C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

92 dark red 88k $14k dallas

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 11:07 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,194 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

This is why I love the forum and Vette owners. Always willing to help each other out. If you can swing by and take a look at it today that would be great as you could then give me your opinion tomorrow when we meet up.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:26 AM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteMed
Great offer! No better way to know what to expect, than to see and drive one that's running as it should be.
I agree. I have worked on this car since I got it last year around May. I had a 95 ZR-1 that ran great, so I knew what to look for. I have replaced the clutch, flywheel (done by Automasters of BWG), coil packs, starter, injection, plugs, tires (Goodyear F1's) and just got some 5 spokes to replace the sawblades, secondaries work great! I had to fix the the targa top on the first day that I had it because the interior was coming apart.

I have also got rid of the aftermarket alarm that was preventing me from starting the car and the lame sat radio that was in it. Ken Anderson fixed the radio and I got new amps. so the sound is great! I don't race it but I do drive it. I have seen other Z's at The Gathering, so I have an idea or two about the car.

A few years ago, a guy bought a 92 Z just for the heck of it and it had issues. No secondaries for a start. I let him drive my 95 Z and he was blown away when the secondaries kick in. he could see what he had and what it should be. If more guys would do that, I think that we would help the image instead of someone getting a bad car and not knowing the real car as it should be. It is a great car!
Old 11-05-2010, 03:17 PM
WydGlydJim
Team Owner

Received 296 Likes on 141 Posts

This car is a steal........better hurry!
Old 11-06-2010, 09:43 PM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Not too bad

We went over and looked at the car today. There are some issues as was previously mentioned. It does have the original windshield but all documentation is gone. It is currently out of inspection and some problems but nothing that can't be overcome. The dealer and the sales staff really don't know anything about the car other than they want to sell it and try to make some money off of it. I had a good time driving and letting LT4 drive a ZR-1 that was tight. Hell of a difference between the two cars. This thing squeak and rattled and mine doesn't.

Good time had by all.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:05 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Definitely appreciated your help and hanging out today. I've got a little under 3 days left on the Ebay auction on my Firehawk, so as soon as that gets sold, I'll get really serious about getting something. This looks like it might be a good candidate, I'll probably talk to the dealer again Monday and see if they'll come off the price a little more. If so, I may go ahead and put a deposit on it.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

This looks like a nice car at that price.While I dont like red I do like the metallic red on these cars.If you can get that car for $12,500 or a touch lower Id go for it.If you do buy this car make sure they have the rear license plate holder.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:46 PM
MR.LT1
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JetJock
I have a 92 ZR-1 and if you want to look and drive it, it's okay by me. It's better to have a yardstick to look at because you really to look at one that is running good to make a comparison. I am over in Grapevine near DFW airport. I have the time right now, so it would be fun. I can show you stuff that you would need to know about the car since I work on my own baby. Let me know. It's black with about 87k on it.
Jetjock is the man.. Back when I had my 93 ruby he gave me plenty of advice when I needed it.......
Old 11-07-2010, 12:51 PM
MR.LT1
Drifting

Originally Posted by LT4Firehawk
Definitely appreciated your help and hanging out today. I've got a little under 3 days left on the Ebay auction on my Firehawk, so as soon as that gets sold, I'll get really serious about getting something. This looks like it might be a good candidate, I'll probably talk to the dealer again Monday and see if they'll come off the price a little more. If so, I may go ahead and put a deposit on it.
Keep us posted!
Old 11-07-2010, 01:20 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Doesn't have the rear license plate frame. Here's the full list of everything we could find wrong with the car:
Glass top had been dropped, and is cracked clear through.
Windshield is not a ZR-1 unit.
Weather stripping on body and painted roof needs to be replaced.
Radio and at least one amp need to be repaired (or replaced).
Passenger seat motor needs to be fixed.
Fuel line bracket on passenger side of motor is broken.
Only 1 set of keys.
No manual.
No license plate frame, and license plate bracket is broken in one corner.
Reverse light don't work.
Oil film on bottom of oil pan, may indicate slow oil leak.
Brakes need to be completely flushed.
Clutch will need to be replaced in the near future.
Carfax shows an emissions test failure in May of this year, and it doesn't have current inspection sticker. Jetjock believes this probably means the injectors needs to be replaced.

Overall we both agree that the exterior is probably a 7-7.5, and the interior is probably an 8. Other than the issues listed above, the car runs good, and drives well, although it feels like there may be some suspension bushings that need replacing. Given the list above, I'd like to get them down to $11,5-$12K.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:44 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Just the things mentioned and exclusive of the paint and interior would come to over $3000, if you do the work yourself. Unless he catches someone off EBAY, or a bluebird flies in the window, he's going to have trouble selling that car over $10 or $11k in this market (and that's plus tax). In Arizona, a dealer has to guarantee the car to pass emissions, I don't know about Texas. I'm not saying it's a bad car or a bad deal, I'm just presenting some numbers. Except for the limited production run, it's basically the same car as a 91.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:52 PM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default It's a diamond in the rough

I totally agree with Evan on the car except for one thing: it does have the Koolof windshield and it has the cutout. I looked for the logo on the bottom right of the windshield and it was there and I saw the cutout.

I don't know about Texas in regard to the law and emissions but I do believe that they can't sell the car like that. I could be wrong but I think Evan can make a hard case for them since it sat there for three months. Injectors aren't that hard to replace in a LT5 motor.

There might be more to the car but we discovered a lot from the carfax and the documents that were left in the car. Like when he bought the last set of tires and how little it had been driven in the last five years or so by the owner and the last time it was registried. She needs help. that much is for sure, and I don't think that anyone there can work on her, especially on LT5 specific items. Runs like a bat out of hell, just like a Z would.

There are some differences between the 91 and 92. ASR for one. More data in the cockpit for temp, electric, etc. Better gauges. I have a 91 coupe and a 92 Z, so I get to see both sides of the coin. I like the 92 better.

Last edited by JetJock; 11-07-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:42 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

I forgot to check the windshield again, glad you caught that. I had it on my list from the first time I looked it to check, but completely forgot. That's why it's nice to have a second set of eyes looking at it.

FYI, I just found a post that states for 2008 in Texas they changed the laws and all used cars sold at dealers are required to have new plates and a valid inspection. So they are going to have to fix the emissions (injectors?) before any sale is completed.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:55 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

You need to check with Texas DMV on the emissions. In Arizona, if you buy a car and it doesn't pass emission inspection (subdsequantly fails before you register) you can make them fix the car so that it does (dealer only, not PP). Now with port injected engines, if the car fails, AND it seems to run right with no check engine light, the problem is usually the cats. Bad injectors will cause the cats to fail, as will as speed bumps. Are both of the cats getting hot? Also make sure the check engine light comes on when you turn the ignition on. People like to take out or break the lamp when its on and they want to sell the car. It won't pass without a working lamp, at least here in Arizona. Check independantly, the dealer is trying to sell the car, and they are pros at it. Again, I'm not saying it's a bad car, a bad deal, or even a bad dealer.

edit, I should have added that this on OBD1 engines (through m y 1995, OBD2's after 1996 have oxygen sensors after the cat.

Last edited by zr1fred; 11-08-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:44 AM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

The check engine light did come on and went out out like it is supposed to. The other lights came on as well. I'm not sure that I would have them do the injectors. The starter was sluggish starting up but with
88k on miles, not suprising. Mine was like that when I bought and then I changed it out. Fires off like a bandit. It is definitely a bargininng chip because that will cost them some serious money to do it. Assuming that they know how.

From my experience and that of others, generally it's the injectors and I suspect that it has the original ones in there as well as spark plugs. The stock injectors are not designed for ethanol and it causes all sorts of bad things to happen. I had a long discussion with a guy who does injectors for a living. The new injectors can handle the new fuel.

Last edited by JetJock; 11-08-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:50 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Decided to pass on this one. Bought Dallas916's instead.
More pics here.
While I don't think his is quite as nice on the exterior (maybe a 6.5-7 vs a 7-7.5), it's just as good on the interior (a solid 8), and WAY better mechanically (a solid 9). Plus it's got ported/polished topend, with an awesome black powder coating on the engine, 4.10 gears, chip, and 5 spokes.

Beyond that, like I stated above, it's at least a 9 mechanically with nothing needing done except new tires in the near future (due to age, not wear). Contrast that to the 92 at the dealer, which is probably only a 5-7 mechanically (all the things already listed in the post).

Anyway, not saying the 92 is a bad deal, but Ken's is a better all around car for the same money.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:29 PM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey, that looks like my car! Glad that you found something that you like. I got those new rims on and the car looks hot! The interior looks like my wife's 91 Coupe. When you get it, let's take pics of the two cars together. They look damn near identical except for the different exhaust stacks. Way to go, dude!

I thought that you didn't want a black car! Welcome to the stealth crowd.

Last edited by JetJock; 11-12-2010 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Thought of more things to say!!!
Old 11-12-2010, 11:33 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Looking forward to getting together with you for a ZR-1 day. Maybe we can round up a few other DFW ZR-1 owners for a meet sometime in the near future. Really looking forward to getting back in the Corvette community.

Get notified of new replies

To 92 dark red 88k $14k dallas

Old 11-13-2010, 12:22 AM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

There are a few guys in the LSCC that have ZR-1's and some that are local that have one or two of them. One of them I've met at Rosa's Cafe. He has a Quasar Blue 92 ZR-1. Another guy has a 90 red Z that he uses for NCRS. He posts on here occasionally. We are everywhere. Another guy that I know wears pink tutus and drives a 91 black ZR-1. You can see a pic of him with his tutu on http://www.lonestarcorvette.com

Let me know when you get it and I'll come over with a camera.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:14 AM
MR.LT1
Drifting

Congrats on the new ride she is a beauty.....
Old 11-26-2010, 12:24 AM
Nacho_ZR1
Instructor

Default I'm the guy that bought the 92 Z...

Hi Evan and JetJock,

I just sent you both a PM. I purchased this car 2 days ago and apart from the inspection sticker, radio not working, and the rattles, the motor felt very strong and tranny was shifting pretty well.

Anyway, I am a first time ZR-1 owner and am excited to have found this place. Hope to hear from ya'll soon

Quick Reply: 92 dark red 88k $14k dallas