
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Re: Where can one buy a ZR-1 engine???? (ZR-1DUDE)

[QUOTE]I've got an extra LT-5 with trans, computer, manifolds, etc. It was out of a wrecked 92. Has 14,000 miles or so on it. I got it as a spare for my 1990. Well, the '90 is gone. I have a '94 now. Guess I might sell the engine. Kinda want to keep the transmission, but not sure why I would except to take up more space in the garage.

How much do you want for the tranny ? e-mail me.
Thanks - Sam -
Old 09-25-2001, 12:19 PM
ZR1
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Where can one buy a ZR-1 engine???? (Ultra Slow)

A modified one may be fast for a "while" but its only as good as the guy that built it, and if its not in his personal car, its not that good. My experince.....
Well I have to take exception with this. I take care of other people's cars much better than my own simply because they are much more demanding than I am. It always has to be better than when I got it. What I mean by that is that small things that are wrong with it all must be fixed even it that wasn't part of the deal. If it comes in broke, you will be blamed for it no matter what.
Old 09-27-2001, 01:27 PM
RatRacer
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: Where can one buy a ZR-1 engine???? (ZR1)

Matt's probably refering to your run of the mill race shop. I'm a do-it-yourself guy because of some of the same bad experiences. There are a handful of people that I actually trust with my stuff.
Old 09-28-2001, 06:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Re: Where can one buy a ZR-1 engine???? (Cam Potter)

Matt's probably refering to your run of the mill race shop. I'm a do-it-yourself guy because of some of the same bad experiences. There are a handful of people that I actually trust with my stuff.
Yes he is , Me and Matt have spent a total of $ 1,999,999.99 thru the years on custom machine shops engine rebuilds, which just don't hold up due to poor machine work, and aftermarket experimental (where the customers gets to experiment with parts that haven't been engineered properly) and it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. not to mention the wrenches never cool down.
I'm sure there's a few out there that care and but most don't.
For the record , just from reading the posts that ZR1 writes, he sounds like he knows his stuff, and does care.
Old 09-28-2001, 09:24 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

How much do you want for the motor? and do you have pictures?
just post on here or email me at this address
powersjk@1maw.usmc.mil
:cheers:
Old 09-28-2001, 10:08 PM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 223 Posts

Here is a link for the LT-5 pics.
http://www.corvettekid.com/LT5/

I have no idea of what it is worth. The engine or trans. Not sure if I want to sell it or not.

What is it worth?

Some people have been asking if I would sell the trans seperate, probably not but who knows. How much is it worth?

Alright, clear as mud eh?

Later,
D.
Old 09-29-2001, 12:10 AM
Ultra Slow
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Where can one buy a ZR-1 engine???? (8388)

Yes, but I am also reffering to some big named tuners too. There are alot of people who care out there that work on these type cars, I am one of them and I do work on alot of very expensive high end cars. I just stay away from major mods. Its not so much the actual installation of things and the guys that really care who put the parts in, its the inherant problem of redesigning a factory proven part. There are tons of mods that are proven especially in an old school small block, but whenever the best of the best tries to second guess a motor that 10's of millions of research went into like the LT5 by stroking, adding large cams and redesigning the overall setup, the person paying the bill is rolling a loaded dice, loaded heavily against him. Even with the best intentions, this motor will never be as reliable as the way it came. It may be faster, but after years of stroked motors, every hot rod part under the sun, 100's of engine pulls, there is something to be said for going pretty fast all the time as a ZR1 does with bolt on mods, VS one that goes real fast for a very short time where you spend as much if not more than you paid for the car tearing it up. I love racing as you can tell, but I hate unreliable stuff as I am the one who not only pays for it in my cars, but has to fix it too. I have yet to see a really good reliable motor built beyond its original bore-stroke etc. This is why I am so sold on the ZR1, there is not a car built that can take what I dish out to a ZR1, but only in stock form with bolt on mods.

Old 09-29-2001, 02:18 PM
phrogs
Race Director

I have no idea of what it is worth. The engine or trans. Not sure if I want to sell it or not.

What is it worth?

Alright, clear as mud eh?

Later,
D.
Well how much did you pay for it?
Ive seen many prices for these engines and im looking for something I can afford and right now it aint much :lol:
Old 10-11-2001, 05:31 PM
phrogs
Race Director

back up still looking.... :yesnod:

Quick Reply: Where can one buy a ZR-1 engine????