C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

ZR1 cosmetic differences?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

to answer the questions, you need new doors, new rear quarters, and new rear cap. to do this bodywork, you essentially approach the price of a zr1

they aren't as expensive as you think, fine examples have dropped to around 15-20k. so you would be money and performance ahead to sell your car and buy the KOTH.

one drive with the lt5 and you won't think twice, plus it's much more cost effective and you get the lt5 to boot.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:45 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by VetBoyZR1
Whenever I spot the ZR-1 badges the first place I look is on the roof for the third brake light. When it's on the rear bumper, I just shake my head.
Catch that? To do it correctly ya gotta change the back glass too. I just look for the fat *** (no, not the driver)
Old 11-20-2007, 03:45 PM
VetBoyZR1
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some people just do it so right it encourages others

See - I could tell right away that wasn't a real ZR-1 because the brake light is not on the roof

Last edited by VetBoyZR1; 11-20-2007 at 03:47 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 12-04-2007, 07:44 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Default That would be a mistake...

Why would you want to?

In the first place, the 94 is a beautiful Vette. And, the LT1 is one heck of a sweet motor - and NO slouch in it's own right! The LT1 has 90 % of it's torque just off idle, and is nearly flat all the way to the rev limiter. There is nowhere on the tac that you can't put your foot into an LT1 and not have an immediate response, in any gear!

I loved my '95 LT1/M6. It and including the 94s are sweet rides and excellent Vettes in their own right. You should be proud of having one.

Now, taking nothing away from the 94 C4, the ZR1 is on another level - far beyond the engine. It is an entirely different animal on soooo many levels it reminds me of those "Bradly" V-dub conversion kits: You took a basic V-dub chassis and dropped this body on it with it's spoilers and ground effects - looked like a formula-one racer. It looked like a 200 mph racer! The problem was, it was a 45hp Volkswagon, and anyone that knew cars knew it was a fake. The same would be true of Vette aficionados. You might fool some people, but you wouldn't fool Vette lovers.

Having said that, the ZR-1's rear end is 3" wider than the standard C4, the lights, etc. are bigger, they all have the middle stoplight over the rear window, the wheels and tires are HUGE, the exhaust tips are different, and that SOUND.... The LT5 has an entirely different sound than the GenII small blocks which you can't fake!

Don't make a "Bradly" out of a beautiful 94 C4. It is a terrific Vette in it's own right. Ya want a Z? Go find one. You will NOT be dissappointed, my friend.

Good luck!

P.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:53 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by VetBoyZR1
Some people just do it so right it encourages others

See - I could tell right away that wasn't a real ZR-1 because the brake light is not on the roof
Old 12-05-2007, 07:26 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Default Same here...

Originally Posted by davewilfong
yeah, i knew i'd get flamed for this post, but i dont care , i'm "thick skinned"

i love the ZR1, however, i dont think i'd ever be able to afford a "real" one
I was so sure I'd not be able to "reach" a Z that I really had very little hope. Then "she" came into view, and the price was right, etc, etc., and Now my dream Vette is mine (5 weeks "old"). You hang in there, and you may stumble onto just what your heart desires - a "Beast" of your own.

But, in the mean time, as I said, that 94 LT1 of yours is no chopped liver either! (Having owned both Vettes, one w/ the LT1/M6 and the (current) LT5/M6, I feel qualified to say that! You can stick your foot into the LT1 anywhere above an idle and all that marvelously flat torque curve is at your command! Because of that, you really don't have to look at the tac before punching it. Need to pass (a "victim")? Pull it down a gear and your off like a bat!

I guess I'm trying to say that if you have your heart set on a Z, then don't give up. But, in the mean time, you have a very nice car there in the 94/LT1 and you should enjoy it too. And, also in the mean time, you can maybe have Lloyd Elliot do your heads, cam, and you install some LT headers, and you'll be there (on paper at least!).

Hang in there!

Quick Reply: ZR1 cosmetic differences?