C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Ncrs Judging Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 06:26 PM
91vettezr1
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Ncrs Judging Question

Hi
Is there a big point deduction for having original GSC'S tires instead of the Goodyear Gatorbacks that came on 90-91 ZR-1'S? I have the NCRS manual but don't really understand the point system. I don't want to be driving on 17 yr old tires and would prefer to leave the GSC'S on for now. I have a n.o.s. set of GATORBACKS for the car. Also I have an original battery for the car but it's dead. Can you just bring it as a spare to show that you have it or does the battery have to work?
thanks
todd
Old 01-27-2008, 07:19 PM
flyin ryan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good questions Todd. anybody?
Old 01-27-2008, 07:32 PM
corvette1989bham
Melting Slicks

There is a tire deduction, amount of points I dont know. A dead battery in or out of the car is worth nothing and a dead battery in the care is worth nothing plus more points for car in/op.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:04 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

I think points will be deducted for the tires. The battery will probably have to be at least installed. Just my opinion. Thanks for the rotors. Wish I could spend the money for the CCWs as well.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:55 PM
rickyrj1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Todd, huge point reduction for not having the original factory air in the tires. It seems to me from speaking with several NCRS guys over the past couple of years, it is pick your poison! You will lose points for condition on a original or correct part. On the other hand gain points for exc. cond. but lose for not being correct. I think that is what I was told. I could be wrong, can we get a NCRS Z brother to help us out here? T, what are your plans if any for your PC'd engine?
Old 01-28-2008, 12:52 PM
fastcw
Instructor

From the Judging Guide:
A. Deduct 10%-OEM brand and size tires which differ from original only because markings or other minor differences.
B. Deduct 20%-OEM brand, type and size tires which differ slightly from original in design construction, material, tread width, tread pattern, style lettering or pattern
C. Deduct 30%--Same as above but substitute "differ considerably" for "differ Slightly"

Looks like 10% or 20% deduction, 30% worst case.

There is a total of 30 points for Originality and 30 points for Condition.

Equal value for each of the 4 tires + spare. So there is a max of 6 + 6 for originality and condition on each tire, and a total of 60 for the category

Say you got the worst case 30% deduct for each tire. That would be a total deduct of 21 for originality, and probably 30 for condition for NOS.

You are losing 9 points. 45 points=1% of total, so 9 points= .2%.

Top Flight is 94%, so there is your choice. Lose .2% with the Gatorbacks. Sounds like a low risk bet to use GSC's, and sell the Gatorbacks to someone who has totally wrong tires.

Any math majors out there? Check my numbers, I'm getting confused.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:55 PM
hiperfman
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Suppliers of dirty oil for 50 years Oilberta/ In Mex enjoying the winter.
Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

91vettezr1 mentions MY 90-91's came with Gatorbacks but when I put Michelin Pilots on my 91 ZR-1 the ones removed were GSC's. Would it make a difference as mine is a Canadian car? Just wondering as I kept the old tires as they were in good shape.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:40 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Yes it matters. GSC's were not available until the 1992 model year.

Gatorbacks are correct for the standards of judging (1989 -1991 model ZR1s
Old 01-29-2008, 12:11 AM
flyin ryan
Racer

Originally Posted by hiperf406
91vettezr1 mentions MY 90-91's came with Gatorbacks but when I put Michelin Pilots on my 91 ZR-1 the ones removed were GSC's. Would it make a difference as mine is a Canadian car? Just wondering as I kept the old tires as they were in good shape.
what year did you aquire your Zee? GS-C's were definatly not a 91 thing as mentioned. i've seen a couple of your posts but i've never seen your car around the area. we should try to hook up sometime . i can get four Zee's, yours would make five. might be a cool picture .
Old 01-30-2008, 05:28 PM
Peter Mahr
Instructor

NCRS can be intimidating but it is meant to be fun. The first time you do it, you will learn a lot so the next time your score can be better. Don’t get too serious the first time and just go for the learning experience.

I just had my car judged in Kissimmee. I have GSC tires with 15,000 miles on them. I am a waxer, not a racer so they look pretty good but not new. I lost 9 points on originality and nothing on condition.

While you are preparing, here are a couple of hints.

1.) Be sure to have a fire extinguisher (loose, any type), a NCRS sticker on one of the windows and a battery cut-off switch of any type. They give you a bonus of 10 points if you have all three.

2.) They oil filter, air filter and fuel filter should all be Delco. Ideally, they are original as shown in the NCRS manual but current replacements are not a killer. I have a blue Delco oil filter that says “Duragard” on it. It was what you get now at auto parts stores. That cost me 2 points on originality.

3.) Driving to the event rather than trailering gives you a bonus of 1% for every 100 miles. If you are close, this will easily push you over the top. Besides, the right thing to do is to drive your car.

4.) Bring all the extra stuff you have. They want to see the box with the coffee table book, cassette, leather portfolio and driving manual, the owner’s manual, the tire bag for covering a flat, the anti-theft lug nuts, the special socket for removing them, the socket for the rear tires, the original style tire pressure gauge and the stock roof removal wrench.

5.) Drop your spare and check the air pressure. It is probably around 10 psi and should be filled. Clean the tire and the jack. Be careful not to tear the plastic bag the holds the jack since they want to see that as well.

6.) Bring a CD and cassette to demonstrate the function on the radio.

7.) When you drop off the car, on Thursday you are not allowed to drive it until released on Saturday after the judging. You are not supposed to start the car on the morning of the judging until you are instructed to do so. I suggest that you disconnect your battery after you shut the car down on Thursday. I didn’t do this and my battery was dead from all the interior lights that were burning while I prepared the car on Friday and was judged on Saturday. Fortunately, the car started after a brief rest so I only lost 10 points. Next time I will bring a booster pack as a backup. Using that would also have cost 10 points but not starting the car would be much worse.

8.) The battery should be a Delco current replacement. I have that and lost 10 points out of 35 available. You should check the NCRS manual carefully to see if the dead one you have is correct. If so, I think you can get them rebuilt but I do not know who does this. I bet it is not real cheap. If you don’t want to fool with that, I would be interested in buying your dead original.

I hope this helps. My car is driven regularly and has 40,000 miles on it. I got a 97.3% score (minus 121 points out of 4500 possible) before driving points which is a solid “Top Flight”. I learned a lot and, once it was over, enjoyed having done it.

Let us know how you do.

Last edited by Peter Mahr; 01-30-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:25 PM
55bluevette
Advanced

I had my 90Z judged at the Charlotte Regional, and I agree with what Peter said about the preparation for the judging. I would like to add a few things to it. I received a 99.1 % score, and lost 2 points for the service replacement black "Duragard" oil filter, and 10 points for the service replacement battery (out of a possible 20 points). I had my original tires and wheels on the car, and didn't lose any points for them. The rest of the points that I lost were for cleaniness, slight amount of rust, CD player, and other minor items. I trailered my car there, as it only had 700 miles on it, and I didn't want to put the 1400 miles on it. The driving mileage points are good to increase the flight judging score, but can't be used to reach the 97% threshold qualification for McLellan Mark Of excellance Award. I would also check the battery to make sure it is in excellent operating condition. I lost 4 points for the Cd player not operating properly, due to a low battery. After the Regional I could not get the radio to fail when the battery was charged up. I bought a new battery for the Performance Verification at the Texas Regional, and it worked perfectly. I also bought a new set of tires and wheels for the PV.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Peter Mahr
Instructor

I think I saw 55bluevette's car in Charlotte last summer. Is it black/black? If so, it is perfect! A scope of 99.1 is as close to 100 as a mortal is allowed to get.

Having a 700 mile car is great but certainly doesn't allow you the option of driving. If you drive it up on the trailer and then roll it backwards to unload it, is that zero miles?
Old 01-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Mahr
NCRS can be intimidating but it is meant to be fun. The first time you do it, you will learn a lot so the next time your score can be better. Don’t get too serious the first time and just go for the learning experience.

I just had my car judged in Kissimmee. I have GSC tires with 15,000 miles on them. I am a waxer, not a racer so they look pretty good but not new. I lost 9 points on originality and nothing on condition.

While you are preparing, here are a couple of hints.

1.) Be sure to have a fire extinguisher (loose, any type), a NCRS sticker on one of the windows and a battery cut-off switch of any type. They give you a bonus of 10 points if you have all three.

2.) They oil filter, air filter and fuel filter should all be Delco. Ideally, they are original as shown in the NCRS manual but current replacements are not a killer. I have a blue Delco oil filter that says “Duragard” on it. It was what you get now at auto parts stores. That cost me 2 points on originality.

3.) Driving to the event rather than trailering gives you a bonus of 1% for every 100 miles. If you are close, this will easily push you over the top. Besides, the right thing to do is to drive your car.

4.) Bring all the extra stuff you have. They want to see the box with the coffee table book, cassette, leather portfolio and driving manual, the owner’s manual, the tire bag for covering a flat, the anti-theft lug nuts, the special socket for removing them, the socket for the rear tires, the original style tire pressure gauge and the stock roof removal wrench.

5.) Drop your spare and check the air pressure. It is probably around 10 psi and should be filled. Clean the tire and the jack. Be careful not to tear the plastic bag the holds the jack since they want to see that as well.

6.) Bring a CD and cassette to demonstrate the function on the radio.

7.) When you drop off the car, on Thursday you are not allowed to drive it until released on Saturday after the judging. You are not supposed to start the car on the morning of the judging until you are instructed to do so. I suggest that you disconnect your battery after you shut the car down on Thursday. I didn’t do this and my battery was dead from all the interior lights that were burning while I prepared the car on Friday and was judged on Saturday. Fortunately, the car started after a brief rest so I only lost 10 points. Next time I will bring a booster pack as a backup. Using that would also have cost 10 points but not starting the car would be much worse.

8.) The battery should be a Delco current replacement. I have that and lost 10 points out of 35 available. You should check the NCRS manual carefully to see if the dead one you have is correct. If so, I think you can get them rebuilt but I do not know who does this. I bet it is not real cheap. If you don’t want to fool with that, I would be interested in buying your dead original.

I hope this helps. My car is driven regularly and has 40,000 miles on it. I got a 97.3% score (minus 121 points out of 4500 possible) before driving points which is a solid “Top Flight”. I learned a lot and, once it was over, enjoyed having done it.

Let us know how you do.

Bless NCRS folks like this. I just do not have the energy or the desire to go through that greuling. I guess if I had an ultra low mileage car I might consider it but it sounds like a PITB to me
Old 01-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Peter Mahr
Instructor

It can be a PITA but is a good excuse to fix a bunch of small things before the event. I also wish I had a 700 mile car but do enjoy driving mine.

Wouldn't it be great to get a "Top Flight" after driving it to 100,000 miles? I'll buy a beer for the first ZR-1 that does that!

Get notified of new replies

To Ncrs Judging Question

Quick Reply: Ncrs Judging Question