C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Yet another tireless thread on the Stock Airbox

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Nacho_ZR1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another tireless thread on the Stock Airbox

I feel almost guilty writing this. I've been doing a search on the ZR1 Registry and CF and it seems there's about a couple hundred threads on the issue.

I promise I will be brief. I can't find any pics of a 1992 Stock Airbox but I suspect mine has been cut. The reason is, the bottom of the lid is simply a huge cutout and the edges feel sharp - not factory. The air filter the car came with is a K&N.

I saw a post where someone said the stock airbox with the paper filter flowed better than the K&N and cutout? I've also seen posts where people "reverse" the airbox? Other people state they have an open airbox altogether so I am picturing box sides of the airbox being cut?

Anyway, I'd love some pics and perhaps a consensus on what is best for an otherwise stock ZR1 with exhaust. Also, any tips on reinforcing the stock air intake pipe? I think I read somewhere that some people use a wire coat hanger? Another person used Dryer ducting from home depot?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:52 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Factory or open lid filter works good.
Open lid is stock but on the top it's open so you can see the top of the k and n filter.

I'd probably buy a new or good used duct. Yes, you can use all types of things to keep snorkel open, just make sure it doesn't get sucked into motor.

Last edited by xlr8nflorida; 12-10-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:38 PM
JetJock
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Nacho_ZR1
I feel almost guilty writing this. I've been doing a search on the ZR1 Registry and CF and it seems there's about a couple hundred threads on the issue.

I promise I will be brief. I can't find any pics of a 1992 Stock Airbox but I suspect mine has been cut. The reason is, the bottom of the lid is simply a huge cutout and the edges feel sharp - not factory. The air filter the car came with is a K&N.

I saw a post where someone said the stock airbox with the paper filter flowed better than the K&N and cutout? I've also seen posts where people "reverse" the airbox? Other people state they have an open airbox altogether so I am picturing box sides of the airbox being cut?

Anyway, I'd love some pics and perhaps a consensus on what is best for an otherwise stock ZR1 with exhaust. Also, any tips on reinforcing the stock air intake pipe? I think I read somewhere that some people use a wire coat hanger? Another person used Dryer ducting from home depot?
I thought that you were supposed to be working in SJC. You finished reading The Heart of The Beast yet? I will send you pics of my car with the stock airbox.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Graybeard ZR1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used the same setup you have now, and it works well. I don't know how someone can say that an open lid and a K&N flows less that a stock setup...unlikely.
I have the "Forced Air" bumper breather setup. I don't know how much more it flows, but I cut another .10 off my e.t. in the 1/4 mi. after installing it.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Nacho_ZR1
Instructor

Originally Posted by JetJock
I thought that you were supposed to be working in SJC. You finished reading The Heart of The Beast yet? I will send you pics of my car with the stock airbox.
Hehehe, it's been slow here at eBay this week so I've spent most of my time reading the book AND browsing these forums...Gotta love the holidays
Old 12-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Nacho_ZR1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Graybeard ZR1
I've used the same setup you have now, and it works well. I don't know how someone can say that an open lid and a K&N flows less that a stock setup...unlikely.
I have the "Forced Air" bumper breather setup. I don't know how much more it flows, but I cut another .10 off my e.t. in the 1/4 mi. after installing it.
Here is the link where I was reading this. Apparently Locobob did some research on this subject a few years ago. Yes, I know this is an old thread but I found it very informative:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...o-results.html

Old 12-09-2010, 04:07 PM
locobob
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The jist of my test was that none of the 3 set-up's tested showed a gain outside of what could be considered the normal run to run dyno variation - Except possibly the "Claw" with it's repeated slight improvements to mid-range power.
K&N filters can also be artificially restricted by over-oiling, although I don't think that was a factor here.
I see no reason not to use a cut-lid if it doesn't cost you anything, just don't expect much if any benefit from it.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:59 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,282 Likes on 1,195 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Stock airbox has a bunch of vents cut in it. If a previous owner has cut the stock airbox, you might as well keep it unless you're going for an NCRS quality show car.

As for intake duct supports, check these out.

As for exhaust, I think I'm going to try removing the restrictions in the stock unit before going aftermarket (besides the Borla mufflers that are on it). I've got a 2.75" x-pipe coming to replace the restrictive stock resonator, and then I'll probably replace the factory cats with high flow units. The big issues with the stock C4 exhaust to me always seemed to be the restriction right before the cats and resonator where the exhaust necks down. Plus of course the factory resonator.

Get notified of new replies

To Yet another tireless thread on the Stock Airbox

Quick Reply: Yet another tireless thread on the Stock Airbox