C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 02:59 PM
BackInBlack96
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheels

Hey guys, I have a question and seek your opinion.

I have a chance to pick up a set of sawblades for my 96 for $500. There is a bit of corrosion on the inside, but I don't think it's too bad. The wheels on my car now look like they have come in contact with a curb a time or two. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics.

Is $500 reasonable? How difficult is it to deal with the corrosion? Anything else I should look for in these wheels?

New wheels are not at the top of my list of things to do but it's eventually going to be needed, but if this is a good deal I will grab them.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Agreed. Are these off a 91-93 ZR-1 or are they regular sawblades? I ask because they will stick outside your rear fenders if they are.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:11 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The saw blades are not really in demand unless they are ZR-1 which would not look good unless you own a ZR-1.

I think they are a dime a dozen, I think I have 6 in storage. Corrosion in the barrel can eventually go outside the barrel. However, lots of times, you can sand down the inside of the barrel and respray. As a matter of fact, lots of guys paint the inside of the barrel to keep brake dust off the chrome barrel.

I think If I paid $500, I would want them to look pretty nice. Not show condition or new because that would be $1,000 +.

Also, unless you are looking for the sawblade look, there are a ton of wheel manufacturers where you can get sweet rims. I know of one wheel manufacturer that is awesome and you can get 5 spokes for like $500 brand new. I am probably going buy a set from them myself and I have a bunch of factory rims, GM rims, etc.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:31 AM
BackInBlack96
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for responding, I really appreciate it. They are regular sawblades. If $500 for the 4 of them is steep then I will keep looking. They do look pretty nice, most of the corrosion is inside the barrel IIRC.

I do like the sawblade look, but then again I really haven't been looking at replacing my wheels quite yet so I am not sure what all is out there. I just stumbled onto these beauties and I figured that if the price was right then the time was right.

I am sorry this is in the ZR-1 forum, I was in a hurry when I posted and thought I was in the general discussion forum.

Last edited by BackInBlack96; 03-01-2010 at 03:33 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheels

Quick Reply: Wheels