C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

General ZR-1 question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 02:09 PM
1967 GeeTO
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default General ZR-1 question

I'm thinking about getting into a ZR-1 at some point and am trying to educate myself as much as possible. I've never been in a ZR-1 and can't say I've even seen one in my area in many years. I have, however, spent some time behind the wheel of a 1999 six speed Corvette with the LS1 engine and Z51 suspension. Generally, how does the ZR-1 compare to the 1999 with the six speed?

Thanks,
Sam
Old 01-14-2008, 02:13 PM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Ummmmmmm
Hmmmmmm

IMHO
Faster, Better looking
ZR1 is a rare car
Old 01-14-2008, 02:13 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Different cars with different characteristics. The Z will feel heavier and rev better (and faster). JMO
Old 01-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Default Heart of the Beast...

Originally Posted by 1967 GeeTO
I'm thinking about getting into a ZR-1 at some point and am trying to educate myself as much as possible. I've never been in a ZR-1 and can't say I've even seen one in my area in many years. I have, however, spent some time behind the wheel of a 1999 six speed Corvette with the LS1 engine and Z51 suspension. Generally, how does the ZR-1 compare to the 1999 with the six speed?

Thanks,
Sam
I've owned the LT1/M6 Vette, driven the C5/M6s and the C6/M6. IMO, the ZR-1 was more or less on par with the C6 - more so than the C5 LS1. In fact, my impression of the stock LS1 compared to the stock LT1 was that it was somewhat quicker, but not enough to make me want one bad enough to give up my '95 LT1/M6.

However, one test ride in the Z, and it was all over but the check writing!!! The Zs had 375 to 405 hp (stock) whereas the LS1 Vette was more like 345. However, there is a weight advantage with the C5, and too because of it's wider wheel base and length, there would be some handling differences.

Mods are mods, so I won't go there. However, the ZR-1 is a piece of Corvette history that is likely not to be repeated. It was designed from the ground up as a limited production, purpose-built racer to make a statement to the Europeans sports car manufactures (in particular, according to Chevrolet) and put a stake in the ground for all the world to see. Through a host of speed and endurance records, the ZR-1 more than accomplished that goal - carving out the legend we're speaking of today, and setting a bench mark for others to be measured by to this day.

So, yeah...The Z will not take a back seat to a C5/LS1, if that is your question. You will not be disappointed if you get the Z, I recon!

But, to really understand what the ZR-1 is and why, goto Amazon.com and get the book, "The Heart of the Beast", by Anthony Young. That should help you a lot with your learning curve, and your decision. And, it is a great read too!

Just my biased opinion...

P.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 01-14-2008 at 09:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-14-2008, 03:44 PM
LT5corsa
1994 Admiral Blue ZZZZZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts
Northeast Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

well.....

Drive it and you will understand why we LOVE our Z's.

The C5 is a great car and nothing bad to say @ all about them. Drive both and see what you like more (raw power or quietness / comfort)

Good Luck!
Old 01-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've never been in a ZR-1 and can't say I've even seen one in my area in many years.
What area is that?
Old 01-14-2008, 04:21 PM
djpatrick35
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I've got a '90 ZR-1 and my soon-to-be wife has an '07 Z51 Convertible... While I've never really driven any C5s, I can tell you that my ZR-1 feels like it pulls just as much or more than the 400-horsepower C6. There's much higher revs, etc.

Also, the interior of the Z makes you feel like you're wrapped up in the car whereas you're riding on top of the C6. C4 interiors are smaller, but definitely livable - even for big guys like me (6'6-275 pounds). You won't be disappointed with the ZR-1.

On another note, IMHO, C4 interiors are more attractive than C5 interiors... While I'd much rather have gauges than digital readouts, the C4's plasticky mess is more attractive than the C5's plasticky mess because the C4 has different colors and swoops around like a cockpit. The C5... is a nice instrument panel surrounded by a big fat black piece of melted plastic.

Besides, the ZR-1 was something special. When you go to Corvette shows, Vette guys instantly recognize the car and always ask about it. One of the best questions I always get from other Vette people is, "Is it real?!"

You're damn right it is! You can't really get that from other Vettes.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:12 PM
1967 GeeTO
Navigator

Originally Posted by Aurora40
What area is that?
Jackson, Mississippi

I have purchased and read "The Heart of the Beast." It is a very interesting book. I have also spent a fair amount of time on the ZR-1 Net Registry website and this website. The uniqueness, history and look of the ZR-1 is what is appealing. I have admired these cars for years.

Thanks for the answers, that's what I'm looking for. My family had an 87 C4 convertible years ago, so I'm aware with the dimensions, etc they have. I'm just trying to understand the characteristics/personalities between the C5 and ZR-1. Does the ZR-1 have much low end power? It sounds like it has a little better power than the C5, but not quite the comfort and ride quality.

Need to sell one toy to get the next. Let me know of anyone who is interested in a 1987 turbo Buick with less than 30,000 on the clock.

Thanks again,
Sam
Old 01-14-2008, 06:03 PM
92 ZR1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Jackson, Mississippi

I have purchased and read "The Heart of the Beast." It is a very interesting book. I have also spent a fair amount of time on the ZR-1 Net Registry website and this website. The uniqueness, history and look of the ZR-1 is what is appealing. I have admired these cars for years.

Thanks for the answers, that's what I'm looking for. My family had an 87 C4 convertible years ago, so I'm aware with the dimensions, etc they have. I'm just trying to understand the characteristics/personalities between the C5 and ZR-1. Does the ZR-1 have much low end power? It sounds like it has a little better power than the C5, but not quite the comfort and ride quality.

Need to sell one toy to get the next. Let me know of anyone who is interested in a 1987 turbo Buick with less than 30,000 on the clock.

Thanks again,
Sam
4 of them 90 miles north of you in Louisville, MS.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:32 PM
ZRWON
Melting Slicks

Thanks, Sam
Sam, this response isn't a direct answer to your question but is a link to a site that has more ZR-1info than most people will ever want to know and then some more:
http://www.zr1netregistry.com/
and here's a link to their fourm site
http://www.zr1netregistry.com/forum/index.php?
Hope this helps you...enjoy your research and maybe someday you'll decide to join the KOTH brotherhood.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:46 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by 92 ZR1
And one more in Memphis
Old 01-15-2008, 02:41 PM
1967 GeeTO
Navigator

Originally Posted by 92 ZR1
PM sent.

ZRWON, thanks for the info.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:26 PM
USAFPILOT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I cuurently own a 04 Z06 and a ZR1. Previously I have owned a 98 C5 M6 Coupe. I loved that 98 but it doesn't really compare to the power and performance of the ZR1. The C5 is an easier car to live with than a ZR1. You will have an easier time finding parts and having maintenance done a stock C5. If you are seriously into the performance the ZR1 is a great buy and a joy to drive. I started with a 96 LT4 and ended up really liking the C4 generation vette and wanted the best so I stepped up to the ZR1. If you want ZR1 performance but are hesitant you might opt for a C5 Z06. It will out perform a stock ZR1, but they are a dime a dozen on the road today. From a driving standpoint, you just cant beat the C5 Z06, until you pop the hood on a ZR1 at a car show, or wind it out on te freeway. I still think a stock ZR1 will ultimatey outun a C5 Z06 if you have enough road.

What you need to do is go take a ride in a ZR1. Then go drive the C5 again.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:41 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I was in the market for another Corvette and started looking at all the cars I wanted in the past but couldnt buy at one time or another and decided on an 08 or ZR-1,the Z won out and I dont regret it at all.As far as not seeing one on the road its been maybe 2 years or more since Ive seen one on the road,I might have the only one in town.The car is in a class all its own.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Redline7g
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you drive one your questions will be answered! Nothing else like it!
I've had 2. I bought a 90 with high miles and a low price so i could drive it hard and if I didn't like it, sell it without getting hurt. Loved it, but sold it and bought a 91 with low miles and a lot better condition. I've never heard anyone say they were sorry they ever bought one. The only real critics are people who have never owned one.

What are you looking to get out of the Buick? Is it a Grand National?
Old 01-16-2008, 06:46 PM
1967 GeeTO
Navigator

What are you looking to get out of the Buick? Is it a Grand National?[/QUOTE]

See if this link works: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/car...7-turbo-t.html

I'm negotiable on the price. Let me know if you want more info.

Thanks,
Sam
Old 01-17-2008, 12:14 AM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

These are two completly different cars....

The ZR-1 is a late 80's design....the C5 is mid 90's. You can definitely feel the technology difference going from one to the other.

The ZR-1 is a bit clunky and the C5 is a tight, quiet and smoother ride. I feel that the answer to your question is what you want to do with the car. If you want it for collectibility go with the ZR-1. If you are going for performance go with the C5. Dollar for dollar you can get way more performance out of a modified LS motor then you will ever get out of an LT-5. Although it is a technological marvel for it's time and the higher revs are unique...the LT-5 is expensive to modify and expensive to work on.

I love my ZR-1 and it's uniqueness....but the performance aspect is outdated. (Heck, even stock BMW's have 375 HP and overhead cams!)

Don't flame me....new technology is a great thing, but so is nostalga!

Get notified of new replies

To General ZR-1 question

Quick Reply: General ZR-1 question