C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

question on a "problem" Z

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 11:19 PM
0Don @ Corvette Mike
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question on a "problem" Z

hey guys,

A friend picked up a 1991 Z from a dealer and when the jerks got it they POWERBLASTED the motor(motor was dirty). Right now the car will not go over 4,000 RPM and he has taken it to 1 good Z mechanic & one other shop. They are nickle & diming him to death

Any ideas as to why the car won't go over 4k RPM? Change out the injectors?

thanks

Don

Last edited by Don @ Corvette Mike; 10-25-2007 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:27 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

I'd lean toward spark problems. JMO
Old 10-25-2007, 11:34 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by zr1fred
I'd lean toward spark problems. JMO
Yeah some moisture may have gotten inside the spark plug wiring down inside the cam covers from the power blasted water. Pull the wires and use pressurized air to dry it all out.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:58 PM
BennieC.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did that "1 good Z mechanic" says wrong with it? Did he have a clue what's wrong? Have your friend give me a call at my cell phone. I would love to take a look and diagnose it but I assume he's in SoCal. He can call me after 5 pm or anytime on the weekends.

916-715-4516
Old 10-26-2007, 12:04 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Don @ Corvette Mike
hey guys,

A friend picked up a 1991 Z from a dealer and when the jerks got it they POWERBLASTED the motor(motor was dirty). Right now the car will not go over 4,000 RPM and he has taken it to 1 good Z mechanic & one other shop. They are nickle & diming him to death

Any ideas as to why the car won't go over 4k RPM? Change out the injectors?

thanks

Don
Hmm my guess is the coil packs are probably toast and perhaps the secondary actuator as well as they reside under the plenum. Your plenum valley is probably plugged so all the electrical componets are still well... moist. l I predict you will be a member of the pulling the plenum club soon. Id give the compressed air trick a try as suggested first.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:27 AM
ZRWON
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
Hmm my guess is the coil packs are probably toast and perhaps the secondary actuator as well as they reside under the plenum. Your plenum valley is probably plugged so all the electrical componets are still well... moist. l I predict you will be a member of the pulling the plenum club soon. Id give the compressed air trick a try as suggested first.
Don, Hope the water doesn't also lead to future peoblems with the starter in addition to all the other things mentioned about water under the plenum. I think you should get it to a recomended ZR-1 repair shop ASAP. Try this guy he's excellent and close to you:
Leonhardt Automotive
2950 E. Coronado Unit C
Anaheim, Ca. 92806
714-630-4510
Gary Leonhardt
He has owned ZR-1s personally and is a 1 man Corvette repair shop...been in the business of repairing Corvettes since 1982, & performs general repairs and maintenance, had experience with the common ZR-1 problems like VATS, starter, chain tensioner noise, leaking oil pressure senders, HVAC etc. Don't trust anyone without a proven record of success and training to get near the ZR-1...especially the LT-5 motor!

Last edited by ZRWON; 10-26-2007 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:38 AM
neat
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

A detailer hosed down my LT5 about 5 years ago. After about a week, the starter stopped working from sitting in standing water.

I agree, I think pulling the plenum is in your future.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:38 AM
0Don @ Corvette Mike
Former Vendor

thanks guys,

Bennie's # was passed to my friend Chet (who is Internet challenged)... Thank you so much for your time and effort!!!!!!

Old 10-26-2007, 11:50 AM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
Old 10-26-2007, 03:20 PM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ZRWON
Don, Hope the water doesn't also lead to future peoblems with the starter in addition to all the other things mentioned about water under the plenum. I think you should get it to a recomended ZR-1 repair shop ASAP. Try this guy he's excellent and close to you:
Leonhardt Automotive
2950 E. Coronado Unit C
Anaheim, Ca. 92806
714-630-4510
Gary Leonhardt
He has owned ZR-1s personally and is a 1 man Corvette repair shop...been in the business of repairing Corvettes since 1982, & performs general repairs and maintenance, had experience with the common ZR-1 problems like VATS, starter, chain tensioner noise, leaking oil pressure senders, HVAC etc. Don't trust anyone without a proven record of success and training to get near the ZR-1...especially the LT-5 motor!
If you plan to take it to Leonhardt Automotive give him a call first and make an appointment. I haven't been able to catch him at his shop just driving by.

Greg
Old 10-26-2007, 06:55 PM
turbo-max
Instructor

pulling the plenum is not as bad as some make it out to be, hell, i've pulled one a few times in the same day testing stuffs on my friends car.

Last edited by turbo-max; 10-26-2007 at 06:58 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To question on a "problem" Z

Quick Reply: question on a "problem" Z