C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Should The Vacum Line coming from the Secondary MAP Sensor Have Vacum--if so,

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 12:41 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,270 Likes on 2,031 Posts

You need I believe an EC1618 from an Oreilly interchange!

Here's a link with the interchange notes!

http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/Displ...ycleCount=1313
Old 04-20-2008, 12:53 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

yup...I called them, I got the wrong part.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:28 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Well, I have the correct part coming in the morning. How many of you think this will fix the problem? Dwight is the only one who has had this occur and the sensor was a problem?
Old 04-20-2008, 04:31 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,270 Likes on 2,031 Posts

I'd like to think you have!

You've confirmed likely with the substitution of the incorrect part that probably the connections to the parts and ECM are not disorientated or loose by setting a code. I would be tempted to reinstall the one removed, clear the codes and try the thing again!

Good Luck!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-21-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:05 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by LowFlight
Well, I have the correct part coming in the morning. How many of you think this will fix the problem? Dwight is the only one who has had this occur and the sensor was a problem?
I didn't have the problem you have - I suspected it was the sensor, changed the sensor - no change, replaced the original part, found the correct problem, solved it.

Sometimes these sensors get oil in them etc. I hope replacing it will solve your issue. It is really hard to diagnose over the internet, as I'm guessing you're discovering.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:06 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by WVZR1
I'd like to think you have!

You've confirmed likely with the sustitution of the incorrect part that probably the connections to the parts and ECM are not disorientated or loose by setting a code. I would be tempted to reinstall the one removed, clear the codes and try the thing again!

Good Luck!
Yes - do this - likely solve the problem.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:13 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
Yes - do this - likely solve the problem.

I put the original back on....it went back to what it was doing before. NORMAL power 100% ok. With the key on, it stumbles and then when you bust on it...it falls on its face and knocks like crazy. no ses light.

DDSLT5...what part did you have to replace if it wasn't the sensor?
Old 04-20-2008, 05:15 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Can I do something to clean the connector prongs before I plug them in? Maybe some brake fluid got in there?
Old 04-20-2008, 08:17 PM
lbs90ZR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can I do something to clean the connector prongs before I plug them in? Maybe some brake fluid got in there?

I use LPS electro contact cleaner, it lists on it that it's safe on plastics cause some other cleaners will crack or melt plastic as your watching it clean. Found that out on a cell phone. Also call me paranoid but I would unplug the the ecm first to avoid any possibility of electo static damage.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:24 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by lbs90ZR
I would unplug the the ecm first to avoid any possibility of electo static damage.
That is what I am wondering..the MDP is the only thing not brake related that I touched. I think I may have somehow caused a surge or zap to fry it...because I unplugged it without disconnecting the battery.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:49 PM
lbs90ZR
Racer

That is what I am wondering..the MDP is the only thing not brake related that I touched. I think I may have somehow caused a surge or zap to fry it...because I unplugged it without disconnecting the battery.
If the key was off I doubt if that would of happened, the sensor is not as sensitve to static damage as the ecm.

Don't try it, cause I don't know, but the map and mdp probably have the same resistance values, but if their static sensitive then you would have a lot of damaged sensors from the multimeter. Would be interesting to know though.

Actually I have a spare used map, I'll see what it is cause I kinda doubt if it will hurt it, in case you want to compare it to your old MDP since you have a new one on the way. Probably would have to put vaccum to it and run through the range to see if it''s really working right though.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:55 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

If the key was off I doubt if that would of happened, the sensor is not as sensitve to static damage as the ecm.

Don't try it, cause I don't know, but the map and mdp probably have the same resistance values, but if their static sensitive then you would have a lot of damaged sensors from the multimeter. Would be interesting to know though.

Actually I have a spare used map, I'll see what it is cause I kinda doubt if it will hurt it, in case you want to compare it to your old MDP since you have a new one on the way. Probably would have to put vaccum to it and run through the range to see if it''s really working right though.

I appreciate the options. It is only $35, if the sensor works tomorrow, I don't care about the why as much as the I just want to drive my freakin car and have it be dependable. It seems that 1/2 the time would be a high water mark for me
Old 04-20-2008, 09:11 PM
lbs90ZR
Racer

I don't care about the why as much as the I just want to drive my freakin car and have it be dependable. It seems that 1/2 the time would be a high water mark for me

I know what your sayin, guess I'm bored, anyway it came up with two readings depending on which pins and there not marked on sensor, so would have to dig deeper to get right pins, oh well.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:29 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

I know what your sayin, guess I'm bored, anyway it came up with two readings depending on which pins and there not marked on sensor, so would have to dig deeper to get right pins, oh well.
I had been told that it is difficult to test. Lets just hope that $35 and 5 minutes of work will fix this problem....otherwise it will be much much more needless hassle, time MONEY and stress
Old 04-21-2008, 01:26 AM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

I put the original back on....it went back to what it was doing before. NORMAL power 100% ok. With the key on, it stumbles and then when you bust on it...it falls on its face and knocks like crazy. no ses light.

DDSLT5...what part did you have to replace if it wasn't the sensor?
My problem was totally different from yours, and unrelated, so I don't want to take you down the wrong path.

It is definitely secondary related. Does it fall on its face at low rpms too? If it is knocking, it is horribly lean, meaning very little fuel injected, and also meaning that the secondaries must be opening to let in extra air. The question is - why would the fuel not be flowing? It amazes me that you're getting such a huge drivability issue, yet no SES light.

I'm gonna sleep on this problem. I need time to let it percolate!
Old 04-21-2008, 07:46 AM
LowFlight
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
My problem was totally different from yours, and unrelated, so I don't want to take you down the wrong path.

It is definitely secondary related. Does it fall on its face at low rpms too? If it is knocking, it is horribly lean, meaning very little fuel injected, and also meaning that the secondaries must be opening to let in extra air. The question is - why would the fuel not be flowing? It amazes me that you're getting such a huge drivability issue, yet no SES light.

I'm gonna sleep on this problem. I need time to let it percolate!

If you were in the car accelerating up to 65mph, as soon as you hit the throttle at above average you get an initial hesitation, then it does ok up to about 4000 rpm...then it loses power and knocks. If you give it more throttle AT THAT POINT, it knocks more and loses power AS you push harder. The good news is, it does NONE of this in NORMAL power, so it isn't spark plugs or wires etc...it is isolated to the secondary system.

Can a vacuum line pulled loose cause this? If it were an injector, at least we know it would be a secondary one. I am just brainstorming is the MDP sensor doesn't help. THough the manual says it can cause these kinds of problems.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

LowFlight,

I just got my car on the road after finishing up a P&P. First drive out and I got an SES light. It would go on and off depending on TPS position. The calibration has a high TPS% for enabling Secondary Injectors. So as long as your below that, very likely for normal cruise, you won't get SES. Once you pass that point, code will set. Althought the car ran well, it was flat. Yours is knocking due to lean condition since secondaries aren't being turned on once you go past TPS% for Scdy. My problem was an unplugged vacuum line under the ECM to the Diff MAP sensor. Plugged it in, problem solved.

Get notified of new replies

To Should The Vacum Line coming from the Secondary MAP Sensor Have Vacum--if so,

Old 04-21-2008, 10:06 AM
LowFlight
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
LowFlight,

I just got my car on the road after finishing up a P&P. First drive out and I got an SES light. It would go on and off depending on TPS position. The calibration has a high TPS% for enabling Secondary Injectors. So as long as your below that, very likely for normal cruise, you won't get SES. Once you pass that point, code will set. Althought the car ran well, it was flat. Yours is knocking due to lean condition since secondaries aren't being turned on once you go past TPS% for Scdy. My problem was an unplugged vacuum line under the ECM to the Diff MAP sensor. Plugged it in, problem solved.
That is the plug that I unplugged to move the ecm out of the way. I am replacing that sensor today and we will see. Although I did not pull on it in any way, my second guess (and it is a guess since I haven't much help on this and know next to nothing about engines) is that I may have pulled it loose from the underplenum side wherever it connects. From your post, it looks like I am in the right area. Sensor, or vacuum line
Old 04-21-2008, 11:19 AM
ShawnZR-1
Race Director

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'10-'11-'12

I'm going to join the camp that it is the sensor. My friend had some weird issues with his for a while before it actually set an SES light and code. Replaced the sensor and all was well.

You'd be amazed at what an intermittent connection can do in a system like this!
Old 04-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

That is the plug that I unplugged to move the ecm out of the way. I am replacing that sensor today and we will see. Although I did not pull on it in any way, my second guess (and it is a guess since I haven't much help on this and know next to nothing about engines) is that I may have pulled it loose from the underplenum side wherever it connects. From your post, it looks like I am in the right area. Sensor, or vacuum line

LF,

One way to check the sensor would be to apply vacuum using something like a MightyVac to the MAP sensor. You can use jumpers on the 5V Reference Signal and MAP Sensor Signal wires between the sensor and its male harness connector. When you apply vacuum, you should see voltage change with a connected DVM. Scantool would be nice to have also then you would just need to apply vacuum.
If you see V change, then its a vacuum problem.
To check that you could connect Mighty Vac to vacuum line T'd to a vacuum gauge. If it holds vacuum, line is ok.

Quick Reply: Should The Vacum Line coming from the Secondary MAP Sensor Have Vacum--if so,