C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Dumb mistake

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 01:55 AM
captcorvette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dumb mistake

Ok folks after 10 years of looking I found a ZR1. Had a right front meeting with a lightpole but that repair wasn't a big deal as I have been playing with vettes for a while. Was enjoying this car too much. Several days after being spoiled by this car the starter stopped working. No indications just wouldn't even make a clicking noise. Did all the usual checks, battery, charge, terminals, wires, connections etc.. All looked correct. Checked all fuses etc., looked normal and correct. Called a wrecker truck to take it to my home shop. Wrecker driver decided to load the car rearend first. He needed to turn the steering wheel so on goes the ignition switch. Then he starts pulling it backwards up the loading ramp. Car was in 6th gear, with key on. Just as I returned with my daily driver I see the car belch a puff of smoke from under the hood. On looking I observed all the above had happened. Not very happy with the break down service people and told them. Have not touched the car and that was two weeks ago. Am cool enough now to start into it. Any suggestions? Bent valves & bad starter?
Old 03-02-2010, 02:42 AM
timbradley26
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first off you need to confront the tow company about the damage they may have caused by using a wicn to pull a car that is in gear up a ramp onto a flat bed (if i am reading you right ). i have neevr heard of a tow company that did this sort of inept thing . usually thay have a dolly that they can put under the wheels so there wont be any damage to the car . as far as the starter is concerned it could be something as simple as the vats system being activated or the clutch safty swith either going out or losing its adjustment. but it could also have gone out but its an easy fix.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:02 AM
abc 123
Burning Brakes

Are you both off your lithium?
Old 03-02-2010, 03:10 AM
captcorvette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

i live overseas and the recovery over here is inept at best. Checked clutch switch, was good. My partial fault on recovery as I had to leave via taxi and get to work. Found buba working to put car on ramp when I returned. Stupidity was as stated partially mine but when work calls and the car is stopped on a major highway? Stupid things occur. VATS? Nothing came up on scanner but my scanner is old. Chinese and a knock off. Only thing available here at the time. How would I be on lithium? Don't think I have ever been on lithium. Only reference to lithium I am aware of is like in the batteries? However am always open to learning, suggestions and new information----on anything.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:25 AM
bad-zr1
Racer

I can only tell you what I would do if it was mine. Since the engine is cold pull all the plugs out. They are easy to get to except number 8 will require some universals to remove. Once they are out try starting it with the key. My bet is it will now turn over as the starter has cooled down. If all sounds well when you spin it over now would be a good time for a compression check of all cylinders. If they all read good you are probably OK. This would eliminate any bent valves. Check all your vacuum hoses especially the one at the rear of the plenum. Reinstall all plugs and start your engine listening for any abnormal sounds and watching your oil pressure.
I think you will be OK.
When he pulled it backwards with it in gear and the key on the engine attempted to start but in reverse rotation so it backfired through the intake. That is why it could have blown some hoses off. Hopefully you will have no damage to the engine.
You are probably going to be joining the "plenum pulling" club soon to fix your starter. There are some good posts to check when that time comes.
Never leave your ZR1 in the hands of a stranger again.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:49 AM
captcorvette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Sage advice and I will try it. Especially the bit about not letting anyone else put fingerprints on my toy without me being there. I just received the complete manual including the engine suplement. So will do some reading first. Then try your suggestions to the letter. Not so sure about the starter as I did give the car ample time for the starter to cool down and still nada so at that point called the recovery. I am by no means an expert but can read and follow directions. But still think I must be missing something on this lithium thing? Have done some quick research on lithium without any luck?
Old 03-02-2010, 11:09 AM
solid dobe
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by captcorvette
Sage advice and I will try it. Especially the bit about not letting anyone else put fingerprints on my toy without me being there. I just received the complete manual including the engine suplement. So will do some reading first.
Both good ideas.

........................................ ........................................ ........................... I am by no means an expert but can read and follow directions.
You will be fine then....check in with your progress, you will be both enlightened and entertained.

But still think I must be missing something on this lithium thing? Have done some quick research on lithium without any luck?
Forget the lithium, it is getting lost in translation . Just educate yourself here at CF.....the zr1netregistry .... and the manuals, then dig in. Personally, I would follow timbradley26's advice below....and check the easy stuff first.

Originally Posted by timbradley26
........................................ ........................................ ........................................ ......
. as far as the starter is concerned it could be something as simple as the vats system being activated or the clutch safty swith either going out or losing its adjustment. but it could also have gone out but its an easy fix.

What about a little more background on the car and it's treatment before you got it? Do you know much of it's history? What # car is it?

Old 03-02-2010, 12:03 PM
captcorvette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I think the car came from Florida. A Swiss man bought it and brought it over to Dubai where I live. Do not know anything else about the car. Will get the VIN number when I get to my office tomorrow morning. It is 9pm now. Time for me to hit the hay. Normal get up for me is 4am.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:00 PM
timbradley26
Instructor

on the vats .does the starter run when you turn the key ?if not try it again watching your volts gauge does it go down when you get to the start position ?if it doesnt its the clutch safety switch. also if you have a spare key try it as that little pellit on your ignition key can go bad causing the vats to not let the car start. if its not one of the above things then most likely you have a bad starter . on the lithium just some poor fellow trying to be a smat ****. pay no atten to him heck he most likely doesnt know what a wrench is
Old 03-02-2010, 02:51 PM
95ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Someone get water under the plenum and fry the starter?
Make sure you are getting volts to the starter.

Last edited by 95ZR1; 03-02-2010 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Wanted 2
Old 03-02-2010, 03:06 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Lots of no start discussions like yours

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-z...car-start.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-z...-no-start.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-z...art-again.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-z...art-again.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-z...ont-start.html
Old 03-02-2010, 03:14 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

It sounds like a vats issue to me, check and see if the security light flashes when you try to start it.

check those other threads as well and it should point you in the right direction as well.

It could be a low battery, a dead starter or the vats.

vats is frustrating to say the least!

anyway good luck with it

johnny
Old 03-02-2010, 04:43 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Check at the rear of the plenum at the MAP sensor, the backfire probably blew off the hose. Clean the oil residue off and reconnect it - you should be good to go.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:52 PM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by gbrtng
Check at the rear of the plenum at the MAP sensor, the backfire probably blew off the hose. Clean the oil residue off and reconnect it - you should be good to go.
Touche !
Old 03-02-2010, 07:44 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would a valve bend or anything else internal from that? Wouldn't it just rotate the engine the wrong way? All the valvetrain stuff is still connected and synched the same as when it rotates the proper direction. It just would pump air the other way.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Spartan1510
Instructor

I worked through college driving a tow truck. What you're describing is pure negligence and I'm sure the wrecker driver will have a different "story" in an effort to protect their job or company.

Arguments will not get you very far. Hire an attorney now and pay them to begin with a written notification of negligence and your expectation for them to cover all repair expenses. The attorney will get more attention than you ever will and timliness of notification is critical. Even if it turns out to be nothing, the small cost of a few letters or calls is an insurance policy in case any serious damage is uncovered.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Aurora40
Maybe I'm missing something, but why would a valve bend or anything else internal from that? Wouldn't it just rotate the engine the wrong way? All the valvetrain stuff is still connected and synched the same as when it rotates the proper direction. It just would pump air the other way.

don't think you have any bent valves. pulling it backwards in gear certainly isn't the brightest move though

unfortunately, quite a few z's get damaged in the hands of the great unwashed

search the no start threads, lots of possibilities, pretty ez most times to cure.

check the clutch switch, common failure, VATS, corrosion on the starter, bad starter, first make sure the battery is solid and connections clean

if you don't have a factory service manual, you'll need one, great trouble shooting charts

good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Dumb mistake

Old 03-03-2010, 12:56 AM
captcorvette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

The VIN # on my toy is: 1G1YZ23J9L5800708 So far all my request for information has come up blank. But this happens a lot when people realize where my ISP is located. For some reason this ISP gets blocked a lot? Would apprecitate any/all information. Thank you.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:02 AM
captcorvette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I did call the breakdown service to lodge a formal complaint. The company said they wondered why the driver came back and promptly quit. Unfortunately he was a temporary hire so they don't have too much information and the drivers are "sub contract" employees. Meaning? They could care less and have even less respondsibility. We will see how the local insurance companies and other car clubs feel about this matter. But it will still need to be me to repair the car and even the dealerships over here are afraid of doing any work on this car.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Spartan1510
Instructor

Your "contractual and legal relationship" is with the company, not the driver. However they employ or contract the driver is their issue.

Seriously though. I am not a lawyer. But I am a businessman who loves cars, and these cars are not inexpensive by any means. Consider the engagement of an attorney and notification as an insurance move just in case any repair does become very expensive.

I sincerely hope there is no damage and the car is fine. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Dumb mistake