C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

What's the going price?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 03:05 PM
RED-85-Z51
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default What's the going price?

For a 50-75K mile, Red/Saddle 1990 ZR1?

with or without both tops.

Paint 9/10- 10/10
Interior 9/10- 10/10
Engine- Mint
Mechanically sound.

Not modded, stock!

This is what Im going to be on the look out for in the very near future, and I need to know what they are going for, so I know when I will have enough money to drop cash on it.

Looking at various places, this kind of car seems to range from 18K to 26,500.

You can tell which ones are priced to move, and who "really" doesnt want to sell it
Old 10-20-2007, 06:21 PM
ckulchar
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd guess $16-18.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:24 PM
lite blue
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Red! You going to step up?!
Old 10-20-2007, 07:42 PM
RED-85-Z51
Team Owner

Originally Posted by lite blue
Red! You going to step up?!
I got this new job, steady paycheck, It should be within my grasp pretty soon.

But I refuse to get a loan to do it, want to drop a sack of bills on it, and get whatever I can for the ol '85.

It's gotta be RED, Gotta be stock, and it's gotta look and run great!

Besides...the day an '06 Camry outruns a ZR1....Ill buy a lambo
Old 10-20-2007, 09:02 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ckulchar
I'd guess $16-18.
Its worth more in parts than 16K and hes not asking for to much just a perfect 9 out of 10 on everything.

If thats what you want youll have to pony up the dough or you will spend it repairing what is broken or worn on a 50K or higher ZR1 just what I have seen.

Id say $22,000 should be a good starting point to save towards the right car will come around and there are plenty of red ones so you wont have to worry about that
Old 10-20-2007, 10:56 PM
RED-85-Z51
Team Owner

Originally Posted by phrogs
Its worth more in parts than 16K and hes not asking for to much just a perfect 9 out of 10 on everything.

If thats what you want youll have to pony up the dough or you will spend it repairing what is broken or worn on a 50K or higher ZR1 just what I have seen.

Id say $22,000 should be a good starting point to save towards the right car will come around and there are plenty of red ones so you wont have to worry about that
I should hope that with only 50K miles there wouldnt be too much to replace that is broken or worn out, I mean honestly, my car, as antiquated as it is, didnt start to wear mechanically until about 125K miles, and for the first 100K it was beat on regularly by the Previous owner.

And when I say 9/10, Im saying I want it to be a solid 5 footer on the paint, and Id expect the interior to look great, but not "new" obviously. The one thing I would expect is that all things function, except of course the CD player and the bose amps, which would probably be replaced anyways.

The only planned mods are Corsa ZR1 Exhaust, and possibly those nice painted rear light louvers.

It would be a daily driver, about 35 miles a day round trip to work, and Saturday afternoon it would get a wash and wax, vacuuming, standard detailing, then cruise to the local weekend car show, like I did with my '85 back when I was still in HS Id see a ZR1 every so often, I knew what it was, few others knew how special they are, nodding them off as "another C4".

Besides the mods, It will sleep under one of those 3 layer car covers, with the lock that goes under the car Until I can get a car port built.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:48 PM
ckulchar
Burning Brakes

phrogs

These are on the registry. I've never seen either. One is in need of a few minor repairs. When these Z's get offered for $15,000 I know there is a good chance someone is going to part it out. God is going to punish you guys.

DESCRIPTION/OPTIONS= I am selling a very nice 1990 ZR1 corvette. It is stunning in red with black leather interior. It just had new tires and recent brake work for inspection. It has 85,000 original miles on it. This ZR1 also has both the clear and painted roof. Owners manual. It also has Watson Headers with the stock Cat converters in place and stock exhaust in place. (Runs very smooth and quiet). It also has a upgraded air filter. It gets 27MPG driving to work and back. This car runs very strong and does not miss a beat. If you see it in person it looks and drivers it drivers like a 40k ZR1. Price is $14,999. I would also consider trading up to a 1994 or 1995 with a Doug Rippie or similar upgraded package. I am located in in Pennsylvania about 1 hr north of center city Philadelphia zip code 18947. Please call 1 215 768 4098 or email pax502@mns.com. $14,999

1990 ZR-1 stock with DRM chip and 1995 ZR-1 rims. This car has been responsibly driven the way a ZR-1 should be. No power shifts, and not reved past 6700 rpm. The top has internal frame damage due to a forgetful owner not fastening it down before a drive. It is functional and looks just fine but is missing the header section of the frame which broke off. In addition, the CD player and radio are inop. The antenna motor assembly was replaced in 2005. The starter is 1 year old. Tires have 3000 miles on them. Battery is 1 year old. Primary injectors were replaced last year. Brake master was replaced 2005. I don't want to sell but have a new baby and a 3 year old and corporate headquarters says she gotta go!! $17,900

Last edited by ckulchar; 10-20-2007 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:09 AM
RED-85-Z51
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ckulchar
phrogs

These are on the registry. I've never seen either. One is in need of a few minor repairs. When these Z's get offered for $15,000 I know there is a good chance someone is going to part it out. God is going to punish you guys.

DESCRIPTION/OPTIONS= I am selling a very nice 1990 ZR1 corvette. It is stunning in red with black leather interior. It just had new tires and recent brake work for inspection. It has 85,000 original miles on it. This ZR1 also has both the clear and painted roof. Owners manual. It also has Watson Headers with the stock Cat converters in place and stock exhaust in place. (Runs very smooth and quiet). It also has a upgraded air filter. It gets 27MPG driving to work and back. This car runs very strong and does not miss a beat. If you see it in person it looks and drivers it drivers like a 40k ZR1. Price is $14,999. I would also consider trading up to a 1994 or 1995 with a Doug Rippie or similar upgraded package. I am located in in Pennsylvania about 1 hr north of center city Philadelphia zip code 18947. Please call 1 215 768 4098 or email pax502@mns.com. $14,999

1990 ZR-1 stock with DRM chip and 1995 ZR-1 rims. This car has been responsibly driven the way a ZR-1 should be. No power shifts, and not reved past 6700 rpm. The top has internal frame damage due to a forgetful owner not fastening it down before a drive. It is functional and looks just fine but is missing the header section of the frame which broke off. In addition, the CD player and radio are inop. The antenna motor assembly was replaced in 2005. The starter is 1 year old. Tires have 3000 miles on them. Battery is 1 year old. Primary injectors were replaced last year. Brake master was replaced 2005. I don't want to sell but have a new baby and a 3 year old and corporate headquarters says she gotta go!! $17,900

Saw both of those, based the low end of my projected range from them, and some others.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:12 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I suppose everyones motivation/personal situation for selling is different..IMO these are so undervalued its not even funny.
Personally I aint budging, Ive regretted selling a lot of nice cars for dirt, but this will not be one I give away without feeling Ok about the price.

Last edited by cv67; 10-21-2007 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:31 AM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by RED-85-Z51
Saw both of those, based the low end of my projected range from them, and some others.
You should be able to find one in your price range Red. Especially during this time of year. These cars are generally taken very good care of, so even with the miles range you are looking for the interior/exterior can be 9.0+
Be patient. And ask as many questions here as needed.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:58 AM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

you wouldnt expect alot of repairs for a 50K mile vehicle but if your looking at a 1990 ZR-1 im sorry but the cars are comming up on their 18th birthday.
my first one #354 is 18 years old this month built october 1989.

Im just saying things with need attention like weatherstrip for one I dont care how well it was taken car of some of the WS will need attention.

just be prepared for something but of course Look at the car before you buy it.

I use my ZR1 for a daily driver and it is great fun im not trying to deter you.

It sounds like your on a budget I wouldnt want you to jump into a car that sounds great only to have some expensive problems down the road.

Im not talking drivetrain but interior leaks paint yada yada alot depends on when and where the car has been if its a northern car put away for half the year sure it will be in better shape than one that has been driven everyday and left outside. just food for thought not a bash by any means

Last edited by phrogs; 10-21-2007 at 01:02 AM.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:10 AM
RED-85-Z51
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ZR-71
You should be able to find one in your price range Red. Especially during this time of year. These cars are generally taken very good care of, so even with the miles range you are looking for the interior/exterior can be 9.0+
Be patient. And ask as many questions here as needed.

I think there are a pair in Town still, been for sale for probably 4-5 years, stored inside, A/C, climate controlled ALWAYS.

One is white/black, one is black/black, both are low miles, and pretty much mint.

Couple years ago I priced em out, just for giggles, the low one was still over 50K. Dont know the years though.

You could white glove the engines, under carriages, exteriors, etc...these things were perfect.

I dont want a PERFECT car, as it will be a driver...it will be driven in rain, it will be driven long distances when asked to, including to Michigan and back, from Florida. But I do want something that I can wax and detail, and turn some heads at a car show.

The problem I had with my car was that everything that could go wrong cosmetically inside and outside, DID, all at once, at a time in my life when I had no money. I was barely able to afford to put gas in it, very well replace those terribly expensive plastic interior parts, or have the seats recovered.

Even in this time of ill care, the car remained perfectly reliable, I cant complain about it, and this reliability is one of the reasons why I intend to replace it with another C4. With this job, ill have ample money to care for a ZR1. I considered fixing my '85 up like new, and doing some power mods to it, but then it dawned on me that it really isnt smart to put 8K into a car that on its best day would MAYBE bring 5500.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:24 AM
RED-85-Z51
Team Owner

Originally Posted by phrogs
you wouldnt expect alot of repairs for a 50K mile vehicle but if your looking at a 1990 ZR-1 im sorry but the cars are comming up on their 18th birthday.
my first one #354 is 18 years old this month built october 1989.

Im just saying things with need attention like weatherstrip for one I dont care how well it was taken car of some of the WS will need attention.

just be prepared for something but of course Look at the car before you buy it.

I use my ZR1 for a daily driver and it is great fun im not trying to deter you.

It sounds like your on a budget I wouldnt want you to jump into a car that sounds great only to have some expensive problems down the road.

Im not talking drivetrain but interior leaks paint yada yada alot depends on when and where the car has been if its a northern car put away for half the year sure it will be in better shape than one that has been driven everyday and left outside. just food for thought not a bash by any means

I had to do all the weather strip on my current vette, it was expensive, but it was worth it, I imagine ZR1 weatherstrip couldnt be too much more expensive.

The big problems I had with my car were the Dash crystals took a dive from sunlight, and the flimsy interior plastics all cracked when I had a 10 disc hanger installed and they ran the wires. Then the A/C compressor went out, and the guy wanted like 650 to fix it...it was still R12.

I expect to have to spend money to maintain a ZR1, but I would hopw that with only 50K miles, it wouldnt be terrible.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:40 AM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

All C4s are dropping like stones right now - Zs are getting killed just the same. 16-18K is very reasonable - by that I mean you'd be an *** to pay more than that for a 90, no matter what the mileage.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:53 AM
RED-85-Z51
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
All C4s are dropping like stones right now - Zs are getting killed just the same. 16-18K is very reasonable - by that I mean you'd be an *** to pay more than that for a 90, no matter what the mileage.
Well I could probably get a 91, with the updated front end for maybe 21-23 right?

I do really like the Early C4 front end, it looks a little bit meaner, but the LAte C4 frontend looks slicker.

Wasnt 1990 the only year that the black belt line around the outside remained the same as the Early C4's? Then in 1991 they went with the body colored molding?
Old 10-21-2007, 05:55 AM
ckulchar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RED-85-Z51
Well I could probably get a 91, with the updated front end for maybe 21-23 right?

I do really like the Early C4 front end, it looks a little bit meaner, but the LAte C4 frontend looks slicker.

Wasnt 1990 the only year that the black belt line around the outside remained the same as the Early C4's? Then in 1991 they went with the body colored molding?
Yes, yes, and yes.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:44 AM
tomtom72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'19, '21-'22-'23-'24

Default Minority opinion...perhaps

I own a 90 and it's almost box stock. Just the injectors have been traded for RC's.

I would think carefully about buying a "stock" early Z. 375 hp sounds like a lot but you would be better served if you found one that has been done already....it's cheaper by about 1/2 than doing the mods yourself. JMHO....if you use it enough and hang out with other newer vettes that are modded you will eventually come to the conclusion that some work needs to be done so you can stay eye-ball to eye-ball with C5's & C6's. That's the point at which you will discover it would have made more sense to have bought a modded Z in the first place.

Another point to consider is that the later, 93 - 95 cars, are probably more refined and have 405 hp and are alot fewer in number. The extra hp on the later cars is evident at highway speeds when the 93 & up car steps out at say 70+ mph in 6th and you have to down shift your 90 - 92 just to match the accleration rate. It's not like your standing still but the difference is discernable & causes a bit of envey.

Also, allow yourself enough of a budget so you can really get the right Z for you. Your head is in the right place....no loans on toys!

Good luck in your hunt!

Tom

Get notified of new replies

To What's the going price?

Old 10-21-2007, 12:03 PM
RED-85-Z51
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tomtom72
I own a 90 and it's almost box stock. Just the injectors have been traded for RC's.

I would think carefully about buying a "stock" early Z. 375 hp sounds like a lot but you would be better served if you found one that has been done already....it's cheaper by about 1/2 than doing the mods yourself. JMHO....if you use it enough and hang out with other newer vettes that are modded you will eventually come to the conclusion that some work needs to be done so you can stay eye-ball to eye-ball with C5's & C6's. That's the point at which you will discover it would have made more sense to have bought a modded Z in the first place.

Another point to consider is that the later, 93 - 95 cars, are probably more refined and have 405 hp and are alot fewer in number. The extra hp on the later cars is evident at highway speeds when the 93 & up car steps out at say 70+ mph in 6th and you have to down shift your 90 - 92 just to match the accleration rate. It's not like your standing still but the difference is discernable & causes a bit of envey.

Also, allow yourself enough of a budget so you can really get the right Z for you. Your head is in the right place....no loans on toys!

Good luck in your hunt!

Tom

375hp is a considerable jump when to this point in my life, 230hp is all Ive had on tap.

The interstates are heavily patrolled, highway quality is sub par. Only place to safely open it up is the Auto-X course in town, and i nthe next town over is a 1/4 mile strip.

How would a '90 do on an auto-x course?

375 is plenty enough to get me in a world of trouble, and again, the only immediate mods I have planned is a Corsa Exhaust, maybe a Chip at some point.

I dont do alot of aggressive driving, honestly. I do the occasional burnout...but Ive gotten 37K miles out of a set of Kuhmo 712's...
Old 10-21-2007, 05:49 PM
C1ANDZR1
Racer

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
It's comments like this that continue to perpetuate the price slide in the ZR-1 market. You never see the Grand Sport or even Buick Grand National guys poor mouthing about how their cars aren't worth or will never be worth anything. That is probably why a nice '87 GN will bring similar money than a equal mileage '90 Z even though the Z is much more car (I have had 3 '87 low mile GN's, so I know). If we as ZR-1 owners continue to downplay our cars, what does that say to others who are looking to possibly own one of these cars and join this community?

As far as value goes, I don't really care if my car is ever "worth anything one day" or not, I just don't understand why some of the very people who own these cars continue to verbally throw them under the bus every chance they get.

Please don't attack me, its just my opinion.

Jason
Old 10-21-2007, 07:02 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by C1ANDZR1
It's comments like this that continue to perpetuate the price slide in the ZR-1 market. You never see the Grand Sport or even Buick Grand National guys poor mouthing about how their cars aren't worth or will never be worth anything. That is probably why a nice '87 GN will bring similar money than a equal mileage '90 Z even though the Z is much more car (I have had 3 '87 low mile GN's, so I know). If we as ZR-1 owners continue to downplay our cars, what does that say to others who are looking to possibly own one of these cars and join this community?

As far as value goes, I don't really care if my car is ever "worth anything one day" or not, I just don't understand why some of the very people who own these cars continue to verbally throw them under the bus every chance they get.

Please don't attack me, its just my opinion.

Jason
This isn't an attack but when you hear any of us commenting about low/dropping ZR-1 values, we're merely stating the current market values. Do we like it? NO! And we certainly don't want to encourage it. But when you see what ZR-1's are selling for, how can you not notice? And Dwight is helping Red in his quest for a nice ZR-1 by letting him know what current prices are.

Quick Reply: What's the going price?