C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

ZR1 question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:49 AM
ZO6R1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ZR1 question

I am very close to buying a 90 ZR1 w/7k miles that looks like it just came off the showroom floor)DRK RED/TN .I also have a chance for a 90 callaway tt with lower miles.......The ZR1 is such a great ride but the callaway is so rare....What do you all think, I have never drove a callaway....by the way, am I crazy or does a ZR1 feel faster than a ZO6? ....thank goodness I have a wife that puts up with my car fixation.....Last, what is the market prices for really low mile ZR1's? Thanks, your group seems like a great group of corvette guys.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:05 PM
terryszr1
Racer

hi, welcome here. I have 2 high milage zr1s both 90s one is ported with headers that runs 11.5-70s@123 mph. you arent wrong on them being faster than ac5 z06 at least from a20mph roll . i ahve 3 buddies with stk zo6s and beat them by 2 cars from a roll with the stk red car. with a low milage zr1 ck the airconditioning out ,as well as the injectors to see if they have been replaced . they go bad if sitting that long . as well as the fluids inc brake and clutch to see if they have been replaced regularly as they can mess stuff up.. prices are all over the place . but dont worry about a higher milage unit . i have 148 k on the blk car and 160 on the red car . and both are doing fine . the motors in these cars are bullitproof . hope this helps .
Old 01-25-2008, 12:21 PM
louispf
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain America
I am very close to buying a 90 ZR1 w/7k miles that looks like it just came off the showroom floor)DRK RED/TN .I also have a chance for a 90 callaway tt with lower miles.......The ZR1 is such a great ride but the callaway is so rare....What do you all think, I have never drove a callaway....by the way, am I crazy or does a ZR1 feel faster than a ZO6? ....thank goodness I have a wife that puts up with my car fixation.....Last, what is the market prices for really low mile ZR1's? Thanks, your group seems like a great group of corvette guys.
I would start off with the Z. It is just so different. I just got a 90 stock Z from phrogs. I can't say enough about the restoration he performed on it. He is one awesome Z mechanic & the paint is close to show quality. Love the car,crazy fast. I have owned many Vettes (30+) over the last 35 years & now I'm in love with my Z. My lastest craving is a B2K. I will get there. The wife has given the green light but it will take a couple years. My suggestion is to buy both & get it over with.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:06 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What do you want to do with the car? I think that will make a big difference. Definitely test drive the Callaway though, before you decide.

Personally, if you want a car to drive a lot, or to drive the hell out of, go with the ZR-1. If you want a car to show, to enjoy on weekends, or to be a collectible, go with the Callaway. They are both fast and fun cars, and both have a friendly and helpful owner base. And both will get me drooling when the hood is popped.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:15 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Several years ago, I had the same decision, Callaway or Z. Nothing against the Callaway, but in my opinion, it's not in the same league. I have never regreted choosing the Z, and I've made the choice a couple of times since. Basically, in my mind, the Callaway is a modified C4. The ZR-1 stands apart.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would bet if you are looking at cars with such very low miles that you wont drive either a lot. Take the opportunity to drive them both and see wich one suits your style, they are each great cars.
ZR-1 more stock, higher rpm, 1990 ZR-1 one year styling and the best. Callaway tons of torque, very rare car, loyal following. You cant go wrong with either.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:59 PM
WydGlydJim
Team Owner

Received 296 Likes on 141 Posts

Forum member "SurfnSun" had an '88 Calloway TT; I would definitely get his input. Personally, I like the looks of the Z better, as well as the unbelievable LT-5 mill. The LT-5 was the deal sealer for me.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:41 PM
djpatrick35
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm kind of biased here (as I've got a '90 Z myself) but I'd choose the ZR-1. These motors are VERY dependable, they're pretty rare in their own right and you're going to get instant respect from Corvette guys. That, and you won't have that guilt when you take it for a drive that you might with an low mile Callaway.

Don't get me wrong, Callaways are amazing cars, but unless it's got an Aerobody, I'd go with the ZR-1.

Oh, BTW, if you're comparing the ZR-1 to a C5 Z06... You're not wrong in your assessment that the ZR-1 feels faster. Remember all those magazines comparing the ZR-1 and Z06 back when the C5 Z06 came out? They all said the two cars were neck and neck in quarter mile runs, etc. BUT, the ZR-1 with its 7,000 RPM redline has a MUCH better power band than the Z06's LS6, so from a roll, you're going to be pinned to your seat.

Last edited by djpatrick35; 01-25-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:02 PM
ET-VIPER
Intermediate

We Have 2 Z's And 1 Callaway.

The Z's Are Very Good Cars.one Is Stk Only 3000 Mile The Other Play Toy.will Not Get Rid Of Them.

The Callaway Very Quick Car.once You Hit The Boost You Will Be Hooked.there Is No Other Car Like It.and With The Callaway You Have Factory Help.[ They Support Or Cars Very Will].then There Is The Callaway Owner Group No Better Freinds Than That.

You Will Not Go Wrong With Either One.

Test Drive Both Pick What You Like.

Just Have Fun.

Steve
Old 01-25-2008, 04:02 PM
djpatrick35
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ET-VIPER
We Have 2 Z's And 1 Callaway.
Steve... Will you adopt me?

I thought I was lucky with a Z and a soon-to-be wife with a C6 Z51 Convertible...
Old 01-25-2008, 06:34 PM
ZO6R1
Burning Brakes

I have to admit when I test drove the ZR1 I thought "Holy S@#$...were have I been. I have owned 5 vettes in the past and had no idea these cars are this strong." It kinda made me feel like a corvette dumb a$$. Here I have tons of mags, books and have driven many cars, but never a ZR1. I have learned over the years to buy a car using my "smile per mile meter". I would have to admit it was pegging a (9.5). I am going for the Z...having not driven a callaway, I hope I made the right choice. I hope I am in the right ballpark for price, but then again, what is anything really worth?
Old 01-25-2008, 07:23 PM
threestar40
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default descisions, decisions.

It's a fun decision, you should enjoy the fact that your in a position to make such a decision

I'm a complete turbo head and also a ZR1 owner. That's almost enough said from me, but I digress...

I'll go out on a limb and get a little more colorful and controversial. My wife (who does everything I say) drives a naturally aspirated AMG mercedes everyday, a C55, not a blown E55. I, uh, I mean She could have had either one. Technology marches on and things are getting better without a doubt, but IMO, TURBO'S ARE FOR DIESELS.

There I said it. The pinnacle of automotive performance F1 said it too. Indy cars too for that matter.

I spent about 70 grand building a twin turbo small block vehicle and it still isn't tuned...I know, I know.

If the intoxicating hook of the turbo noise is too much for you to resist, then do what you will...it is a tempting bait without a doubt. I don't know if I could resist it.

Do what makes you happy.

Cheers.

Rick
Old 01-25-2008, 09:29 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Super low mileage 90's are going between $25k-$35k, generally closer to the former. It's a buyers market, but the super low mileage ones tend to transend averages. Some people are more insistant on getting a good deal, rather than the right car. JMO Sometimes I can be happy just putting a lawn chair in the garage, grabbing a beverage and just looking at them. But there is nothing like the distinctive song they sing in full flight!
Old 01-25-2008, 11:46 PM
flyin ryan
Racer

Originally Posted by djpatrick35
I'm kind of biased here (as I've got a '90 Z myself) but I'd choose the ZR-1. These motors are VERY dependable, they're pretty rare in their own right and you're going to get instant respect from Corvette guys. That, and you won't have that guilt when you take it for a drive that you might with an low mile Callaway.

Don't get me wrong, Callaways are amazing cars, but unless it's got an Aerobody, I'd go with the ZR-1.

Oh, BTW, if you're comparing the ZR-1 to a C5 Z06... You're not wrong in your assessment that the ZR-1 feels faster. Remember all those magazines comparing the ZR-1 and Z06 back when the C5 Z06 came out? They all said the two cars were neck and neck in quarter mile runs, etc. BUT, the ZR-1 with its 7,000 RPM redline has a MUCH better power band than the Z06's LS6, so from a roll, you're going to be pinned to your seat.
good post. i'm partial to the Zee's but really you can't go wrong either way.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:22 AM
financialplan
Instructor

Originally Posted by flyin ryan
good post. i'm partial to the Zee's but really you can't go wrong either way.
I really like both cars, but I think the wide body of the Z is a better looking car and maybe a bit more reliable as a package. I have two ZR-1,s and have driven a Callaway a few times, they are both very fast even by todays standards.

In the end I think I would go with ZR-1 first with the Callaway a close second.

I know of a Callaway ZR-1 for sale!! Super natural 475!!
Old 01-26-2008, 12:46 AM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd say the 90's are high 20's to low 30's.

I think the ZR-1 is less maintenance and of course you have the LT-5.

The Callaway is an amazing car and the engine looks awesome. The Callaway is a more collectible car however I feel its higher maintenance.

Talk to SurfnSun (Josh) he loved his car and is going to get another. Also ask him about the costs of ownership, I believe he sunk alot of $ into his car but then again, his car was wicked fast so it all works out in the end.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:59 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Ive always liked the Callaway cars but the ZR-1 does it for me,the look of the car from the rear says it all.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 question

Old 01-26-2008, 08:01 AM
HammerZR1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to admit when I test drove the ZR1 I thought "Holy S@#$...were have I been. I have owned 5 vettes in the past and had no idea these cars are this strong." It kinda made me feel like a corvette dumb a$$. Here I have tons of mags, books and have driven many cars, but never a ZR1. I have learned over the years to buy a car using my "smile per mile meter". I would have to admit it was pegging a (9.5). I am going for the Z...having not driven a callaway, I hope I made the right choice. I hope I am in the right ballpark for price, but then again, what is anything really worth?
Where are you located? What color ZR-1 are you looking at and what kind of pricing. The color combo would more than likely determine the pricing, such as Dark Red Metallic.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:37 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Default Oh, so true....

Originally Posted by zr1fred
But there is nothing like the distinctive song they sing in full flight!
I didn't expect the sound to turn heads like it does. Even if just driving around town, it gets attention. I pulled into a gas station and "woofed" the accelerator before turning the key off, and a crowd gathered before I get out of the door!

I've never driven anything like it. My only regret is waiting so long to get one!!

P.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:21 AM
ZO6R1
Burning Brakes

I agree that the callaways have a great network of owners, and that shows how much the owners love their cars, but are the Callaways more of a weekend vette and the ZR1 is an everday or weekend vette? I want to drive the car as much as I can. I once had a numbers mathing top flight '66 with side pipes, teak s.wheel, ect...and I never drove it. I wouldn't call it a garage queen but more like a trophy car. I have learned from that car that for me the joy is in the driving and not the looking at the car. I know everyone has their thing with cars, whatever works for you and makes you happy go with it, but because the callaway is such a rarer car, I don't see me driving it to work. By the way, I sold that car back in '92 and the only regret I had was the guy that bought it said to me as he was writing the check "It was between this car and the BMW"...I almost called off the deal...the funny thing is I really don't miss the car. The car I miss more is my '89 I drove everyday for 4 years. Great vette with very few prob. that I could fix myself. The car is Drk red Met. over tan. I hope the color grows on me...but who cares about the color when you are driving a ZR1.

Quick Reply: ZR1 question