C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Fellow ZR1 brothers, I need your help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 08:58 PM
djpatrick35
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I actually like the idea of putting the ZR-1 moniker on it. As the people said before, our ZR-1s were the supercars for its time and this one will be the supercar for today.

Besides, if they put ZR-1 on it, maybe they will give the C4 guys (aka the redheaded stepchildren of the Corvette clan) a chance to see the new one up close before everyone else!
Old 10-22-2007, 09:50 PM
lite blue
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

It pissed me off at first.

I'm over it.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:16 PM
ZRWON
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djpatrick35
I ...
Besides, if they put ZR-1 on it, maybe they will give the C4 guys (aka the redheaded stepchildren of the Corvette clan) a chance to see the new one up close before everyone else!
In case you havn't seen what might be the next Gen ZR-1 this link might be it if you believe the rags that published it:
http://news.windingroad.com/wp-galle...2_itemId=14120
When we were in BG a couple weeks ago they had a Blue one on the assembly line but it was completed and out behind the factory on the test track by the time we got out by the assembly line

Last edited by ZRWON; 10-22-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:19 PM
louispf
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phrogs
it was built by GM but then Rebuilt by callaway to withstand the MIGHTY TT POWER they also beefed up the 4+3 transmissions in the 87 and 88s TTs
Don't forget all the work Reeve put into the automatics, which he still says is the real way to really drive these monsters. Zero to 185 without shifting. Just sit back hang on & enjoy the view.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:08 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So here's what I really wonder... In our owner's kit, the first thing on that video is about the '70-72 ZR-1, it gives some info on the packages.

If the new ZR1 has some kind of special owners kit, do you think they will mention the '90s ZR-1 in it? And if it does, do you think it will be flattering or will rip the car? Really I'm curious what those at Corvette currently think about the Corvettes from the past.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:56 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by louispf
Don't forget all the work Reeve put into the automatics, which he still says is the real way to really drive these monsters. Zero to 185 without shifting. Just sit back hang on & enjoy the view.

That's cause we all know he is a girlie man.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:21 PM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tnz5106
Hey Guys, I have been hanging out on the z06 page since a bought a z06 back in the summer. I am in the middle of a heated debate over on that page. These guys over there dont see anything wrong with calling the upcoming 650 hp corvette a zr1. I have tried to explain the best I can, but I need some backing. This is what I said in my last post..

You guys dont get it do you? I know the zr1 was used briefly before in '70 or '71. But it was very rare and unsuccessful. Only corvette purists and fanatics have ever heard of it. The c6 z06 is a continuation of the c5 z06, so I dont see anyone being offended there.
In modern corvette history, or lets say probably 90% of people that know anything about corvettes, the zr1 is this:

1) The only corvette with an engine not built by gm.

2) The only dual overhead cam non pushrod engine EVER in a corvette.

3) The only corvette with an engine that is a total different design than the standard option engine.

4) The only hemi head engine EVER in a gm car(I believe thats correct)

I know there is more than that, but I cant recall them.

The bottom line is this. Twenty years from now, when someone says zr1 I dont want to hear " Which zr1, the one in the '90s or the more recent one. When people hear zr1 now, they remember the dual overhead "king of the hill" beast that turned the euro sports car market on its ears!! Dont any of you get this? Its not like gm is resurrecting the beast, they are putting a sacred emblem on a souped up z06. Hell, why dont they call it zo6 SS or something?

I think I need some help from my buddies on the zr1 page on this. I am not that good with debates. But I will say this, if this is the concensus of feelings on this z06 forum, I think I have finally found a reason to kick the forum habit. Hell, if you guys are that cold and ignorant, I might just sell my z06 and keep my king of the hill.

Please help me!! The thread is titled "top 10 reasons not to buy a z06"
you really need to take some valium, or get help,, there are a lot more things to worry about and get worked up over than this.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:23 PM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tnz5106
Hey Guys, I have been hanging out on the z06 page since a bought a z06 back in the summer. I am in the middle of a heated debate over on that page. These guys over there dont see anything wrong with calling the upcoming 650 hp corvette a zr1. I have tried to explain the best I can, but I need some backing. This is what I said in my last post..

You guys dont get it do you? I know the zr1 was used briefly before in '70 or '71. But it was very rare and unsuccessful. Only corvette purists and fanatics have ever heard of it. The c6 z06 is a continuation of the c5 z06, so I dont see anyone being offended there.
In modern corvette history, or lets say probably 90% of people that know anything about corvettes, the zr1 is this:

1) The only corvette with an engine not built by gm.

2) The only dual overhead cam non pushrod engine EVER in a corvette.

3) The only corvette with an engine that is a total different design than the standard option engine.

4) The only hemi head engine EVER in a gm car(I believe thats correct)

I know there is more than that, but I cant recall them.

The bottom line is this. Twenty years from now, when someone says zr1 I dont want to hear " Which zr1, the one in the '90s or the more recent one. When people hear zr1 now, they remember the dual overhead "king of the hill" beast that turned the euro sports car market on its ears!! Dont any of you get this? Its not like gm is resurrecting the beast, they are putting a sacred emblem on a souped up z06. Hell, why dont they call it zo6 SS or something?

I think I need some help from my buddies on the zr1 page on this. I am not that good with debates. But I will say this, if this is the concensus of feelings on this z06 forum, I think I have finally found a reason to kick the forum habit. Hell, if you guys are that cold and ignorant, I might just sell my z06 and keep my king of the hill.

Please help me!! The thread is titled "top 10 reasons not to buy a z06"
by the way, there is no heated debate as you suggest,, no one cares really , just you for some reason.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:17 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by alanhang
you really need to take some valium, or get help,, there are a lot more things to worry about and get worked up over than this.
Who exactly are you? He is passionate about the King - he has every right to do so! I think some Halcion for you is in order!
Old 10-23-2007, 11:22 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
Who exactly are you?
He is Alan Hang, noob.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:23 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jeffvette
He is Alan Hang, noob.
She Bangs, she bangs, stings like a bee - she grooves, she grooves........
Old 10-23-2007, 11:25 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Give me a shout.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:34 PM
_twisted_
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Give me a shout.
and I though I was F'd up
Old 10-24-2007, 05:17 PM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Who exactly are you? He is passionate about the King - he has every right to do so! I think some Halcion for you is in order!
in case you havent heard, the king is dead, long live the new king,, these things happen.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:28 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by alanhang
in case you havent heard, the king is dead, long live the new king,, these things happen.
You back from idol? Do me a favor n00b, put the computer down, stop messing with your daddy's **** collection, study them books - someday an informed opinion will be your reward! Good luck!
Old 10-24-2007, 10:11 PM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Hemi head vs pentroof

Not that it really matters at this late stage... the combustion chamber in the LT5 is a much better design than a hemi design. Do your homework and you will understand why. Sure, the Hemi head has developed a strong legacy for making power but it has limitations. The development of the Chrylser Hemi took a long time to sort out for drag racing as in lots of problems Even Yamaha gave up after many years of building the 5 valve Genesis motor and returned to the industry standard 4 valve head that looks very similar to our 4 valve LT5 head. 4 valve heads are the $hit!!
Old 11-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Guitarbare
Cruising

Default New ZR1 will revive interest in older ones

Typically when a new car get an Older badge it tends to reveive interest in the older ones and drives the price of the older ones up since not everyone can afford the new one several will buy an older one. After all the ZR1 is and will always be King Of The Hill by it's past History!

As for release date... think about it almost 20 years to the date the first ones were let out to the public... hmmmm I think Chevy has it right here guys. They arre rampng up interest slowly just like thr first time.
Letting it out bit by bit .. this will put the car back in the Limelight

Larry owner 90 ZR1 / 96 GS / 57 C1

Get notified of new replies

To Fellow ZR1 brothers, I need your help!!

Old 11-03-2007, 12:25 PM
belsy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Z06 Zr1 who knows

Who knows???
In this generation the ZR-1 is a faint generic memory except to those who know!! As they say "any press is good press" so us real ZR1 lovers may experience some notoriety from GM's decision to re-use the infamous ZR1 name. Since we can't control it, let's enjoy the new ZR1 hype!!! Now we can say we already have one and "who knows"

King of the Hill still remains'
Gene in Fl.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:16 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

There are bigger things to get worked up over. GM will do as they please and not car about anybody in the past.... as they should always be looking towards the future.

My personal thought is, the ZR-1 was a supercar for the early 90's. The new ZR-1 will be the supercar for it's time. At least they are properly using the name.

I think its a great name. And its used for Corvettes that are meant to be the most powerful and exclusive for their time. I think it helps continue the KOTH legacy.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by louispf

Automatics have their place... however... having a 6 speed to play with beats having automatic imho... and nothing beats a good 1 - 2 shift while over steering through a curve ! yee haw !

Quick Reply: Fellow ZR1 brothers, I need your help!!